Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Shuttle Info  (Read 13262 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: SDCC 2019 Shuttle Info
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So I came in here to visit cause I heard someone cough [member=4434]Angel_[/member] had good drinks.....actually. I came here to also say that the lack of 24 hour shuttles may hurt us in the hotel lottery. I wonder by how much, but I remember back in the day where I'd settle for Shelter Island and so forth, knowing the shuttle was 24 hours. Prior to that, I always just drove in since parking was easy to buy......I guess things are getting harder and harder. Parking, shuttles, hotels, badges. Anything else?!

I'm proud of my reputation  ;D

But anyway, yikes yeah I hadn't thought of that.  When I'm partying in the gaslamp I'll either walk or take a Lyft, which is usually $5-10 downtown.  But taking it all the way to Mission Valley or something?  Big Yikes.  Can't be fun.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 12:45:29 PM »
...and they raised the per night shuttle/convention fee to $10 per night (from $8 last year)   :(
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:10:16 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »
...and they raised the per night shuttle/convention fee to $10 per night (from $8 last year)   :(

Forgive me, I should know this already considering how detailed I get about this stuff, but this is added afterwards like tax, so it's NOT reflected in the prices listed on the sheet, right?  I'm pretty sure it is but ugh my brain is mush at the moment.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 12:55:23 PM »
I agree with you [member=4284]Jonathan[/member]! :( I'm sure more people will be vying for a DT hotel now that the shuttle doesn't run 24. I wonder why they changed that?!

I think some was discussed earlier here. I can't tell if the company providing the shuttles is new or not. But I did notice something about planting trees because of the gasses released into the air from the shuttles. It's probably not worth it to them to go through all that trouble and pay for employees when not everyone is riding the shuttles at 1-5am. But those are just conjectures. I know I personally have ridden it multiple times in those hours LOL

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Forgive me, I should know this already considering how detailed I get about this stuff, but this is added afterwards like tax, so it's NOT reflected in the prices listed on the sheet, right?  I'm pretty sure it is but ugh my brain is mush at the moment.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it IS included in the price sheet (unlike tax, parking, and resort fees). Mostly because I think OnPeak collects it and passes it on. I've never seen it as a line item on my hotel folio at checkout.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 01:36:05 PM »

I just checked my bill from last summer.  It is NOT listed on there.  So it is included in the price sheet.  Agree with [member=1291]semigeekgirl[/member] .

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
That makes sense that all of the hotels went up in price (anywhere from a few dollars to thirty dollars) per night.

Offline Johnc86

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
Can someone tell me which scooter companies are operating downtown? I think I may use them this year. Depending on which hotel I get, the shuttle might take forever so I'd like to have another option besides walking.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 12:29:42 AM »
The question is what ones aren't. I've seen Lime, Bird, there are even Uber and Lyft branded ones now....the new hot thing are the scooters with seats. They are just every freaking where and it has gotten annoying.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 12:33:28 AM »
Can someone tell me which scooter companies are operating downtown? I think I may use them this year. Depending on which hotel I get, the shuttle might take forever so I'd like to have another option besides walking.

There have been scooter changes since last year.  It's more orderly now.  Last year scooters where randomly left everywhere.  Around where I live they were scattered about including in the middle of the street.  I haven't seen a scooter in the street in months and overall don't see as many scooters around period.  The ones I see are neatly parked in specific areas.  I don't think that's the law yet but it's on it's way.  The helmet requirement was removed but that may be reinstated since there have been a lot of accidents including at least one fatality.  Which has also led to a proposal to limit the speed of the scooters.  People going 15MPH on the sidewalk is dangerous.  People shouldn't be riding on the sidewalk at all but many people do.  The police are cracking down.  Scooter citations have gone from about 3 a year up to 2017 to 1500 in 2018.  Downtown is one area where they focus on citing people.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 03:38:31 AM »
There have been scooter changes since last year.  It's more orderly now.  Last year scooters where randomly left everywhere.  Around where I live they were scattered about including in the middle of the street.  I haven't seen a scooter in the street in months and overall don't see as many scooters around period.  The ones I see are neatly parked in specific areas.  I don't think that's the law yet but it's on it's way.  The helmet requirement was removed but that may be reinstated since there have been a lot of accidents including at least one fatality.  Which has also led to a proposal to limit the speed of the scooters.  People going 15MPH on the sidewalk is dangerous.  People shouldn't be riding on the sidewalk at all but many people do.  The police are cracking down.  Scooter citations have gone from about 3 a year up to 2017 to 1500 in 2018.  Downtown is one area where they focus on citing people.

Glad to hear there have been changes toward making scooter use safer.  Last year,  I saw several dangerous users flying by on the crowded sidewalks of the convention center with not a care in the world. I understand the convenience, though...and they do look like fun.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 06:03:39 AM »

Did a quick comparison of 2019 and 2018 shuttles (2018 here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) In addition to the removal of the nite owl service, (plus the late night Orange route,) they've also removed some stops for hotels that are still part of the sale but are close to the convention.

The Pink route now starts at the Intercontinental, no more Embassy Suites stop. And the Blue route loses the Westin Gaslamp and MGH stops, with the route now starting at the Courtyard Marriott and the Sofia now sharing the Westgate stop.

Thanks for that comparison. This will be good to remember when the hotel lottery results are coming in!

hey, wanna turn this into an article for the blog? whatda think [member=1060]DRWHO42[/member] [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] ?

I think some was discussed earlier here. I can't tell if the company providing the shuttles is new or not. But I did notice something about planting trees because of the gasses released into the air from the shuttles. It's probably not worth it to them to go through all that trouble and pay for employees when not everyone is riding the shuttles at 1-5am. But those are just conjectures. I know I personally have ridden it multiple times in those hours LOL
how crowed were the shuttles during the overnight hours?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 12:03:05 PM »
It is a little sad that the shuttles are not 24hrs now. It was part of the vibe but maybe a sign of the "peak".
Also, I wonder why the embassy is no longer a stop but the logistics of it were always a little horrid. When we have stayed there in the past, we would walk to the convention center but shuttle it back as we were tired and carrying a days purchases.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »
I always assumed it was coffee in your profile pic, but now .... (says the guy with a mint julep as his profile pic.)

Did a quick comparison of 2019 and 2018 shuttles (2018 here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) In addition to the removal of the nite owl service, (plus the late night Orange route,) they've also removed some stops for hotels that are still part of the sale but are close to the convention.

The Pink route now starts at the Intercontinental, no more Embassy Suites stop. And the Blue route loses the Westin Gaslamp and MGH stops, with the route now starting at the Courtyard Marriott and the Sofia now sharing the Westgate stop.

That’s good data. I had thought, looking at it initially, that there seemed to be a lot fewer stops this year. Combined with the jump in hotel prices, it’s a bummer.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »

Do people take classes on how to ride those things? They seem so convenient, but I’ve been afraid to just jump on one and try to scooter off because Death?