Author Topic: Captain Marvel ***Spoilers***  (Read 3278 times)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: Captain Marvel ***Spoilers***
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw it this morning and really enjoyed it! It really pumped me up. It's not my favorite Marvel film but it was a lot of fun.

That was great! Not only did she not have a love interest, she didn't have an old boyfriend that she left behind, either.

All I can say is finally!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »
I want to know if there's a Stan cameo!

When the beginning came up with all of Stan's cameos and the title "Thank You, Stan" , the whole audience in my movie theater started clapping.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:11:49 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »
When the beginning came up with all of Stan's cameos and the title "Thank You, Stan" , the whole audience in my movie theater started clapping.

Awesome!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:43 PM »
Same, I was yelling myself at that opening...it was fantastic.

Did anyone catch how the music was from pretty much all female bands?  Except for R.E.M.  I was trying to catch all the songs and I think pretty much 95% were female bands, which I thought was awesome.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
Same, I was yelling myself at that opening...it was fantastic.

Did anyone catch how the music was from pretty much all female bands?  Except for R.E.M.  I was trying to catch all the songs and I think pretty much 95% were female bands, which I thought was awesome.

Our audience clapped also.

I plan to see it again, I will pay attention to the music.  I was just enjoying the music.  GOTG has the best soundtrack, but this one was fun.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
Don’t forget, we got a Nirvana song as well.   

Some random thoughts...

Young Carol had little to no lines but I thought  her facial expressions did an amazing job at conveying the struggles she went though at an early age.   And then especially during the getting back up off the ground montage. 

Carol never officially adopted the Captain Marvel title and so presumably everyone will just call her Carol in Endgame and beyond.  On a similar note, I’m not sure if Wanda has ever been called Scarlet Witch in the MCU. 

When Carol volunteers to lead the Skrull expedition for a new world, she is putting the needs of others first just like the Kree have taught her.  From the proverbial certain point of view, Supreme Intelligence was right about “we made you who you are”.   

They borrowed heavily, heavily from Kelly Sue’s run on the Cap Marvel comic but as others have alluded to, there is no love interest be it current or former that figures into Carol’s story.   In the comics she has an on/off again with Rhodey/War Machine so it’s relieving to see they didn’t go that route.   And if we go into earlier versions of the Carol Danvers story, Mar-vell was a Kree male with the earth alias of Dr. Walter Lawson and his death at the hands of Yon-rogg serves as the catalyst for her becoming Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel.   I’m sure a lot of traditionalists do not approve of that change but IMO, we’ve had tons of stories like that already.   

My theater clapped heavily at two junctures - The opening tribute to Stan and then the post credits when Carol shows up (guess she made a tremendous impression on them?). 

I recognized a lot of the Los Angeles filming locations.   That subway station we see after the fight and pursuit of Granny Skrull is the 7th Street Metro center station which I’ve been though hundreds of times. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:45:11 PM by brand4d2 »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
I did see Kelly Sue DeConnick's name called out in the credits.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »
I did see Kelly Sue DeConnick's name called out in the credits.

I saw her cameo!!!   When Carol is wandering though the train station, among the people giving her strange looks is Kelly Sue.   

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 09:30:57 PM »
I saw her cameo!!!   When Carol is wandering though the train station, among the people giving her strange looks is Kelly Sue.
I so missed that!  Usually my first viewing of the movie is to watch just that and to take it all in.  Further viewings are for alllllll of the easter eggs hidden.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
I so missed that!  Usually my first viewing of the movie is to watch just that and to take it all in.  Further viewings are for alllllll of the easter eggs hidden.

Same I also love coming here before I see it again, helps me spot even more when I go back to see it.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Same I also love coming here before I see it again, helps me spot even more when I go back to see it.
True dat!

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:46 PM »

I recognized a lot of the Los Angeles filming locations.   That subway station we see after the fight and pursuit of Granny Skrull is the 7th Street Metro center station which I’ve been though hundreds of times.

Also, when she exits the subway station, it's actually at the Civic Center station, not 7th Street Metro. When she arrived at 7th Street Metro, she would've had to go downstairs, hop on the Red Line, and go 2 stops before exiting.

Additionally, the train station she initially gets on at is Douglas station, which is on the Green Line, which runs West-East, and does not go downtown. The Blue Line is the one that runs North-South and goes downtown. When Fury calls it in, he says it is a Northbound train. She would have had to transfer from the Green Line to the Blue Line at some point in order to get downtown!

Just a little bit of LA trivia for you  ;)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 05:16:49 PM »
Stan...

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
Also, when she exits the subway station, it's actually at the Civic Center station, not 7th Street Metro. When she arrived at 7th Street Metro, she would've had to go downstairs, hop on the Red Line, and go 2 stops before exiting.

Additionally, the train station she initially gets on at is Douglas station, which is on the Green Line, which runs West-East, and does not go downtown. The Blue Line is the one that runs North-South and goes downtown. When Fury calls it in, he says it is a Northbound train. She would have had to transfer from the Green Line to the Blue Line at some point in order to get downtown!

Just a little bit of LA trivia for you  ;)

I got thrown for a loop when she exited but then I recognized it as Civic Center station.   Maybe because it makes for better visuals than the 7th/Fig and 7th/Hope exits?

I believe Fury crashes the car/takes down the Skrull in front of the Mosk Courthouse but am not 100% sure on that. 

I saw that Entertainment Earth is selling Fonzie lunch boxes like the one Mar-vell owned.   I’d totally buy it if it came with a Tessaract...hmmm...maybe maybe that ends up as one of their SDCC exclusives this year???  Just  some wishful thinking.   

