Author Topic: Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope, Ballroom 20, 8:30-10:30  (Read 21887 times)

Offline lynx

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: Comic Con: A Fan's Hope
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
No problem, glad you can see it! And maybe see yourself, heheh. I'm in the Bay Area too but won't be able to attend the screening. I'll have to catch it sometime though. :)

Offline stonecutterjeff

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
just watched it on my playstation. wish they did more with the toy collector. i like reading batman and walking dead but i wouldn't consider myself a comic geek. i usually collect vinyl toys and that is the main reason i am going this year. looks like its hard as hell to get rare toys. but I'm willing to fight to get them
Check Out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
VGRevolution Geek Culture Editor/Writer

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope, Ballroom 20, 8:30-10:30
« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:08:31 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »
Well I'm not in it, but when I saw how few people were I'm not surprised. Apparently some celebs didn't make the cut either. They had 'special thanks' to Felicia Day and Nathan Fillian but they weren't in the film.

I agree, it would have been fun to see more of the toy collector, but his story was short. He got the toys he wanted at Preview Night, so not much more to say, KWIM?

Offline BustAGroove

• Exhibit Hall
  • Nerd Gurl In Search Of A Peaceful Soul
    • FaceBook
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »
I went to the red carpet premiere ArcLight Hollywood and after party with a few friends at St. Felix. 

Spurlock intro'd the movie and Stan Lee gave a special shout-out to fans in attendance. I sat a few rows away from Joss Whedon and Clark Gregg.  Overall, the documentary talked about the heart of Comic-Con and how it's becoming less about the comic-book industry and fans and more about pop culture with a heavy-handed "Hollywood" influence. Morgan Spurlock & crew did a great job in following struggling and overnight sensation artists to capture their passion about 'Con and what keeps them going when they face rejection. Kevin Smith and Eli Roth were the best celebrities interviewed.

There were a lot of laughs in the audience and they talked about the "smell of Comic-Con" in the documentary.  Quote of the night from one of my friends, Gary: "Stan Lee loves being "Stan Lee"." He's a very gracious gentleman who loves his fans. Although ticket sales for other areas are giving away DVD version of the movie with limited edition action figures from likenesses of in the documentary, we didn't get any souvenirs to take home.

Here's some pictures I took at the red carpet premiere and after party:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and YouTube video: 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:06:24 PM by BustAGroove »
Geek Out - Comic-Con Madness (Pinterest)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
Thanks for the review! How exciting to be there! I can see how the crowd was perfect for the film, in terms of getting all of the references (like Con funk).

Offline GoatCheese510

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »
EPIC FLICK! Gets me all hyped up for the con!

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
OMG. My best friend and I JUST watched the movie together to hype ourselves up for our SDCC vacation - and we both LOVED it! (And Kevin Smith. This guy, SERIOUSLY. "And five-year-old me would say, 'How did we get so fat?'" - HAA!) 

As SDCC newbies, tourists and not-exactly comic geeks ourselves, the documentary offered a broad range of con-goer profiles and perspectives that really lent some insight into our (honestly myopic) conceptions about the whole affair. For example, we had no idea that it was also a platform for aspiring comic artists to catch their big break. It was inspiring to follow Skip and Eric along their journey to get discovered by a major publishing houses. We were full-on rooting for both guys and I actually whooped out loud when Eric received glowing reviews.

Also, the marriage proposal arc was both hilarious and heartwarming. Initially when this story came up I thought it was going to be yet another cliche (possibly with some flash mob razzle dazzle or getting a celeb to help with the proposal) but at the end of it all, it just felt so genuine and I was sincerely happy for the couple. Although the girlfriend kinda annoyed me a little with her clingy nature. Seriously, woman! I bet the matching couple tees were her idea. -__-

As a cosplayer, I was personally very taken by Holly's story and her cosplay team entry performance. It was also my first glimpse into what the Masquerade would be like, and BY GOLLY THE STANDARD OF COSPLAY IS INCREDIBLE. All those mechanical and light effects and massive wing extensions and skit rehearsing! I used to take part in these events with a whole team and skit way, way back when I was still in uni and watching it just brought back all these memories.

The other sad aspect of Comic-Con talked about how the Con has evolved from a predominantly Comic-based thing to a full-blown pop culture clusterf--- of superstars, crazed fans, overwhelming media and original geeks. I do feel bad for comic store owners; you really witness their struggle (much like traditional book store owners) against the inevitable death of print, the rampant spread of piracy and new pop culture that bypasses the original comic for silver screen adaptations. It's crazy how Chuck was putting out that Red Raven comic for half a million bucks (WHAT THE - HE PUT IT IN A SAFE. THE TRANSPORTERS HANDCUFFED THE BRIEFCASE TO THEMSELVES. WHAT.) but then again I was really hoping he'd find a buyer, or at least find a way to salvage his business. (Even though I'm a Kindle addict, and as of last month I've stopped buying physical graphic novels and started purchasing them via the Comixology Store App instead. Hey, I love the portability and lack of dust and silverfish.)

