Author Topic: Panel Speculation for 2019  (Read 32820 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Panel Speculation for 2019
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
D23 doesn't seem to impact it.  They still had a panel the last time D23 was the same year.
BUT, FWIW, D23 last time was BEFORE Comic-Con.  This year, D23 Expo is a full month AFTER Comic-Con, so it's plausible Disney won't want to show their hand, so to speak, at Comic-Con and risk not bringing in crowds/not delivering to their crowds at D23.  IMO it's 50/50 at best Marvel will be there. 
I'm hoping I'm wrong, and FWIW I was also wrong the last D23 year (where they actually had The Avengers actors in the house for D23 and hyped the INFINITY WAR with footage; at SDCCI they had FAR more content, zero Avengers actors, and played the INFINITY WAR teaser at the very end as a sort of Steve Jobs-esque "and one more thing...").  Also, I'm sort of a pessimist.

We should know in the next month or two.  Once CAPTAIN MARVEL press amps up there will likely be people who ask Kevin Feige if they're going to Comic-Con, and if not then certainly by the time ENDGAME press happens. 

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
BUT, FWIW, D23 last time was BEFORE Comic-Con.  This year, D23 Expo is a full month AFTER Comic-Con, so it's plausible Disney won't want to show their hand, so to speak, at Comic-Con and risk not bringing in crowds/not delivering to their crowds at D23.  IMO it's 50/50 at best Marvel will be there. 
I'm hoping I'm wrong, and FWIW I was also wrong the last D23 year (where they actually had The Avengers actors in the house for D23 and hyped the INFINITY WAR with footage; at SDCCI they had FAR more content, zero Avengers actors, and played the INFINITY WAR teaser at the very end as a sort of Steve Jobs-esque "and one more thing...").  Also, I'm sort of a pessimist.

We should know in the next month or two.  Once CAPTAIN MARVEL press amps up there will likely be people who ask Kevin Feige if they're going to Comic-Con, and if not then certainly by the time ENDGAME press happens.

It's going to be so weird after Endgame because not much has been discussed.  I mean we have a trailer for Far From Home and a few sequels listed, but compared to previous years it feels incredibly dead.

Edit: I realize it's hilarious that a trailer and several named films feels "dead" but this is MCU we're talking about lmao

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 10:45:48 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »

They have overlapped other years.  2011 they weren't at SDCC but were at NYCC., 2013 they had a panel, 2015 they had a SW panel.   So there is no real pattern to suggest that they skip because of D23.  I really do think there is more to the decision.

They still had actors at the 2017 panel.  And of course, they went bigger at D23, common sense.   But if I remember correctly no swag at D23 and we got posters at SDCC.  So it's a matter of how you look at things. 

As for me I think it's a 50/50 right now.  Just depends on what they think they have to show.  If it's enough for two shows they will do 2, if it's not then they will do one or none.  in 2017 They didn't really do much for SW at D23 because they said they didn't have enough.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »
It's going to be so weird after Endgame because not much has been discussed.  I mean we have a trailer for Far From Home and a few sequels listed, but compared to previous years it feels incredibly dead.

Edit: I realize it's hilarious that a trailer and several named films feels "dead" but this is MCU we're talking about lmao
I think Marvel Studios realized that when you announce a huge slate of films over the course of several years ("Phase 2;" "Phase 3;" etc) then huge events like INFINITY WAR have less impact.  I mean, if you KNOW there's going to be a Spider-man sequel slightly more than a year after you watch Spidey (dramatically) disappear/die, then you know Spidey is bouncing back in the sequel.  Thus, you can surmise the vast majority of 'deaths' will also be quickly fixed back to the status quo.  I think Marvel may be done, to an extent, announcing a huge slate of films like they had in the past.  They'll likely do what everyone else does going forward, which is just announce individual films when they're ready (for example, BLACK PANTHER 2 was only recently officially announced as green-lit; as was DOCTOR STRANGE 2).

One thing this summer, that will maybe be an anticipated announcement, is what is Marvel doing with Fox acquisitions?  Yesterday at a press conference X-men Producer Lauren Shuler Donner (who, FWIW, used to be Feige's boss when Feigi was working on the original X-men film for Fox) officially confirmed that DARK PHOENIX and NEW MUTANTS are the last films Fox will release in the marvel world.  ALL other films/developments are in Disney/Marvel/Feige's court (Gambit in development; X Force/Deadpool sequel; any further X-men films; etc).  I'm sure Feige is working hard trying to figure out/solidify how to integrate those characters into the MCU.  He said in a fairly recent article last fall/early winter (IIRC) that it would take 6 months-a year to figure out plans, and July/August seems like a prime time to make an announcement.

It's plausible Marvel could bring/announce whatever the "Untitled Marvel May 2020" film is to Comic-Con (Doc. Strange 2? Black Panther 2? This was the GotG vol. 3 spot IIRC so who knows at this point), maybe fill in the holes on when confirmed movies will be officially released, drop a surprise or two for Comic-Con.  Then at D23 announce how they're going to integrate Fox properties into the MCU/Disney world.  That way, Marvel can have two awesome panels at both mega-Cons.  This is, of course, my fanboy dream (though I'm not going to D23 Expo) of Disney's "have my cake and eat it to" approach, similar to what they did last D23 Expo, making a splash with The Avengers for Disney, and then focusing on other films for Comic-Con.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
Really excellent points, perc.  Agree on all fronts.  As some as the Far From Home trailer dropped everyone was crying "spoilers!!!" about Endgame, hahaha.

