Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14834 times)

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »
Has it peaked in terms of content? That's hard to say.. But popularity? Far from it, and that's actually the reason I think the content has hit a plateau state.

Ever since SDCC hit it's massive peak a few years back, conventions EVERYWHERE just skyrocketed in popularity. Being involved in some local pop culture convention became more of an easy norm to get into, and it was no longer just for the most passionate of geeks. Sdcc was less accessible, but everyone wants in on the convention craze. That's why D23 has been capitalizing more on their own brand.. more people want to go to a convention they can actually get into while still getting that exclusive, vip content that brought the nerdy excitement/hype toward the con scene to begin with.

Cons everywhere are capitalizing on the parts of the industry that they can get, and either companies are weighing if their best investment lies with exclusivity or continuing an expensive year to year push at the big dance. Aside from cases like D23, its not that the content is spreading out to an over-saturated market.. Though I'm sure it hurts them to choose. I'm a little sad to see less exciting offsites.. or less swag (I miss all of the shirts I used to get).. but in terms of the guests and experiences we do still get? It's still second to none. Who knows, we can just say that each year is different.. it's hard to say it'll just improve each year in terms of amount of content. But even if things spread out or change, it's never a letdown.

And I know that sdcc will still be the talk of the town when it's over.. either by the petty ("it's not even a comic con.. just advertisement/Hollywood con") or the tons and tons who always have sdcc set as their dream con and just haven't had the chance or knowledge to try
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:50:39 PM by epicaz »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did they mentioned Bakersfield in that episode?  I though they were headed to San Diego from Pasadena (CalTech) on either the 15 or 215 through the Inland Empire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The episode name was called The Bakersfield Expedition, so it was even in the episode title.
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 10:45:51 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »
Don't get me started on a BBT rant (although, I still watch it, only because of Sheldon) I am still salty about Amy ruining Raiders of the Lost Ark for Sheldon.
There was an ep. of that show (which I am really really not a fan of) where they were waiting for some "director's cut" of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.  Now, I'm not only a huge movie fan but especially that of RAIDERS.  I'm very well aware there is no other cut of RAIDERS, so I was automatically eye-rolling at the top of the ep.  But they were in line talking about 'deleted scenes' put back in, and it was completely maid up nonsense.  There are actually a myriad of deleted scenes and concepts from that film that a very simple google search would've accomplished.  But no: they went with BS.

Yes, my problem with the not-that-funny-IMO show about 'nerds' is seemingly I'm nerdier than they are.  It also REALLY bugged me when they had the cold-open of them constantly hitting 'refresh' trying to get Comic-Con badges.  The first time I saw that I was all, "these guys are geniuses and can't read simple instructions of not hitting refresh?!  These people are complete morons."

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
I think the BBT is in ways funny but sometimes goes over board or maybe up stuff to keep things going sometimes. im sure some stuff not true since they are supposed to be so smart in their field of expertise or skills. so to have them act and try be like reg people besides the smarts it tries to be funny in variety of ways. if they get to a point where the writers feel drained and try find way to end the show then it may happen at any time later. but for any show they try to keep going till they see a decent way to end if it ever happens later.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
I find myself wondering (Don't read if you haven't seen Infinity Wars)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
SDCC popularity.
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »

That is hilarious! Er, I mean very sad.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »

If so likely only for 2019, then back to status quo  :P

Also, how awesome/horrific would the Infinity Gauntlet be to wield at Comic-Con?!?!

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »
If this is what waning popularity is that's just fine.  Tickets were a pain, parking was a pain, hotels were a pain, I had more plans that I could possibly all do last year.  Doesn't seem slower to me llol

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2018, 02:40:20 AM »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
SDCC popularity.
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »

Marvel also didn’t have a panel or even a booth at WonderCon. Their only presence I can remember was a SHEILD panel without Clark Gregg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
Marvel also didn’t have a panel or even a booth at WonderCon. Their only presence I can remember was a SHEILD panel without Clark Gregg.

No BOOTH?!?!?!  Wow; that seems weird

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »

Uhhh when do we get the floorplan for SDCC 2018.  They must have a booth at SDCC, right? I'm not even big into the exhibit hall, but I can't imagine them not there.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:21 AM »

Uhhh when do we get the floorplan for SDCC 2018.  They must have a booth at SDCC, right? I'm not even big into the exhibit hall, but I can't imagine them not there.
I think the floor plan gets released in June. One of my fav milestones!

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »

I’m sure they’ll have a booth at SDCC.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »

Marvel almost never has a booth at WonderCon, so that's nothing out of the ordinary. At D23, yes they've had their own booth in past years. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. As for SDCC, OF COURSE they'll have their booth! Regardless of whether they hold panels, Marvel will have their own booth. It is, after all, a comic book publisher as well as a movie studio. So even if they don't have any movies to push they can push their comics and Marvel merch. I'm a sucker for their pins and shirts.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson