Author Topic: Academy Awards  (Read 1645 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Academy Awards
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
Super stoked that Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture!!  And Bohemian Rhapsody too, though it really isn't deserved IMHO.  Looking forward to having the nominated films back in theatres so I can get all caught up :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Academy Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
While it is still confounding to me that an industry based in L.A. CA announces their highest award nomination before 6am local time, this morning is always an exciting one for film fans.  I don't think there were too many surprises, but a few thoughts.  I'm keeping this positive and not complaining about what was nominated (coughGreenRoomcough) or what didn't (no Ethan Hawke?!).

* INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE will hopefully win Oscar gold.  If The Academy remembers it's Best Animation Feature and not "Best Disney Feature," it should easily win.  When I first saw the film I thought, "this should def. be nominated" but after a second viewing and other integral awards its won (like the PGA award - forget The Globes, the Guild awards are the true legit indicators of what will win) I feel like anything short of a win will be a massive disappointment

* BLACK PANTHER makes history!  Not only is this MCU's first Best Picture nomination, it's the first time ANY comic film has been nominated for Best Pic.  There's no way it'll win, but if The Academy members are taking comic movies seriously, it's a good step for future brilliant comic films.  Black Panther was nominated for 7 Oscars (though Best Pic is the only "big" nomination - no director, editing, or acting nominations) and hopefully it takes home something.  I think it's easily my favorite score of the nominations, but it might be a little TOO contemporary for Academy voters (i.e. the median age/demo being old and white).

* BLACKKKLANSMAN nominated for a slew of Oscars is exciting.  I really loved this movie, and I thought Adam Driver should've been nominated when I saw this in the fall.  I thought he'd be squeezed out by other competition, but yea for him!  Also, awesome to finally see Spike Lee get his first Best Director nod.  He _REALLY_  pissed off the Academy in the late 80's (as was his right: DO THE RIGHT THING not even being nominated with the horrible white-washing DRIVING MISS DAISY won = shameful and embarrassing for Academy) and I thought he would most be banned for life w/out a Director nod.  Props for The Academy for recognizing a great film and especially one of the best directors of his generation.

* ISLE OF DOGS nominated for Best Animated!  Really hyped this got a nod, even if 1) I hope it loses and 2) I thought FANTASTIC MR. FOX was a better stop-motion feature from Wes Anderson.  I think this film is on Netflix or HBO or something right now, and if you missed it you should check out a fun, heart-warming story about a dog's love for its master (sort of).

* Streaming films break though.  Roma is Netflix's first Best Picture nomination, tied for most nominations.  Sure, it had the required week-long theatrical run to be considered for Oscars, but it is seen as mainly a streaming film.  Nominated for BOTH Best Pic. and Best Foreign Language (which its a shoe-in to win) might mean voters will give it Foreign Language Oscar and give Best Pic. to something else.  But this, IMO, is a great for the industry.  I can write an entire essay on why this film was a Netflix film from a critical darling, but know this is HUGE that The Academy that's mainly traditional (read again: old white guys) threw the most noms to a Netflix film.  Spielberg be damned, streaming is important to the industry, and a way for great talent to get smaller, non-mainstream films made.  We might be in the same boat next year when Scorcese releases his Irish mobster epic this year, and it took a critical darling/genius director in Cuaron to break that barrier and I think we're all better off for it.  We also have FIRST REFORMED (Amazon Prime) & BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS (Netflix) with various nominations.  And speaking of FIRST REFORMED...

* yea Paul Schrader!!  It's hard for me to fathom that the guy who wrote RAGING BULL, TAXI DRIVER, LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, MOSQUITO COAST, etc. hadn't been nominated for an Oscar until today, but he can FINALLY add that to his awesome resume.

That's it for now; you can stream 10 Oscar-nominated films right now (some for rental, some as part of streaming service) - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:49:28 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:03:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Super stoked that Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture!!  And Bohemian Rhapsody too, though it really isn't deserved IMHO.  Looking forward to having the nominated films back in theatres so I can get all caught up :)

Ha; you beat my post by about 7 minutes  :P
I just deleted mine and tagged onto yours anyway

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:34:28 AM »
Ha; you beat my post by about 7 minutes  :P
I just deleted mine and tagged onto yours anyway

Sorry!  I came here to read what you and others had to say but saw no posts and wanted to get you moving!! ;D

I agree with all that you said :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
Sorry!  I came here to read what you and others had to say but saw no posts and wanted to get you moving!! ;D

I agree with all that you said :)
Awesome!  I was surprised no one else had started conversation yet when I started writing: should've known my often too verbose writing would mean someone else would beat me to the punch :-P

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »
I haven't seen any of the nominated Foreign Language Films so I can't doubt their inclusion, but I was really hoping Burning would get a nod.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 05:27:12 AM »
I haven't seen any of the nominated Foreign Language Films so I can't doubt their inclusion, but I was really hoping Burning would get a nod.
Roma will win it. However, Capernaum and Cold War are both excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »
Thinking about this a little bit, I thought of ONE seemingly egregious nomination 'snub.'  No, not specific actors, movies, or directors (though lack of women nominated for director (0/5) and screenplay (only 1/12+) seems lame on its face a little bit):
I'm talking Best Makeup & Hair Styling.

One artist did amazing work in TWO films this year.  Mark Coulier both:
* transformed John C. Reilly & Steven Coogan impeccably into Laurel & Hardy (a fairly mediocre film w/good acting & incredible makeup/prosthetic effects)
* transformed Tilda Swinton into an old man (and other fun nasty treats) in SUSPIRIA.

I guess I can buy that maybe the two incredible works canceled each other out in voting, but still a bummer.  Not that The Academy doesn't have a history of not nominating great work (they tend to loathe when CGI is blended with makeup & prosthetics - such as why SHAPE OF WATER likely wasn't nominated for this category last year, as an example), but I don't think there was a more prolific makeup artist than Mark Coulier last year and it's a bummer he didn't get even one nomination for one of the two incredible films he worked on.  STAN & OLLIE would be dog poo if Coulier's makeup wasn't off-the-hook convincing

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »
Almost 10 years after I left @EW as an editor—they asked if I had anything else to say about @MarvelStudios' #BlackPanther on the eve of what might be an historic Oscar nomination. I did. Thanks, @timleong and @katiehasty for making it a painless homecoming.

entertainmentweekly From Wakanda to Hollywood. Click the link in our bio to see how #BlackPanther nabbed 7 Oscar nominations — and made award show history. You can pick up an issue on newsstands starting 1/25. Story by @marcbernardin. Black Panther helmet: Justin @fantl for EW; Chadwick Boseman: Kwaku Alston/© Marvel Studios; Bow tie by @TomFord

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 11:08:32 AM »
I'm curious to see how Roma being nominated for best Foreign-Language.  Will Academy members vote for it for both?  Or will they choose it for Foreign and open Best Picture for other films?  If it was nominated for just Best Picture I'd expect it to win, so this changes it up a bit.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
I'm curious to see how Roma being nominated for best Foreign-Language.  Will Academy members vote for it for both?  Or will they choose it for Foreign and open Best Picture for other films?  If it was nominated for just Best Picture I'd expect it to win, so this changes it up a bit.
FWIW Roma is (IIRC) the fourth film to be nominated for both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film.  The other three (AMOR, CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON, and LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL) ALL won for Best Foreign Language.  It's kind of a way for The Academy to award TWO Best Films, I think

*** EDIT ***
1) my spelling kinda sucks
2) I totally forgot about Z, the first film (in 1969) to be nominated for both Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film.  It also only won Foreign Language.  So Roma is the FIFTH duel-nominated film, with the previous 4 all winning Foreign Language and losing Best Film.  FWIW I think ROMA is BY FAR a much better film (that has a director with significantly more clout & respect than the other four films at their time - Ang Lee's film might've won Best Picture if he released that a decade or two later when his oeuvre was much more solidified in mainstream greatness; had he released CROUCHING TIGER after, say, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, I think he might've also won Best Picture).

I Personally think there's a decent chance ROMA will win both film awards but I dunno if I'd bet on that in the office/family Oscar Pool
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:36:48 PM by perc2100 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »

LOVE that cover!!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »
FWIW Roma is (IIRC) the fourth film to be nominated for both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film.  The other three (AMOR, CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON, and LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL) ALL won for Best Foreign Language.  It's kind of a way for The Academy to award TWO Best Films, I think

*** EDIT ***
1) my spelling kinda sucks
2) I totally forgot about Z, the first film (in 1969) to be nominated for both Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film.  It also only won Foreign Language.  So Roma is the FIFTH duel-nominated film, with the previous 4 all winning Foreign Language and losing Best Film.  FWIW I think ROMA is BY FAR a much better film (that has a director with significantly more clout & respect than the other four films at their time - Ang Lee's film might've won Best Picture if he released that a decade or two later when his oeuvre was much more solidified in mainstream greatness; had he released CROUCHING TIGER after, say, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, I think he might've also won Best Picture).

I Personally think there's a decent chance ROMA will win both film awards but I dunno if I'd bet on that in the office/family Oscar Pool

Thanks for the historical info!  It does sounds like Roma is destined for a Best Foreign-Language win, in which case ASIB can win Best Picture since Bradley Cooper didn't get a Best Director nom.  Glad we've worked in all out.  :P

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
marvel Academy Award Best Picture Nominee Marvel Studios' #BlackPanther returns to the big screen beginning February 1st. Fans of all ages can see the movie for free in honor of Black History Month at participating @AMCTheatres. Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for more info.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »
sdcomicfest Congratulations to Spider-Man:Into The Spider-Verse for winning Best Animated Feature. We knew you could do it.