Author Topic: Most Lucky and Unlucky thing that happen to you at Comic Con?  (Read 5170 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: Most Lucky and Unlucky thing that happen to you at Comic Con?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »
Lucky: 

1) Got in to see the Star Wars panel after spending all day just 50 people from the entrance of Hall H and they were not letting anyone in.

2) Got the Omni after hotelpocolypse by calling the central reservation office.  They had only one room left.  Stupid me hung up, then called Omni in San Diego directly and they said they were booked.  Called back the central reservation office and they still had the room.  It did not cost much more than SDCC price, so I took it.  Not sure if that could ever happen again.

Unlucky:  Got booted from our hotel upon check-in because the hotel overbooked.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:06:49 PM by puppy »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
Lucky: Got Conan tickets 4 times.

Unlucky: Was in line for Conan House last year and the last funko was given to the person in front of me.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:26 PM »
Lucky: Got to see Conan twice. First year, he did a single segment (not full show) at the art gallery on 5th Ave, and they only let in much less than 100 people. Second time, my friend happened to have an extra pass for his show at Speckles he wasn't using.

Corollary luck: the show was on the same day/time as the JJ Abrams The Force Awakens panel. It was also when they had the outdoor concert. My sister was in Hall H and she managed to snag me an extra pass to go watch. So I went straight from Conan to the concert. Pretty much my best 3-4 hours of con ever.

Lucky: My sis is a huge Supernatural fan, and somehow I was able to get her NerdHQ tickets to their panels every single year. People who've done NerdHQ panels know, those can be quite literally the hardest tickets in all of SDCC to get (especially with server crashes). And one year, well before the NerdHQ years, I somehow managed to get in line for a Supernatural signing, which was forming during the panel itself (so you either had to go to the panel or get autographs). I was the very last person in line. And I managed to coax the big angry security guy to let my sister swap with me (it took quite a bit of time of convincing, and I had fellow con-goers in line plead on my behalf. Ha).

Unlucky: I haven't ever been truly unlucky to the point where I still think about it / regret it / rue it. The only thing I can say was one year, I could only manage to get Thur/Fri/Sun badges, no Saturday. It's still miles better than not being able to go at all.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:53 PM »
Lucky: maybe not having missed a Thursday-Sunday of Comic-Con since 2000, and seeing almost every PN in its existence?  Getting into Hall H every year at least one day since Hall H opened?  IDK, this is a tough one for me; most of my experiences at Comic-Con I would chalk up to due diligence rather than "luck," as far as getting to meet people, getting into parties, etc.  I've 'accidentally' bumped into celebrities so maybe there's that.  Maybe most fortunate experience was being in a fairly private party with a lot of Marvel comic high-ups and GOAT talents, as well as some Marvel Studios peeps doing shots together and just chatting about comics: no rivalries, not a to of 'shop talk,' just a handful of fans talking comics.  That night Ed Brubaker talked a bit about the crazy idea of bringing Bucky back from the dead as a bad guy (this was well after the he did so, but fun to hear Ed talk shop about how they came up with the idea and ran with it).  Also chatted parenting w/Michael Rooker.  That was probably my most-fun Comic-Con party experience that I do feel fortunate enough to have been able to get into.

Unlucky: maybe missing the Marvel Studios panel where 'Loki' came out to intro (also the Saturday that Batman v Superman was announced).  That was the first year of overnight lineups so when I rolled into the Convention Center at 5:30ish in the morning the line was already ginormous and I thought I wasn't going to get in so I didn't even bother.  I've been to every Marvel Studios panel before and since and I'll always feel a little bit bummed that I missed that one.  It's a silly thing to feel unlucky about in the grand scheme of things, and I don't dwell on it other than "the one that got away" type of story.  Maybe a close second was wearing the Iron Man giveaway shirt to the Dethklok concert on the Midway aircraft carrier: the 'arc reactor' image on the front of the black shirt glows in the dark, and it essentially was little more than a target in the middle of the mosh pit for the death metal band.  Not my best wardrobe decision ever.

Stan Lee I literally accidentally bumped into and knocked on his bum one year - file that under unlucky to have done that, lucky he was extremely cool AND I didn't get killed by an angry comic-fan mob.

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
Lucky: So in early 2015 I decided that myself and a friend were going to go and do this big trip around America (we are from Australia) in 2016. We started at Anaheim for Disneyland and Universal Studios then down to San Diego for Comic Con then across to New Your for 4 days, then Washington DC for 3 and then fly to Vegas for a few days before going home. So flights booked in September of 2015, I had booked accommodations outside of the lottery in like July of 2015 and wasn't to worried about being downtown or not. So open reg comes around in Feb of 2016 and my Mum had decided that she want to come as well, so there was three of us up at 2.00am trying for badge and watching the blue circle of death and none of us get selected, so no SDCC for 2016 for us.

