Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2018  (Read 5485 times)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Free Comic Book Day 2018
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
Hey, that is where I went this afternoon too!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exactly.  For me, the trip to my favorite local comic shop is NEVER wasted!  My local shop (So Cal Comics in San Diego) saves comics all year that don't sell and then puts them out for free in addition to the FCBD comics the publishers send.  One year I got the Death of Superman run for free (not in mint, of course).  They have independent dealers booths in the parkinglot selling art, sketches, toys, etc.  I usually make a morning of it with my boys where we get free comics, maybe pick up a toy or two, buy some books on my 'to buy' list that I'd procrastinated buying (like, this coming FCBD I can see myself picking up the Annotated Watchmen that DC put out recently that wasn't a must-by, per say, when it came out but something I want eventually).  They always have a virtual 'museum' of golden and silver age classics.  It's not uncommon to see an Action Comics #1, or Detective Comics #27.  Plus seemingly all the most meaningful 'big moment' books (first appearance of Wonder-Woman, Thanos, The Flash, TONS of #1's, etc).  A few years back I saw someone purchase the first appearance of The Flash for quite a lot of money (I watched them haggle over thousands of dollars).  The comic shop is awesome anyway, but it's always extra fun on FCBD, even knowing the free comics aren't a big deal at all.  NEVER a waste of time!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
I so tried to go to the event in colorado with family, but my bro adviced against it cause niece only 3 and nephew only few months old so had to skip since was busy chilling with family and all. maybe score some later if go to a shop and have any free sit around by chance at check out. so only missed the event 2 times now besides any past time i had no clue of it really. the shops still gotta pay for any so by chance score some later or at con this year at a modern comic booth. it just a day u score any free for a day besides any other day a store try get rid of any by cost or not lol. Had chance to see Real Player One again, so that was cool at movies  ;D

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:48:50 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »
Hey, that is where I went this afternoon too!
My wife made her first FCBD 'pilgrimage' down to Southern CA Comics and had fun with us.  I always like that place, and was hyped that they had one last copy of Action Comics 1000 on the shelf; I had been procrastinating buying it and once again procrastination paid off!!!!  :P

After SoCA Comics we went up to San Marcus to Knowhere.  I'd never been there before, or, honestly, ever heard of it before.  My son saw a tweet from Transformers writer/newly-appointed IDW Editor in Chief John Barber (also he wrote some Doctor Strange books, and some Back to the Future stuff) was signing his FCBD Unicron, as well as whatever else, from 12-2.  We got there early, first in line, and spent a bit of time chatting with Mr. Barber about the industry.  SUPER nice guy, and always fun to see comic book luminaries who live in San Diego.  Both he and Kevin Eastman live about 15 minutes or less from our place, with Jim Lee having a house on the coast.  Also some folks from L.A. drove down, including the inker of the current Kick-Ass run.  All the signings were free; I saw some sketches being made but I don't know how much they were charging for sketches.

Between the four of us we picked up around 30 comics just from SoCA Comics (they had a 7-book limit, but gave away a couple of the DC FCBD books as a 'bonus thank you' to the folks who were there in line early).  At Knowhere they had a 3 book limit, with an additional half dozen or so specific FCBD books you can also add.  My son got everything he wanted at SoCA so he didn't get anything else, while I picked up some additional books as well as some comics from some Halloween free comic thing.

FCBD is always a fun time for me and my sons; it was extra awesome to spend it with my wife for a change.  Usually I've taken the boys out of the house so she can have a morning of quiet but she wanted to partake in the fun.  She's not really a huge comic fan, but she had fun picking out books and hanging with us

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »

Interesting to see BARRIER #1 on there under Image, it's a great limited series but so far I think it's only been released digitally on the Panel Syndicate "name your price"

My FCBD "haul"I only bought a few online, didn't manage to go.  Can't wait to read Barrier.