I saw a couple people on Twitter thinking they are secretly filming a Black Widow movie  and that they'll drop a full on sizzle reel at SDCC. But this is just one person's speculation and it feels a bit far fetched.  Would be an excellent surprise, though.  Just not sure how feasible filming a huge film with A list actors in secret actually is.

My hope is that they reveal some NEW characters at SDCC.  Completely change up the main MCU cast as we know it.  I hate saying goodbye to our current crew, but I feel like that's the right direction at this point.  And SDCC is a great place to do that.  Or heck, split it up and do some at SDCC and some at D23.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
As for me I think it's a 50/50 right now.  Just depends on what they think they have to show. If it's enough for two shows they will do 2, if it's not then they will do one or none.  in 2017 They didn't really do much for SW at D23 because they said they didn't have enough.
I think there's no way they skip D23 Expo: that's a crown jewel for Disney right now and something the crowds expect (have they ever NOT done a D23 Expo panel? honestly dunno).

You make a great point on what they have/want to show.  We are in a vast unknown w/Marvel right now.  Their mystery movie release for May 2020 (the only film on their schedule to take place before SDCCI 2020) was GotG vol. 3 which at the very least isn't in production at all right now, and may not happen period.  That means either 1) Marvel as a film they'll bump up to that date (Black Panther or Doc Strange are the only two officially announced films in development right now, both in early development) or 2) skip that date and just 'add' a film in fall 2020 instead.  There may literally not be any footage to bring, or very little concept art or what not.  Marvel might not have much/enough to bring this summer and might not show up.  Granted, their first panel felt more like an almost-realistic pipe dream: it was Feigi, Favs, Edgar Wright, and maybe someone else talking about Iron Man, Ant-Man, and marvel future (they had some pre-production art, and talked about how The Mandarin was the big bad for the first Iron Man movie).  Also, the summer before CAPTAIN AMERICA, they had been shooting for literally a few days and Marvel brought a complete edited scene (with, obviously, really rough effects and stuff).  So Marvel HAS put in the effort to blow Hall H away w/minimal 'stuff' to show off.  They could have plenty to TALK about, with little to show and I don't know if that translates to them wanting to go to Hall H at this point or not.  Marvel isn't too far off from the Star Wars brand, where SW doesn't need to market the snot out of a film (which is why we're 10+ months away from the final SW film of a trilogy and we don't even know the name yet, let alone have seen even any official still pictures on set or a teaser).

Only time will tell.  If Marvel comes I'll be there.  I've been to every single Marvel Studios panel since that original one, minus the Loki-in-costume panel.  I hope they're there, but if not Comic-Con goes on

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
That means either 1) Marvel as a film they'll bump up to that date (Black Panther or Doc Strange are the only two officially announced films in development right now, both in early development) or 2) skip that date and just 'add' a film in fall 2020 instead.  There may literally not be any footage to bring, or very little concept art or what not. 

Or mystery option 3) as told by Twitter conspiracy theorists and it's a super top secret Black Widow film  ???

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
Or mystery option 3) as told by Twitter conspiracy theorists and it's a super top secret Black Widow film  ???

I'm just going to put this out there - and I know I'm going to get booed - but I don't know how much I really care about this rumored Black Widow movie... She's just never been a very interesting MCU character. *shrugs*

P.S. I know that she's much more interesting in the comics.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
I'm just going to put this out there - and I know I'm going to get booed - but I don't know how much I really care about this rumored Black Widow movie... She's just never been a very interesting MCU character. *shrugs*

P.S. I know that she's much more interesting in the comics.

it's ok. nobody is perfect ;)

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
it's ok. nobody is perfect ;)

:) :) :)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
So all this chat made me write about the possibility of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  I don't think it's likely, but y'all inspired me so I spat out a few hundred words about it. 

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:57 PM »
Was just thinking.  The other new factor this year is the launch of Disney+.  I have to think they'll bring something to hype their new service, which does include some MCU spinoffs.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »
The Jean Luc Picard series. Why? CBS/Star Trek has been showing up the last few years and it would make sense to promote the new Star Trek series at SDCC. The show comes out later this year.

Also thinking that Star Wars could pay a visit. Even with Celebration Chicago and D23, I can still see the Episode 9 crew showing up. Remember in 2015, you had Celebration Anaheim and D23 that year, yet SDCC had a Ep. 7 panel. Disney was doing everything possible in promoting the next film after the long break since Ep. 3, as well as knowing that the prequels weren’t that popular at that time. I think Disney wants good press after what TLJ did to the fan base and Solo being a box office disappointment, even though I did enjoy both films.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:11:30 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 04:03:49 PM »
The Jean Luc Picard series. Why? CBS/Star Trek has been showing up the last few years and it would make sense to promote the new Star Trek series at SDCC.

If they have a Picard panel, that would be my one absolute must-attend panel.

Slightly off topic, have any of the Next Generation cast ever showed up to SDCC? I’m thinking they must’ve (even to promote other movies/shows), but I can’t remember ever seeing any of them in SD.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
Also thinking that Star Wars could pay a visit. Even with Celebration Chicago and D23, I can still see the Episode 9 crew showing up. Remember in 2015, you had Celebration Anaheim and D23 that year. I think Disney wants good press after what TLJ did to the fan base and Solo being a box office disappointment, even though I did enjoy both films.

I want this more than anything, but they've skipped so many years I have my doubts.  Can still dream tho