Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14751 times)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2018, 04:06:01 PM »
I just gotta make a note and add to game plan list as what to do and visit so i am able to check early incase some really good swag before all the marvel fans grab all or any and try by chance resale later lol. not saying that everyone does resale but hope i can see and have chance get something i really want at time but before all is gone or sold out by chance or all freebies are gone. but since con is like 4 and half days i sure they have plenty cause not really sure how many try go to the panels but im guessing alot lol.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
The popularity of the con is not going down.  At worst, it has plateaued.  Even if the big movie studios pull back from presenting, you still have TV and video games and toys that get people excited to come.  I think the main thing that could hamper continuing interest in Comic Con is if it gets harder and harder for younger fans (specifically kids and teens) who would otherwise think it be cool to come not be able to come.  Its already starting to get pretty pricey for kids and with limited opportunities to come (fast sellouts, harder to get into volunteer spots, etc) the con does risk not being able to foment the next wave of Comic Con goers.

Like I came when Sunday tickets were half off for people 16 and under (so about $10). After that, I was able to volunteer for 12 hours each con week to get a free badge for all four days plus PN.  Those half ticket prices are long gone and with volunteering being just as hard as getting a regular ticket, I can imagine most people who want to check out the con on whim simply moving on to something else.

Hopefully one day soon, the con can expand and give more people the opportunity to come experience Comic Con.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 06:06:25 AM »

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its already starting to get pretty pricey for kids

Like I came when Sunday tickets were half off for people 16 and under (so about $10).

Kids are free and juniors are half price.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
Dubb is right. Until age 17, kids are half price (and free through age 12).

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
I've been attending SDCC since 2008 and watched the popularity of the convention absolutely skyrocket with the addition of Hollywood.

Every year though, it seems more studios/companies/productions pull out of SDCC. With Marvel not doing a Hall H panel this year, it go me thinking.

Has SDCC started its descent in popularity/relevance?

Most major movie studios have abandoned SDCC, the freebies/handouts have decreased both in quantity and quality, Disney chooses to showcase almost all of their stuff at D23 now and continues to gobble up more entertainment, Lionsgate pulled out of the deal with Comic-Con HQ, Nerd HQ is no more, Conival has decreased in scope and size, and the general craziness/fervor just seems less now.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

I for one would be thrilled if the crowds thinned a bit.  Is SDCC waning in popularity?  No, I don't think so.  It's simply to big a market to showcase goods.  The name alone sells products.  There will always be someone or a company that wants to be a part of it.  SDCC could sell out without ever having listed any celebs, studios, or exclusives.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2018, 11:15:09 AM »
Oh man brain fart. I knew kids being free if they are accompanied by an adult, but for some reason, I thought they had done away with the half off for teens.  Good to know. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
The Con as i hear and read is pop culture. it used to be just focused on comics and guess variety other stuff. but now it has encompassed or expanded to other genres overtime so that has attracted more traffic overtime. San Diego is one of the big 3 that almost everyone try to go to every year i have learned over the years. for any person, vendor, or booth that decide to skip the year then there is always others who will take the spot or space to try check out or sale more stuff at the con. it not a place that is open all year, it only around for a window of time then it gone till next year to bring more or new stuff ea year. im guessing if price for badge go up then those who still wanna go so bad will then or maybe switch to volunteer line to get in and help every year. i saw that last year in a fb group tagging anyone who they know wanna go and volunteer for this year lol. i was able to do for 4 days and was alot busy and fun. was able to do it mid day so had that window of time before and after job to do anything like roam around and stuff. so something major would happen for them to loose so much traffic any year and all. they already know what they gotta do and doing what they can with what they got right now. i am happy i am able to go again and show support to those who help keep the event going.

