Author Topic: 2018 SDCC Exclusives: Your Budget  (Read 4255 times)

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
Re: 2018 SDCC Exclusives: Your Budget
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
For me, it's about $400. I'm only into superheroes (DC Classics/Marvel Legends) and G1 Masterpiece Transformers, so that limits my spending a bit. Perhaps I'll pick up Star Wars exclusive here and there. Those big box Hasbro Marvel Legends sets really puts a dent into my budget. Besides the aforementioned, I'll spring for the official T-shirt (that I never wear) and miscellaneous odds and ends that look cool to me, but not much more than that.

More often than not, I end up buying more things for friends than I buy for myself. Last year, my extra suitcase was packed to the gills with exclusives for friends.

Offline EightiesKid

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me, it's about $400. I'm only into superheroes (DC Classics/Marvel Legends) and G1 Masterpiece Transformers, so that limits my spending a bit. Perhaps I'll pick up Star Wars exclusive here and there. Those big box Hasbro Marvel Legends sets really puts a dent into my budget. Besides the aforementioned, I'll spring for the official T-shirt (that I never wear) and miscellaneous odds and ends that look cool to me, but not much more than that.

More often than not, I end up buying more things for friends than I buy for myself. Last year, my extra suitcase was packed to the gills with exclusives for friends.

This for sure!  I bought far more stuff last year for friends than I did for myself.  I helped out a lot of friends at no markup.  It was great to see their faces light up when they got the item they wanted, like we're all back in the 80's again.  Good stuff. 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:06:54 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
Same, I often do a lot of holiday shopping at SDCC. Those Mattel Spider-mobiles from last year really helped me in the uncle rankings for example.

I'm going to try to stick more to a budget this year, not that I'll be spending any less overall but my collecting has expanded to be more outside of the cons. Of course, mainly with companies that I first got into because of SDCC.  I say this with total confidence since not much has been announced yet :)

But what really gets me are all the $10 here $20 there special comics and prints, it's like candy.

Offline TheTFReview

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
It really depends on my work situation. Exclusives and toys are the reason I go to comic con. Usually $600-$1100. One year I went with $40 in my pocket, that year was trippy.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »
I'm cheap.  I don't pickup 3.75" Star Wars action figures for $20 or $15 or $10 or even $5.  I wait for them to be $2 before getting loading up.  Takes about 2 years from the release date for them to get to the liquidators.

Just replace "Star Wars action figures" with "comics" and this is my mantra.  :)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
With many more exclusive announcements now in the rearview mirror, (in Peter Griffin ipecac contest voice), "how's everybody doing?"

Offline Sprayzen1908

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »
Cominc from Australia this is a bucket list item.

I’m looking forward to getting a good art piece to put on the way and a few exclusives to add onto the shelf and say we went to SDCC. If I can nab comics and other things would be awesome. We have 5 kids (not coming) so will shop for them as well. No idea what we will spend but have been saving a while.

What’s the art auction some have talked about?

Offline TheTFReview

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »
With many more exclusive announcements now in the rearview mirror, (in Peter Griffin ipecac contest voice), "how's everybody doing?"

Considering Bluefin alone has me $600+ (if they do infact release the dragonzord early at SDCC).

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
Cominc from Australia this is a bucket list item.

I’m looking forward to getting a good art piece to put on the way and a few exclusives to add onto the shelf and say we went to SDCC. If I can nab comics and other things would be awesome. We have 5 kids (not coming) so will shop for them as well. No idea what we will spend but have been saving a while.

What’s the art auction some have talked about?

This: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Comic-Con International Art Show will once again take place at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel.

Check back later for the exact location. The Art Show will be open to the public. You do not need a Comic-Con badge to attend or purchase art!

Whether you're looking for drawings, paintings, jewelry, sculpture, or even something more unusual, you'll find an eclectic and beautiful selection of items in Comic-Con's Art Show.

The Art Show contains original works for sale by both amateurs and professionals. It also displays the nominated books and comics for this year’s Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards and houses a special exhibit devoted to members of the Will Eisner Hall of Fame.

Many of the original pieces displayed by artists are for sale by silent or voice auction. Some pieces are marked for quick sale. Bidder numbers and Art Show information can be obtained from the administration table inside the Art Show. You must be 18 or older and have legal identification to purchase artwork, and payments may be made with cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard.

Offline ShadowOfLght

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »
I think my budget so far this year is about $400 (although the SOC megaword could change that). I make a list of all the possible exclusives I would like to get, then start to filter out which fits into my collection themes and what just seems really cool. Makes it easy to keep a close eye on what i'm really after and not impulse buy too much.

Offline Sprayzen1908

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 06:47:37 AM »
This: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Awesome thanks

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
I've had some Veterinary expenses come up lately that do have me setting a budget. I sold some Funko Pops, cashed in my piggy bank for the year and also redeemed my credit card's cash rewards for the year. I'm making the total amount of those 3 things my budget. Will let everyone know how that goes after Con.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »
I've had some Veterinary expenses come up lately that do have me setting a budget. I sold some Funko Pops, cashed in my piggy bank for the year and also redeemed my credit card's cash rewards for the year. I'm making the total amount of those 3 things my budget. Will let everyone know how that goes after Con.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Best wishes with the pet stuff!

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 06:25:59 PM »
I loved the art sale at the Hyatt last year. There's something for everyone there. Already spent about $1500 on pre-orders. Budget is 5K for whatever I can find. Portal exclusives are not so great with your chances this year. Everyone always blows their budget at this show. Don't take all the credit cards, that can be dangerous.