Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57918 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, volunteers do not get any special perks for parking. Getting the free badge IS the only perk.

Wait, isn't there a t-shirt too? ;)

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »

Indeed I stand corrected, yes, there is a shirt. Something that I always wait till the end to get and my size is always gone. Other than Fundays, I never have a chance to towards MGH to get my shirt during the beginning of the con. Just way too busy.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #287 on: Today at 05:23:46 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2019, 11:47:06 PM »
What kinds of jobs do they have volunteers do pre-con other then bags?

Bags encompasses a bunch of jobs from folding bags to moving boxes to handing out bags.  There's also portals, make sure everyone taps in and out, and of course the always needed directing people where to go.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2019, 11:48:38 PM »

Let's not forget the very best perk, the warm fuzzy satisfaction of a job well done.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »
Hey did anyone else get an invitation to the department volunteer recruiting event?

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »
Hey did anyone else get an invitation to the department volunteer recruiting event?

No. Have you ever gotten one before?
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »

If you got it, I highly suggest attending.....That is all I shall say.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #292 on: April 25, 2019, 12:09:04 AM »
If you got it, I highly suggest attending.....That is all I shall say.

I would too to at least see what they have to offer. Its a great gig but be aware its basically working a job at con and has more responsibilities. You'll have a lot more freedom as a regular volunteer to do whatever you want and see during con. So if you're the type that there is a thing you HAVE to see or do it may not be for you.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2019, 03:11:05 AM »
Not being a local, I am always a bit jelly of those who receive these invitations.  Love to volunteer and would like to discover what being a department volunteer entails.  I realize it is more work...but then...more fun??!! :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2019, 07:08:52 AM »
Not being a local, I am always a bit jelly of those who receive these invitations.  Love to volunteer and would like to discover what being a department volunteer entails.  I realize it is more work...but then...more fun??!! :D

So is it only 'locals' that get that invitation?  And what is considered 'local'.

I understand if there is that limitation.  I'm on the other side of the country.  That kind of invite would mean airfare AND hotel for me.   :) :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #295 on: April 25, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
So is it only 'locals' that get that invitation?  And what is considered 'local'.

I understand if there is that limitation.  I'm on the other side of the country.  That kind of invite would mean airfare AND hotel for me.   :) :)

I got one last year and I’m not local (though I’m not terribly far.)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #296 on: April 25, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »
Same here, I got one last year and I live in LA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #297 on: April 25, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »
I would too to at least see what they have to offer. Its a great gig but be aware its basically working a job at con and has more responsibilities. You'll have a lot more freedom as a regular volunteer to do whatever you want and see during con. So if you're the type that there is a thing you HAVE to see or do it may not be for you.

Correct, suffice to say I know of those who work from 7am to 8pm......I won't say who that is...but trust me, I know of people who do. It doesn't really give you the time to enjoy the con, but this is really for those who don't care so much about the con itself, but to give back to the con.

You shouldn't, it doesn't matter if you're local or not. I know many who are not local. I will say, do not expect more "fun." It really isn't. It's MUCH MUCH MUCH more work, plain and simple. More responsibility than ever. And depending on the department, you may not have time to go enjoy the con at all.

As I stated above, it's not locals only. There is no limitation per se. If you're already coming to SDCC, then airfare and hotel would be paid for either way by you. The difference being, again, you really may not get to see/enjoy much of the con depending on the department. 

I got one last year and I’m not local (though I’m not terribly far.)

It really depends on what department you got assigned as a daily, if they gave you a great score, took notice of you, or otherwise you stood out in some form or fashion. Not everyone gets the email. If you do, I always push everybody to attend. I will not spoil or tell everyone what happens at these events, but again, I am telling you to go for a reason. Take that how you want...... ;)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #298 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »

As I stated above, it's not locals only. There is no limitation per se. If you're already coming to SDCC, then airfare and hotel would be paid for either way by you. The difference being, again, you really may not get to see/enjoy much of the con depending on the department. 

By 'airfare and hotel' I meant for the additional volunteer  department recruiting event.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #299 on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
By 'airfare and hotel' I meant to the additional volunteer  invitation

Ahh yes, correct.  It really depends on your line of thinking. If you think ten years down the line, you'd be happy being a department volunteer for a decade, then you should definitely spend the money.  If you think that may be too much, then not worth it. It boils down to how much of the actual con you care about.