Waiting for Kindle/Comixology versions to add to digital pull list.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:11:29 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
I know last year at con, this vendor has modern comics for 50 cent ea and saw some free comic day issues in a bag. so maybe if they there again this year i can check and see what i can score since was not able to go to it this past weekend. i know it never a promise of any, but like last time it was by chance the vendor had some in the bins with other comics at time so just gotta wait and see what can do at time.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »
This is what I picked on Saturday late in the afternoon, I wasn’t sure if any free ones would be left and it was good to see little kids grabbing up the comics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
Yea, it cool to see kids in aw of comics and they free all the better. i wish i was able to go but i went to see family and the event was a back burner kinda thing which was an option, but since any shops i saw was all so far away from where he lived that i wasnt able to go at time. i think if he was more into comics like he used to be , then maybe we may have gone for a few but times have changed and so had to skip and focus on family time while i was there for the weekend.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
Yeah seeing the kids having getting books and reading them right there in the shop made me happy, this one boy about 5 or 6 yrs old came into shop and went ooh la la which had my wife going “aw sooo cute”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
I went to a shop last year and saw some kids get some comics and the dad was only so many since the shop had signs of limit so many of any cause guess wanted enough for anyone to have 1 of ea, i was able to score 4 even if was 3 limit since owner gave copy of guardians galaxy comic and i was like score lol. so it was cool to see the kids grab some kid comics at time.

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
I am really lucky and have several great comic shops that do fun things for FCBD! We made 3 stops but only went into 2 shops due to the line! I didn't get everything I wanted but ended up with Riverdale (guilty pleasure), Power Rangers, Fresh of the Boat, Tank Girl, Barrier, Avengers, Howard Lovecraft, The Mall, Defend Comics, Shadow Man, The Over Street Guide to Collecting and Silver which I didn't realize was just the #1 I already have!

Last year before Hop-Con we stopped info a Comic Store in the same strip as Stone and they had back issue FCBD comics for $1 so I think I'm gonna try and stop in there again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
Yea, seeing how the shops still gotta like buy the supply for the event that i have learned not every shop has them all or they run out do to all traffic they get by chance at time. only comic shop i know close to con is at horton plaza unless there is another i have not read about any. i know a shop i can check for any but gotta wait closer or later since try save now for con and get what i can there for now.

Offline knight101

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 10:15:04 PM »
I went to Golden Apple Comics in L.A.  Here's my report: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And if you get a chance, read Barrier!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
Barrier #3 is out today! Though the dialog is a bit lacking ;)

The one FCBD title that really made me do a double take was the "junior" 2000 AD comic. Our local libraries still have some books left. Also, some online retailers are still llisting them at $0, you can add them as filler when you order other books.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »

Free Comic Book Day 2018, which happened on Saturday, May 5, was a successful day for most participating comic shops, as retailers enjoyed well-attended events and a profitable business day. The event saw amazing attendance with an estimated 1.5 milllion attendees, as retailers give away 5.3 million comics at 2,428 different locations. Coverage of the day, included National Public Radio (NPR), The Los Angeles Times, and The Hollywood Reporter and #Freecomicbookday was the #1 hashtag on Twitter for much of the day. In all, the annual first Saturday in May celebration generated an estimated $5.0 million in free publicity for comics and comic book shops!

The results of a recently completed FCBD 2018 Retailer Survey show increased sales and traffic for many stores and highlighted the creativity and effort retailers apply in planning and executing their events. According to the results of the survey, over 90% of retailers rated the day as "Extremely Positive" or "Positive.” Forty-two percent said that they had 500 customers or more, with 20% saying they had more than 1,000 people visit on FCBD, which is almost double the number from last year's event!

Fifty-nine percent of retailers also responded that May 5 was their best sales day of the year.

When asked to describe the ways in which they promoted their FCBD events, retailers responded with a wide variety of inventive marketing tactics such as social media campaigns, event cards, cosplayers, exclusive FCBD sales, creator signings, partnering with libraries and theaters, costume contests, and more!

Retailers put a great amount of effort into planning and promoting their FCBD events, and the successful turnout reflects their efforts, as well as fans’ excitement for the event!

With retailer and consumer feedback received, planning has already begun for Free Comic Book Day 2019, which is scheduled for Saturday, May 4.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
If chance i might be able get any at a shop before con if i go to any, or score some at con by booths freebies or a small charge for any by chance.