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:47 AM »
Some of my thoughts on the film: I've seen it twice now and enjoyed the film MUCH more the second time (the first time I felt slightly underwhelmed, but I'll get to that in a sec.  Or really, a few minutes probably).  I don't know the books too well, so I don't care about "but it's different from the books and that bugged me" arguments.  I do know I prefer the name 'Chewie' to 'Goose,' but I get that change and it's apt.

First of all, the casting director KILLED!  For me it's been rare that I feel like a new Marvel franchise is launched with great casting top-to-bottom, but CAPTAIN MARVEL is definitely one of em!  Every casting choice for even moderately important roles was right on the money!  Obviously the leads are great, but the little girl, Carol's BFF pilot, the Skrull characters, the Kree: all really well cast!

I personally wasn't that into the story or the flow the first time I saw the film.  It felt confusing at times, and it felt like Marvel had a TON of story and exposition to cram into a 120 minute film: all while purposely straying from the standard 'origin story' type of script.  At first I was kind of annoyed that I felt "wait which time line is this?  Are these different timelines, realities, same timeline different years, etc?" one-too-many times.  It wasn't until revisiting that I was able to really appreciate how well the seemingly non-linear storyline plays out (the film is totally linear but with lots of flashbacks).  It feels like a back-door origin story and I dig that different approach, though the first time I felt confused too often (which admittedly for me that could literally mean twice).  I think Carol's story/history is incredibly complicated and NEEDED to be handled a certain way to keep the story and action flowing and not getting bogged down in a super long exposition dump from time-to-time.  I had no clue how Marvel Studios would handle the character (is she half Kree/half human? Was she genetically altered in some way by the Kree?) but obviously with this particular story (Carol is a human who has some sort of physiological and biological reaction to that core whatever exploding and seeping into her body) it's more complicated.  I think they handled it well, but I can see if others didn't think the flow worked.  It's almost like CAPTAIN MARVEL kind of went about that origin similar to BOURNE IDENTITY, mostly keeping the story propelling in the current 1995 time with flashbacks exploring the crash and Carol's past an a regular earthling.

I dug when the movie shifted gears in act 2 to almost a 'buddy road-trip pseudo-comedy' feel between Carol and Nick (er...Fury: I SWEAR I'm not a Skrull!).  They worked well together, and it was interesting seeing Fury act like an actual human being instead of the brooding, mysterious head of SHIELD we've known Fury up to this point.  Side note, I like how now it appears Coulson was 100% trolling/messing w/Pepper Potts regarding the name of the organization Coulson is affiliated with  :D  The de-aging tech. for Samuel L. Jackson was incredible. The trailers (often cut with non-finished effects shots - typically close-to-finished but still slightly rough) had me slightly worried that it would be distracting watching that tech at play for most of 2 hours but it never bothered me.

Coulson, on the other hand, looked like it came out of the uncanny valley.  It never quite looked right for some reason to me: it didn't bother me the second time as much, but the first time it always took me out of the moment.  Good call not having him as a major factor in a lot of the movie, Marvel!

And lets talk about some of the many themes tackled in this film.  The obvious is the feminist angle, which IMO is handled expertly.  The film never felt overly feminist, not like a "beat you over the head with the theme" type of thing, more on the side of slightly subtle.  One interesting thing is act 3 story beats most interesting were those not involving the title character.  I was REALLY into the Kree Skrull war aspect, and how Marvel way flipped the script to make the Skrulls refugees of an oppressive dictatorship, mirror conflicts in the middle east or South America.

I think the editing seemed a bit jumbled at times: this 'felt' like a film that was changed constantly in editing (shifting scenes around, reshooting some scenes and axing others, etc).  For example, it's never explicitly stated WHY the McGuffin (in this case the FTL drive/core) is essential to any of the plot.  Fury has a line about warp-gates and what not in play, but there is a bit of comic nerdiness + mental gymnastics to really realize why the good guys and bad guys are gunning for this thing (because the FTL drive will allow a ship to go anywhere in the galaxy faster than just a warp gate that presumably would only allow you to go specific destinations, kind of like galactic freeway systems or something).

Also, it seems like the handled the Mar-Vell thing odd.  I don't know if it's super clear Annette Bening's character is Mar-Vell, and her Supreme Intelligence 'persona' was a 100% totally different 'character.'  I actually answered that question to a theater goer near me in between mid-credits & end credits scenes.  It seems like the Skrulls had zero character (let alone character arc).  They were all cannon fodder, even Jude Law.  When the big twist hits and we learn the Kree are the bad guys, we don't care because the audience was never connected to them whatsoever. 
And that brings up another odd bit of editing: Carol bought into the 'Skrulls are the victims and Kree are bad' WAY too easily.  The film did a kind of half-hearted take where Carol believed them going with her 'gut' instinct, but I don't think she 'earned' that character moment as it wasn't really built up.

Essentially CAPTAIN MARVEL felt more constructed than anything organically happening in the movie universe.  Like they knew broad character beats and then kind of reverse-engineered their way backwards to make the moments go.

But the character beats: WOW that was amazing/great stuff!  Seeing Fury as a 'cat guy' was great.  Fury & Carol dishwashing scene is an MCU all-timer scene.  Carol  & Maria's tight friendship was beautiful.  Ben Mendelsohn was AMAZING as Talos; without his great acting chops (behind all that makeup and prosthetics, no less) that twist/reveal would not have worked at all.  This film excelled with the character beats, which for me makes this a good, solid movie.  It's flawed, and feels more on pace with a Phase 1 origin story: maybe similar to INCREDIBLE HULK or a slightly lesser IRON MAN (but far superior to THOR).  Just like the phase 1 films that did heavy lifting setting up the character and then built on the origins to make great things, I suspect/hope that's what we'll see in the future for CAP MARVEL (note: it bums me out we now have to have distinction and can't just short-hand CAP - maybe after ENDGAME if Steve goes away forever).