Author Topic: Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC  (Read 138224 times)

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
Re: Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC
« Reply #495 on: July 16, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any recommendation for Pens to be used on Prints/Posters/Funkos?  Figured it would be a good thing to have a couple of those handy in your pack.
Get a sharpie variety pack. Almost certainly that's what's going to be at signing tables for use but you can carry your own and it allows you to choose your color better.

Offline WeeJavaDude

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #496 on: July 16, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
Get a sharpie variety pack. Almost certainly that's what's going to be at signing tables for use but you can carry your own and it allows you to choose your color better.

Thanks..    If I want to go the extra mile any recommendation of a good pen that has archival ink.  THinking about having black, blue and sliver.    saw a recommendation on the internet for Staedtler 2.0mm Silver Marker
, but I don't know if that is overkill.   

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #497 on: Today at 09:15:17 AM »

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #497 on: July 16, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
Any recommendation for Pens to be used on Prints/Posters/Funkos?  Figured it would be a good thing to have a couple of those handy in your pack.

Sharpies are pretty standard for me. I get different colors (black, silver, gold) and different types (standard size plus the thin ones). I also pack a few ball point pens and a pencil. As always test if the ink will stick on an unused section of the item you want signed. Most times now, signers will have pens with them, but carry a few in case.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC
« Reply #498 on: July 17, 2019, 01:50:54 AM »

My personal preference:

- For lighter background, standard black or blue Sharpies will do just fine.

- For darker backgrounds or Funkos, I'd recommend paint pens. If you've got time to get to a Michael's or something similar, I'd recommend metallic paint pens (the ones you gotta shake up) from a manufacturer like Prismacolor or Decocolor; Sharpie makes paint pens but I've never used them. In my experience, a metallic silver always pops more against a dark background and be much more clean than a standard silver or gold Sharpie. The downside is paint pen signatures take a little longer to dry and can get a little messy. I've always found metallic Sharpies to be hit or miss when they're new, and tend to dry out fairly quickly.

If I'm part of a signing where I see the individual or group using metallic Sharpies, I usually request them to use my Prismacolor if possible.

Someone on a sports collecting forum did a comparison of silver markers I found super useful (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). Then a comparison from my own collection of two signatures on glossy photos from Walgreens:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:54:42 AM by Cut That Meat »
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline WeeJavaDude

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #499 on: July 17, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »
My personal preference:

- For lighter background, standard black or blue Sharpies will do just fine.

- For darker backgrounds or Funkos, I'd recommend paint pens. If you've got time to get to a Michael's or something similar, I'd recommend metallic paint pens (the ones you gotta shake up) from a manufacturer like Prismacolor or Decocolor; Sharpie makes paint pens but I've never used them. In my experience, a metallic silver always pops more against a dark background and be much more clean than a standard silver or gold Sharpie. The downside is paint pen signatures take a little longer to dry and can get a little messy. I've always found metallic Sharpies to be hit or miss when they're new, and tend to dry out fairly quickly.

If I'm part of a signing where I see the individual or group using metallic Sharpies, I usually request them to use my Prismacolor if possible.

Someone on a sports collecting forum did a comparison of silver markers I found super useful (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). Then a comparison from my own collection of two signatures on glossy photos from Walgreens:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Great responses.   Thanks everyone!

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #500 on: July 18, 2019, 04:21:53 AM »
If you trying to get an autograph ticket on the exhibition floor when it opens up forget it, usually vendors and friends of vendors will be in line when you get down there. I’ve been in line way up front to get onto the floor and when I arrive at booth line is capped already. So try for autographs up in Sails pavilion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline manofsteel25

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #501 on: July 19, 2019, 12:56:17 AM »
I tried for Doom Patrol Sat but struck out.  So far no one has been willing to trade on that so I'm wondering for those with experience does WB do an overflow/standby line and if so what are the odds of getting in?  I managed this with Shazam Signing at Wonder Con this way but understand WC can be a different beast to SDCC.

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #502 on: July 20, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »
I tried for Doom Patrol Sat but struck out.  So far no one has been willing to trade on that so I'm wondering for those with experience does WB do an overflow/standby line and if so what are the odds of getting in?  I managed this with Shazam Signing at Wonder Con this way but understand WC can be a different beast to SDCC.

Last year WB didn't do any standby (and that was the year where you could enter as many lotteries as you wanted, so there were a ton of people who won signings who didn't go and get them.  Some signings had less than 20 people go through).  I would say this year, since I assume people only entered things they were interested in because of the limited number of entries, most people would be showing up and there wouldn't be standby.

However, I don't think you missed out on much. A friend won the doom patrol through the exclusives portal, and from what he said, there was only one person there signing (I'm not sure who).

Offline koop1974

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #503 on: July 20, 2019, 06:33:18 PM »
Last year WB didn't do any standby (and that was the year where you could enter as many lotteries as you wanted, so there were a ton of people who won signings who didn't go and get them.  Some signings had less than 20 people go through).  I would say this year, since I assume people only entered things they were interested in because of the limited number of entries, most people would be showing up and there wouldn't be standby.

However, I don't think you missed out on much. A friend won the doom patrol through the exclusives portal, and from what he said, there was only one person there signing (I'm not sure who).

My daughter and I won signings for Doom Patrol. Diane Guerrero (Crazy Jane) and Executive Producer Jeremy Carver signed. I had hoped to meet Brendan Fraser but I shouldn’t complain. Both Diane and Jeremy were very nice and personable. However, I saw a few posts on twitter of people posting pics of April Bowlby at a SDCC party last nite & were asking why she could party but couldn’t make the signing. It would have been nice to see her.

Offline manofsteel25

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #504 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:46 AM »
I saw Diane and Jeremy at the DC Universe Panel (and VERY happy to hear we are getting a season 2 of Doom Patrol!!!!) So assumed they were the ones signing. I'd have been happy to meet them and have a signature but indeed disappointing a few more of the cast like April (at the party but. not the signing or panel is weird but... contracts? schedule? who knows).  I missed out on the doom patrol lithograph poster they were giving away to DC members on Thurs too. By the time I found out they were only giving out Titans posters to DC Members and meh. 

Offline SARAHHINSLEY

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #505 on: March 01, 2020, 09:29:10 AM »
If you trying to get an autograph ticket on the exhibition floor when it opens up forget it, usually vendors and friends of vendors will be in line when you get down there. I’ve been in line way up front to get onto the floor and when I arrive at booth line is capped already. So try for autographs up in Sails pavilion.
I gave up on getting autographs on the exhibition floor a couple of years ago for the same reason. I haven't had any luck with the lottery raffle either. Fingers crossed this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #506 on: April 17, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
Extra pens are a fantastic idea!

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #507 on: July 23, 2023, 03:14:06 PM »

Get some paint pens for Funko Pops. My first signature was a normal sharpie, but I saw everyone else with paint pens. Tbe different was noticeable. The paint pops beautifully on the plastic.