Author Topic: What gifts do you want for the holidays?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
What gifts do you want for the holidays?
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
The holidays are here and that means gifts! What do you want for Christmas (or other winter holiday) ?

In my home, we want:

SNES mini
Doctor Who plushies
HTC Vive games
Batman vs. Two-Face BluRay

What's on your wishlist?

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Re: What gifts do you want for the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
I'm hoping for an Amazon Echo, season 7 of Game of Thrones, the Barnes & Noble exclusive Art of Harry Potter book, and a bathrobe.

I also asked for Winds of Winter. Luckily my best friend gets the joke. If I'd asked my parents for that my mom would have spent forever trying to get it and would have apologized on Christmas - "NO WHERE had it, I looked everywhere!"

Not a gift I'm asking for, but every year my best friend and I ask for impossible things (see above). For example, after NBC cancelled Community after season 5, I asked for it to be un-cancelled (and lo and behold, it was!). This year my friend asked for the new Fantastic Beasts movie. I ended up getting one of the actually available DVDs she requested, but I made a fake cover for Crimes of Grindelwald, with pictures of him at different ages (using the Deathly Hallows portrayals as well as the Johnny Depp one), and quotes from the books. I had a lot of fun, and hope she gets a kick out of it.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:45:19 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:27:32 AM »
I love the 'impossible gifts' idea! Last year a couple of us were wishing for a Puppet Ash, like the one from season 2 of Ash vs. Evil Dead, and then they announced one! It's been very late on delivery, but i just got a shipping notice, so I should *fingers crossed* have mine before the end of this year!

BTW, if you find The Winds of Winter, I'd like it too! What I'd do if I wanted to give that to you would be to make up a cover and put in printouts of the little bits GRRM has released on his website so far...

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
Rain
Scotchmallows
Gift card to Maido stationery
More scotchmallows

Also, doesn't come out until the spring but this could work:

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
I haven't seen 'rain' on anyone's wishlist for awhile, but I guess you're sick of the dry weather, Mark? ;)  And if you're eating scotchmallows while watching it come down, I can see how pleasant that would be.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »
A replacement for my camera that was stolen in August.   :'(

I've raised $100 of my $500 goal so progress.  $50 was Christmas money so technically it's partially a Christmas gift already.  I don't get Christmas money at the age of 31 anymore really, though, so... the rest might be out of my own pocket.

The other thing I want? More tickets to see Star Wars.  I want to see it a third, fourth, fifth, and more times.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
I haven't seen 'rain' on anyone's wishlist for awhile, but I guess you're sick of the dry weather, Mark? ;)  And if you're eating scotchmallows while watching it come down, I can see how pleasant that would be.

I'll second the rain, if only so Ventura County can stop being on fire. :(

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »
A replacement for my camera that was stolen in August.   :'(

*hugs* Angel

Do you have homeowners/renters insurance? Even if you are away from home, those policies often cover theft of valuable items.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
*hugs* Angel

Do you have homeowners/renters insurance? Even if you are away from home, those policies often cover theft of valuable items.

I did not, no.  Considered going to court, but the amount of stress and time that would have taken would have killed me :(

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
I love the 'impossible gifts' idea! Last year a couple of us were wishing for a Puppet Ash, like the one from season 2 of Ash vs. Evil Dead, and then they announced one! It's been very late on delivery, but i just got a shipping notice, so I should *fingers crossed* have mine before the end of this year!

BTW, if you find The Winds of Winter, I'd like it too! What I'd do if I wanted to give that to you would be to make up a cover and put in printouts of the little bits GRRM has released on his website so far...

Wouldn't it be awesome if they, like, secretly released Winds of Winter into bookstores without telling anyone? I realize that would be ridiculous from a sales standpoint, but just imagine browsing a book shop and coming across it and being like "Is this...?! Is it really...? When?!"

Fingers crossed for Christmas 2021, maybe.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »
Wouldn't it be awesome if they, like, secretly released Winds of Winter into bookstores without telling anyone? I realize that would be ridiculous from a sales standpoint, but just imagine browsing a book shop and coming across it and being like "Is this...?! Is it really...? When?!"

Fingers crossed for Christmas 2021, maybe.

I want them to announce yet another Wild Cards anthology, make a big deal about it and then have it actually be Winds of Winter.

We got a little bit of rain last night, but still leaving it on my list.

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
I would like one of those electric unicycles.  It's currently on backorder now so that'll make me really think if I want to get it or not (i.e. cooling period).  I'm trying to justify buying it by saying i'll catch the bus to work more often and not have to find a place to park my car and pay toll and gas.

Also a Samsung 360 camera. I saw all the reviews on Youtube and with the price drop it's more realistic now.
Twitter feed: @mel641

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
The most interesting gift I got was in my stocking. I can handle most things that tend to rattle people. Clowns? no problem,  snakes and spiders? hey little buddy! But I cannot handle porcelain dolls. At all. And in my stocking was a small old-fashioned porcelain doll with a creepy expression, missing a leg. I'm just giving it a look and my wife is laughing, then she tells me that she was out with her friend, they found it in a bush outside a brewery and decided it would be a good gift for me. Sets an interesting precedent for next year  >:D

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »
the most fun item i got was a small cocktail making set- and a bottle of gray goose vodka ;) wow very tasty concoctions have been/are going to be made.

I got a copy fo metropolis- I've been wanting that movie for years- and a 4k copy of Logan- I need a 4k to test out the new 4k tv ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
My best gift was an homage to my new-ish found love of K-Pop (instigated by a K-Pop panel at Dragon Con in 2016). DH ordered a light stick for one of my favorite bands. You take these to the concerts (I imagine that they sell them there too) and wave them around while the group is on stage. This one even has Bluetooth connectivity. When connected to bluetooth, you can get different light colors (I couldn't get it to pair with my phone, but it did flash a different color when trying). DH really gets me!

Here's the video I posted on IG. The band in question is Monsta X

Ang