Author Topic: WonderCon 2018: March 23-25  (Read 28430 times)

Offline Surfworld

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
Re: WonderCon 2018: March 23-25
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
Was there any indication of how wristbands would work at SDCC? Curious for HALL H

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Was there any indication of how wristbands would work at SDCC? Curious for HALL H

Your basically spamming the forum with the same question. Please try to make a new thread regarding your question if there is not already a recent discussion on the topic. Posting in threads from years ago or in threads unrelated to your topic (aka posting about sdcc in a WonderCon thread) is inefficient and likely against the forums code of conduct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 07:59:09 AM »

Offline lolaswill

• Exhibit Hall
  • =) Feel free to PM me
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2018, 02:22:27 PM »
Wonder Con was good but it seamed to me like it's shrinking. No real new companies or vendors and several that usually were there were absent. A world premiere of a movie that is going to be released on dvd next week isn't much of a draw. The crowd looked small compared to last year, not that I'm complaining, but that's not good for the con. I was shocked that the "Fear the Walking Dead" panel  had many empty seats in the arena. Sunday was a ghost town. I don't know if I'm going to do the full 3 days next year. I think one whole day maybe all you need.

This was my first year attending WonderCon, what big vendors are usually there that did not come?

I'm trying hard not to compare it to SDCC, but I agree, maybe not a full 3 days next year? Maybe someone who has gone in previous years can expand, but I did feel like there wasn't much to do. All the things I did do were great, but lots of down time. I am not complaining about the empty seats/floor, that was amazing to walk around and sit without thousands of people pushing you around.

In size, I walked the entire exhibit floor twice on Friday <2 hours, and once on sunday <1 hour. I really liked the exhibit floor offerings.

Friday I parked across the street and walked straight into North Hall 200A for Expanse, left halfway, came back for Reverie with a tiny line of about 30 in front of me. Stayed for Cloak and Dagger - all great panels.

Saturday was the worst because of parking. I thought I was going to be late for Ready Player One panel at the area. I drove around for 45+ mins in traffic to find parking, got pushed out to the Honda center with the left turn lane backed up at least 4 blocks. Pulled a U and just parked at the mall. The panel was scheduled to start at 12:25, I got into line at 12:15 thinking there was no way we would get in, and at least 2 sections of snake lines in front of me. But luckily I did, they don't feed people into the Arena, I feel like they wait for the rooms to clear before letting people in (not forced clear, just waiting for people who want to leave). This was the same for North Hall 200A. Anyway, the Arena was great, and I still saw empty seats at the edges. Granted you can't get a good look from the sides, but at least you see the stage. Arena is the way to go vs no view from the mid-back of hall H. I actually dislike Hall H compared to the Arena. Why not have round stadium seating of various tiers/balconies, there was only 1 screen above the stage and that was adequate. Hall H is not intimate at all, all seats are level with each other, and you get neck fatigue looking at the 9 screens. Stayed in the Arena for Lost in Space and Agents of Shield, both awesome! Loved the food trucks, at least some better tasting options of high priced food that I can leave and come back in under 10 mins.

I got nothing in the exclusives lotto, but I liked that at least I knew and didn't have to wait around. All in all - only spent about 3-6 hours each day. Unlike SDCC, I got lots of sleep during WonderCon. I really liked that there were multiple entrances and exits from all sides of each buildings, even to the back where parking is.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
This was my first year attending WonderCon, what big vendors are usually there that did not come?

Slowly over the years the floor has turned into more of a nerdy swap meet instead of having company booths come. Marvel, dark horse, capcom, nerdist/geek and sundry, fox, kotobukiya, nintendo and etc. have booths. Obviously it's not at the scale of SDCC but there was a little more substance than people reselling items.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
Slowly over the years the floor has turned into more of a nerdy swap meet instead of having company booths come. Marvel, dark horse, capcom, nerdist/geek and sundry, fox, kotobukiya, nintendo and etc. have booths. Obviously it's not at the scale of SDCC but there was a little more substance than people reselling items.

I was really bummed about no Kotobukiya this year. I got amazing deals at their booth there last year. They still had their big panel though where they go over what's coming up. I wonder why they didn't do a booth.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

Not sure about the others but Marvel hasn't had a booth at WC for many years
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
Thats why I mentioned it was slowly over the years. Marvel was the first to pull out and other companies slowly followed.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »

"Slowly over the years the floor has turned into more of a nerdy swap meet instead of having company booths come. Marvel, dark horse, capcom, nerdist/geek and sundry, fox, kotobukiya, nintendo and etc. have booths. Obviously it's not at the scale of SDCC but there was a little more substance than people reselling items." I think you mean they had booths but not now. Kotobukiya was the big name that was there last year but m.i.a. this year. I don't think Capcom showed either. Two Morrows passed and no Bill Stout. I don't need all the studios there but Dark Horse, Marvel and the other Comic publishers should make an effort.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »

Superheroes, villains, rogues and scoundrels, rulers of all ages! The #WCA2018 Masquerade Winners' Gallery is now up on our website! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
I don't need all the studios there but Dark Horse, Marvel and the other Comic publishers should make an effort.

I know what you mean. I was at WonderCon, and I was thinking about how ECCC had more comics publishers exhibiting than WonderCon. Dark Horse, Boom, IDW, Image... all had a big presence at ECCC. Image and IDW had small booths in comparison at WOnderCon, but there was no Dark Horse. Of course, there was DC.

Offline knight101

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
Just wanted to share my pics and thoughts on Wondercon.  I know it's a wee bit late but life (computer/server problems) will do that to you.