Offline EightiesKid

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »
I expect that the con will continue to remain popular.  The demographics of the con and the offerings may change over time, but the crowds will remain high.  There has been a lot of mainstream media coverage due to the increased presence of movies and television over the years, and if movies and TV shows pull back then mainstream media coverage may also diminish.  However, that may not be a bad thing. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
Last year i made a point to check in with those who helped keep the event going as to comic related and all. seeing how the media and more has kinda taken traffic away from those who help keep the con alive by the creation of comics and all. so i check out artist alley and try get any comic signed possible. i just dont go with a pile lol cause i have learned some start to charge if gotta sign so many lol. i then roam around and get swag i want most and value since last year i got too much i think and some may never read or use lol. i never thought the con was gonna get so big really. but they are trying to expand any way possible. hope to mix it up some and check out offsites maybe depends on what is there. so i not just wonder around and try go by notes and do what i can this year.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
At least from what I can see, every person with a semblance of nerd in them knows the name SDCC.. which is usually followed by a "I've always wanted to go" ;)

As long as that remains, I can't see it ever bending unless sdcc's content and exclusivity truly becomes widely accessible amongst other cons.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »
At least from what I can see, every person with a semblance of nerd in them knows the name SDCC.. which is usually followed by a "I've always wanted to go" ;)

As long as that remains, I can't see it ever bending unless sdcc's content and exclusivity truly becomes widely accessible amongst other cons.

And then you start to explain how to get tickets and increase their odds and most decide it's too much effort  ???  But they still totally wanna go!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »
If not already mentioned before, i noticed this past months when volunteer chance opened that alot or many was tagging friends for a chance to do it since getting a reg badge was not easy. not sure how many of those tagged got in the door so to speak, but guessing they feel lucky to have a chance if got emails and made sure to check in to get all the forms need to turn in later. i was even told i was lucky to get in seeing how times have changed and know some who have done so before but decide to skip for any reason. i do the best i can to help and guess if they dont have to replace u or not gotta like lecture u any of any u do wrong then all is good. not exactly sure how they tell u that u cant volunteer anymore, but i really dont wanna be in the spot either. all i can do is follow the steps and do best i can on any job , but hope can do job i already know so they dont gotta keep training me for a new job every year or ea day.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
If not already mentioned before, i noticed this past months when volunteer chance opened that alot or many was tagging friends for a chance to do it since getting a reg badge was not easy. not sure how many of those tagged got in the door so to speak, but guessing they feel lucky to have a chance if got emails and made sure to check in to get all the forms need to turn in later. i was even told i was lucky to get in seeing how times have changed and know some who have done so before but decide to skip for any reason. i do the best i can to help and guess if they dont have to replace u or not gotta like lecture u any of any u do wrong then all is good. not exactly sure how they tell u that u cant volunteer anymore, but i really dont wanna be in the spot either. all i can do is follow the steps and do best i can on any job , but hope can do job i already know so they dont gotta keep training me for a new job every year or ea day.

Who knows, they say that the department head of the area you worked can request you again for the same spot.  PreCon shifts have been popular  the last few years and the jobs a bit easier.

Alot of mixed comments, but seeing how so many try go and miss a chance cause badge sell so fast that i saw alot people tagging others in a fb group last year and it was alot lol. i only discovered volunteer by checking the account and seeing volunteer tab and was thinking why not cause save u a bundle to help for a few ea day and still enjoy the event. not sure how many actually try for a badge and get mad and then try volunteer and get in by that way every year. i think anyone who not able get a badge by sales but by volunteer should be thankful and happy its another option so u not gotta just enjoy off sites every year but get to go in and check out stuff u want and get any free stuff by chance. not sure if to say the bubble burst but they do need more space however they are able to do so overtime. but i think offsite stuff or events helps to keep the center not so crowded at anytime to where u able to walk around in empty space at anytime cause everyone is downstairs, in a panel, or outside checking out stuff around the center.

Yes, volunteer aspect seems to mirror SDCC popularity.

I know they ask u if u wanted to at time u checkd in a while back, but guessing they send u email if they gave u a spot to work before the event. so guessing u have to wait for mail for any updates since they still busy with WonderCon news and all.

Not sure, did you choose a PreCon shift?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:29:43 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »
I did not do a pre con shift last year and did not choose to do one this year.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
I don't think comic-con has pulled back or plateaued at all.  I think it's expanding to meet more demand.  Sunday used to be half day, now it's pretty much a full day.  Also many offsites used to shutdown on Sunday and shutdown for the day around 5 or 6.  Last year, some offsites were opened until 12am.

Last fall I was in Akiba and while looking through some figures, said to the couple next to me that they should go to comic-con to find figures if they can't find them here.  They said it was on their bucket list.