Admittedly, I'm not so much of a comic or even sci-fi/fantasy fan. I've always loved fiction novels, and so my love for graphic novels (Sandman, Lucifer, Unwritten, Fables, Y:The Last Man etc) is the closest I can get to the whole comic culture. I love my TV series and movies, and so the panels are a huge factor for my wanting to attend SDCC. And I have a druggie-esque relationship with cosplaying. It's like a money-draining, soul-sucking habit I try to break myself out of but fail and relapse into repeatedly. As for my best friend, she's just curious and quite frankly not into anything comic, cosplay, or fan-related at all. In fact she probably only watched it to make fun of me and the whole geek thing. But here's the amazing thing about the movie - regardless of whether we were ardent fans or clueless folk or even outsiders waiting to poke fun at it, something about following those featured characters as they pursue their passions and agendas just made us all want to jump up and celebrate the whole culture altogether.

Now we're fans more than ever, and can't freaking wait to hop on the plane and get to SDCC, con funk be damned.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the film so much, Dogberry! I agree, they tried to get a good cross-section of people to follow around the Con and portray different aspects. I can understand how the comic lovers feel like the focus has moved away, but IMHO it has become more of a 'comics inspired' Con. Without comic books, many of the forms of entertainment we love now would simply not exist, or at least not be nearly as cool. Yes as you say, comics are going digital and physical comic books are moving into obscurity, soon to become only collector's items for trading. Still, there is need for artists and retailers, but it's a totally different scale than what it used to be. Think abut the comics stores you know today. They not only sell comics, but toys and books and other 'comic-related items'.

We thought the same thing about the girlfriend being so clingy! Doesn't she have a life outside of that relationship? She can't be without this guy for half an hour?

I do think that the one perspective that was missing was of the 'average fan'. The person who goes to the Con and is hunting for SWAG and standing in line for panels and maybe even gets up early to line up on the lawn...I didn't see much of that kind of attendee.

Offline doubleshiny

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
I was in it (for about 2 seconds) and overall I didn't like it. I wrote a review here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
Doubleshiny, I read your review and find it very interesting. It's amazing to me that we can see the same film and interpret it in totally different ways. I don't mean that as a bad thing at all... just fascinating to observe.

You claim that there is not a lot of diversity in the film. Did you mean females or people of color, or other groups of people? One of the 'main characters is a (presumably) African-American man, and the fiance of the 'marriage proposal couple' is Asian. I felt there were many other people of color in the film. (although I didn't count them, so perhaps my memory is faulty.)

As for showing women, I didn't notice anything at all on that front. In fact, I can't recall right now (having seen the film about 2 weeks ago) how many there were in the film, as compared to the number of men in the film. To me, it was just a film about the Con, and on casual viewing I did not notice a disparity at all - certainly nothing to comment on!

That being said, I am wondering how you think more women should have been involved. You are right that some panels are very female-heavy. For example, the Twilight panels are very female-heavy. Would you have preferred to show Twi-Moms waiting in line to drool over 'Edward' and 'Jacob'? Frankly, that would not have made the documentary better for me, and woud have been less interesting to watch than what was shown. I enjoyed watching the female cosplay designer, and I did find the Mile High comics story interesting as well... including how much the owner seemed to rely on his female manager. Could there have been a female aspiring comics artist? Well, yes, possibly, but Spurlock was limited to the people who submitted applications to be a part of the film.

Again, I don't have the film to reference, so if you have access, you may be able to correct my recollection, but it seemed to me that when I was seeing 'background' shots there were plenty of women present. It looked like the Comic Con I know and enjoy.

I do agree that the Slave Leia thing is a bit creepy, but let's face it, the majority of the ones who show up at Comic Con are paid models. While you and I may not be interested in this kind of thing, they're paid to be there and serve a (albeit commercial) purpose. They are a part of the Con. To be fair, Spurlock should have shown the Spartacus men. They don't do much for me personally, but many of my female friends seek them out and get pictures with them. So there is equal opportunity in the realm of 'booth babes', even if Spurlock didn't show that side of it.

If I am missing something in my observations, I would be interested to hear your response.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »
Bummer, didn't sell enough tix to get a home-town San Diego viewing of this  :'(  Guess since we live it, we don't have to see it
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 04:04:39 PM »
Bummer, didn't sell enough tix to get a home-town San Diego viewing of this  :'(  Guess since we live it, we don't have to see it
We can always make our own Comic-Con documentary... ^_~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
Ohhhh can we? Submit a bunch of different videos to one person or group of ppl and splice the best clips together? I live your thinking
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Ohhhh can we? Submit a bunch of different videos to one person or group of ppl and splice the best clips together? I live your thinking
I don't see why not.  The footage isn't copyrighted if you take it yourself, and if you do plan on distributing it online (either on YouTube or facebook), just make sure people sign a waiver form for their image or likeness to be used in the fan-made documentary.  It can be a really cool project, if you have the resources for such an undertaking.

I'm sure we have some talented people here on the forums that might be interested in helping out with the videography (using Adobe Premiere or another video-editing program). I believe certain individuals are in the music business and may be able to help with audio. ^_~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »
Sounds like a cool idea! This one is your baby, Doug!