Author Topic: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC  (Read 11667 times)

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:42:34 AM »
Looks like you have to have a badge to access Harbor drive.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:34:11 AM by Zero »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Closing the front of convention center
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
I think this will cause a lot of comment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:54:59 PM »

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »
Great idea.  It will be interesting to see how much it solves the congestion problem around the building.  Last year, I remember trying to get from the far end to Indigo and it took forever just because of the sidewalk congestion.  But, I don't have a good sense of how much that congestion was non-badgeholders.  I recall quite a few cosplayers, who cause congestion because they stop to pose while people take their photos and woe to anyone trying to get around them to get somewhere.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:14:39 AM »
Link and props to the SDCC U Blog article.

I think this will cause a lot of comment!

Let's get started ;)

Doesn't sound like they will have scanners outside? So will it be a visual inspection? My main question is what happens with people who have single day badges, are they only allowed "in the zone" on the days they are badged for?

Have to think there are some locals that are not happy, the folks that use the convention center's steps for exercise for example.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
It's not just foot traffic, but vehicle traffic will be banned in front of the convention center from First to Park.

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:22:52 AM »

Thanks I was on my phone and I couldn’t get back to to SDCC U blog

Link and props to the SDCC U Blog article.

Let's get started ;)

Doesn't sound like they will have scanners outside? So will it be a visual inspection? My main question is what happens with people who have single day badges, are they only allowed "in the zone" on the days they are badged for?

Have to think there are some locals that are not happy, the folks that use the convention center's steps for exercise for example.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »

Actually, I think those steps were closed off to the public as well as SDCC badge holders last year.  I remember passing by and seeing signs that no one was allowed on those steps by Hall C...

The main concern, in my opinion, would be getting to the parking lot structures, which sounds like could be rather troublesome this time around.  For those commuting to the convention, it may take some planning to make sure you get to the correct location to enter the Hilton or convention center's underground parking lot.

For the convention center's underground parking lot, you'll have to come from First Avenue.  For Hilton Bayfront parking, you'll have to come from the Park Boulevard side of the convention center.

More maps from the visitsandiego.com website:

Road closure map for SDCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Traffic flow around the convention center for SDCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Shuttle routes for SDCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

----------

Forum Housekeeping:

Renamed the thread title from "Closing the front of convention center" to "Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC" (to mostly clarify the topic at a quick glance).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:13:59 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
It's not just foot traffic, but vehicle traffic will be banned in front of the convention center from First to Park.

Yes, but I was referring the the "badgeholder only" zones around the convention center.  If you don't have a badge, you won't be allowed on the sidewalk or the Hall H waiting area.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:40 AM »

I think it's unclear where they will put the scanners.  At NYCC, the scanners aren't at the doors but a little distance away from the doors.  You can't get anywhere near the doors unless you have your badge scanned (and your bags searched, because it is New York).  It's kind of like the security stations at the airport.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »
The PDF really alleviates all confusion. Non attendees will not be able to enter the street or sidewalks that surround the convention center, and will be limited to the sidewalk along the bay. I never thought about the need for this change, but I'm actually pretty thrilled about it. I really do think this will alleviate the walkways/crowding, especially on the weekend, and it'll make me feel a little safer from the random passerbys looking for a way to get in. There's just been a lot of tourist traffic by the entrance the last few years, I think this change will hopefully aid congestion

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 07:55:13 AM »
Am I reading the map wrong, or have they moved the shuttle stops out to Harbor Road?
This alone would alleviate a lot of the bottlenecks in front the the Convention Center.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:13:08 AM »
Am I reading the map wrong, or have they moved the shuttle stops out to Harbor Road?
This alone would alleviate a lot of the bottlenecks in front the the Convention Center.

According to this map from the visitsandiego.com website, it certainly looks like it would be the case:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »
The vehicle traffic thing makes me feel safer. As sad as it is that we need to think about this, it's an important step in preventing one type of terrorism that we've seen in Europe and Canada.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 08:20:41 AM »
Very interesting development. Hopefully, it will be pulled off in a way that isn't too much of a burden on those that need to access the CC. It's a plus for me as an attendee, for sure.

For reference, here is the article from the convention center website.

Ang

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »
Does this also mean no activations/offsites on the Hilton lawn and back side of the convention center? That's going to be a lot of empty space.