So I decided to email CCI saying that we would be coming from Australia and asking them if there was a waitlist for refunded badges or Volunteer spots open and also asking what sort of thing were around to do that didn't need a badge. I knew there wasn't a waitlist and that the volunteer sign up had happened months ago and were full but I thought that it couldn't hurt to try. So about 10 day after my email I received one back asking what was the member ids and what day did we want to go, it did also state on the email that this wasn't a confirmation that they will be able to assist me but I replied back with what we wanted. The next email I received was that as a one-time courtesy they will sell me 3 Adult 4-Day badges for Comic-Con 2016. And that is my very lucky story of how I got my first Comic Con badge.

I cant really think of anything unlucky, there have been time when I haven't been able to do something but that's Comic Con for you.

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 01:35:59 AM »
Lucky: Getting Jim Lee to sign a Blueline Edition Batman at my first SDCC in 2015. He got the time mixed up and was late to his own panel, but there wasn’t anything else scheduled in the room after, so he stuck around and signed for people. Never gotten close to another of his signings since. Also Nerd HQ and Conan tix. 

That’s my fun one, but more and more I realize the  luckiest has been that every year since 2015 my group of 3 has managed to get a downtown room through hotel sale (not by trading) and badges without a buying group.

Unlucky: Conan Bingo. The group in front of us were the last ones to get in. So close, still gets me...

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »
Seems like most people remember only the lucky part of the con..
Most people here are so optimistic hehe..

Don't know why i remember the unlucky stuff.. I remember one year I got to the airport, aftering check in through the security,my flight and all the Southwest flights  after going to SD that Wednesday night got cancel because of computer glitch. I panic  because i have no idea how to get to San Diego(Drive 11hrs or fly). Try asking American airline and United.It costed $1000 dollar(I can fly to Paris) one way from SFO to SDG. I was like crap.. End up going LAX flying on Virgin American for $250. Got to LAX around 10. Was a madhouse there were people peeing on the floor(not in the bathroom but in the airport hallway)and then riding the LAX tram which goes around the terminal to get to my rental car for an hour...(Yes LA traffic starts the very moment you get off the plane). Finally got to my car drove down to San Diego by 2am.. Check in.... The only bright spot was that the Holiday Inn Express at Mira Mesa was right next to a 24 hours Denny's.. Woke up late to Comic Con but still able to win a raffle for the Superman Conan at the HHH after the third try. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:16:46 AM by ALF »

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Unlucky:  Got booted from our hotel upon check-in because the hotel overbooked.

brutal.

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 09:18:00 AM »
Lucky: Got selected as one of the four people on stage at the Lost panel in 2008 (my first year going to SDCC too). Got an all access pass for the day but was too in awe of everything to understand how magical that could be.

Unlucky: Last year I only got Sunday passes and shut out in hotelpocalypse so I had to pay a lot of attention during the wait list period (thank you to members here who keep an eye out on the onpeak page!) Probably the unluckiest I've ever been but definitely had smaller bad things happen (con crud and the like)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 09:54:29 AM »
Lucky: Living in San Diego and thus being able to attend comic-con relatively hassle free.  No hotelpocalypse for me.

Unlucky: Missing out on the free AMD motherboard/CPU combo at their offsite.  The best free swag ever.  Had problems finding the bar where they held it and then it was too late.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »
Lucky: Making new friends at the con (one of my friends can make friends with anyone in line and by proxy I make friends) and running into one of my friends on Preview Night. I was in the Marvel line like 4-5 years ago on Preview Night and it was more lucky for her I guess because she walked by and I went "Alyx?!" and she went "omg I thought it was you but I didn't want to be creepy" so she hopped into line for me (I know that probably pissed a lot of people off, so I'm sorry to those people but the people around me were cool with it because it was just 1 person.)

Unlucky: Catching the flu from con crud despite obsessive emergen-c in the weeks leading up to and during the con and zicam + obsessively washing hands and using sanitizer. I was out of work for a week, it was so bad.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »

Corollary luck: the show was on the same day/time as the JJ Abrams The Force Awakens panel. It was also when they had the outdoor concert. My sister was in Hall H and she managed to snag me an extra pass to go watch. So I went straight from Conan to the concert. Pretty much my best 3-4 hours of con ever.

I don’t recall them giving out passes to that since they took us right from hall H over to the amphitheater but hey you got in so luck be to you!
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »
I don’t recall them giving out passes to that since they took us right from hall H over to the amphitheater but hey you got in so luck be to you!

Hmm, I thought everyone needed these badges to get in:

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
Hmm, I thought everyone needed these badges to get in:

They did. They gave one to everyone on the way our t of the door of Hall H. I wasn't inside, but my husband and friends were. I met them next to the temporary fence as they rounded the corner behind the convention center. We were able to switch people around to go to the concert, just by switching the passes. You needed the passes to get in and to pick up the free light saber at the show.

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
Yes that was my point but you got those when we got there so obviously they pulled some line switcheroo lol
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face