Author Topic: Conan Shows 2018  (Read 57861 times)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Re: Re: SDCC 2018 offsite events
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i am a pop collector and its still not worth it.  a couple years ago went for stand-by line at 4 in the morning and BARELY got in.  you walk out of the show and there are flippers holding cash in the air to buy the pops.  kind of disgusting. 

but yes.  if you live in socal may not be worth it.  and a pop will end up costing maybe 100 bucks as time goes on.  and at comic-con time is more precious than money at some point.......

Wow, to see people wait out side to already buy it from u is like a fan begging for u to sign something just cause u had chance to get in and get a free pop. just like greed i guess , flippers were not as noticed as they are now by how they stockpile anything in carts or boxes to resale for higher cost to traffic later. i dont say everyone flips stuff , i just noticed last year some had big bags of stuff so u think or assume but u dont ask incase they get all pissy all sudden like a time bomb ready to go off cause u ask if al they do is flip what they buy. to flip is not bad, it just when u see anyone take all the same stuff and leave none for anyone else to enjoy that is when u think twice about doing the same or not anytime. this seems like a rant , just how i see things and being real.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »
I’ll echo that standby for Conan = not worth it, but then again, I think anything that requires me to be up at 4 am = not worth it.

Also, last year there were reports of people who actually got selected in the lottery and being there before the designated time still not getting in.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Conan Shows 2018
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:49:19 AM »

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
I did Conan once and that's enough for me.

I don't like the way they pump up the crowd , I mean I understand why they do it. I'll take Chris Hardwick instead :D
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 09:45:54 PM »
I’ll echo that standby for Conan = not worth it, but then again, I think anything that requires me to be up at 4 am = not worth it.

Also, last year there were reports of people who actually got selected in the lottery and being there before the designated time still not getting in.

Conan has now gotten to the point where if you want a chance at standby you have to be in line the afternoon before. I was there @ 4am for wednesday and was like 200th in line.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Conan has now gotten to the point where if you want a chance at standby you have to be in line the afternoon before. I was there @ 4am for wednesday and was like 200th in line.

No way!  It's gotten to that point now?!  It's like Hall H... *face palms*
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »

Yeah apparently it was the Thursday showings where all hell broke loose. There were two tapings that day and I guess they didn't separate the line for the two shows. On top of that, I think there wasn't even a separate line for standby so you can imagine how crazy that queue must have been.

Also I don't know if I want to do Conan again this year; it's definitely a time commitment even if you have confirmed tickets. Well...that and I already have my Conan Pops so I can cross those off from my SDCC bucket list.

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:25 PM »
Yeah apparently it was the Thursday showings where all hell broke loose. There were two tapings that day and I guess they didn't separate the line for the two shows. On top of that, I think there wasn't even a separate line for standby so you can imagine how crazy that queue must have been.

Also I don't know if I want to do Conan again this year; it's definitely a time commitment even if you have confirmed tickets. Well...that and I already have my Conan Pops so I can cross those off from my SDCC bucket list.
I got in that Thursday line around 11 a.m. and, even with the standby people having been cleared out, it was indeed crazy. I'm not sure entirely why (because when I got in the line, the tail end was a bit past the shuttle stop by the Westin) but it was moving extremely slowly for most of the first 45 or so minutes I was in line. Eventually it started moving faster (I think they finally figured out a system closer to the entrance for sorting people who were there to pick up afternoon taping tickets vs. those who were there to pick up evening tickets), but, unlike the very quick, in and out experience I'd expected based on reports from previous years, pickup took us well over an hour and a half. The taping itself was fun but, given that Comic Con has never been good at putting the genie back in the bottle, I doubt I'll do one again anytime soon. I like to save my middle of the night lineups for exclusives or Hall H :).

Additionally, while staff was insisting that there was going to be no standby line for Friday or that no line was allowed to form yet (it wasn't entirely clear which), there were already at least five camping chairs set up outside the entrance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:49:54 PM by oneroomdisco »

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
I think one year the people at Funko decided to just pass out the Conan Pop at the Manchester.
It helped alleviate some of the craziness. I really still don't understand the fascination with Funkos but I guess its like collecting baseball cards or exotic cat fur balls.

Offline Totorozzz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
I think one year the people at Funko decided to just pass out the Conan Pop at the Manchester.
It helped alleviate some of the craziness. I really still don't understand the fascination with Funkos but I guess its like collecting baseball cards or exotic cat fur balls.

Yeah having it at the Manchester that year did help ease some of the craziness. My friend who attended one of the tapings last year told me that the staff was handing out the monochrome conan, but it ended up getting way out of hand. Staff was getting bombarded and someone almost knocked over a stroller or something, so the staff just went back inside.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
Agree about conan.

I think if you are a hard core funko collector or you don't have a badge for the day of the show its for you. Otherwise its just too time consuming.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
From what i read and if no solid security to handle people who try to push and shove just to get a free pop by chance can make a event go crazy in ways. i may be wrong , but guessing pops are like a hype or trwend where they gonna be a big deal for a window of time and then the want may fade overtime cause depends on where they give out for free it can cause some to ruin the fun and make it a ruff day when some bad apples cause a quiet day to pass them out to just go side ways and traffic get hurt cause traffic can get out of hand and flippers or not get stressed out just for a pop and try get any thinking they gonna run out got any reason.

so unless there is any kinda control or order to pass out anything, it can go wrong so fast cause traffic like vultures can or may push just to get anything as if they cant live without any lol. i have seen video or pic for just fox poster tubes, and it was like a mad house just to get one at time lol. i lucky i have 3 by chance and gave one to others who i saw needed one cause didnt need 3 at time so they said thanx so did a good deed for day at time. so i have seen and read that at con some do go nuts and can cause a decent time to get something turn into a rush of vultures and if u not aware u can get hurt by chance if staff around dont stop it before it get worst at time. the con can be a fun and enjoyable, but be aware as to what is going on around u but remember it just material so it not worth get hurt or worst for stuff u may not realy need at time.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
I really still don't understand the fascination with Funkos but I guess its like collecting baseball cards or exotic cat fur balls.

I used to collect shoes (Nike's and Jordans). My collection nearly hit 100 pairs. I stopped cold turkey and sold my entire collection just because of how much money and time I was putting into collecting. Once Funko pops became popular I've resisted in collecting them just because I knew how much I would be into it. So far I've done a good job in resisting, I only have 2 pops: Buzz Lightyear and Kobe Bryant.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
I collect stuff, but has to be of some value to me like special ed magazines. got variety other stuff like comics and stuff, but can take break from buying as i have done so recently to save for other events i have planned. pops look cool if u can get ones u really want alot, but wont create of wall of pops if they are just like a something u can see and maybe get box signed to add value u to it later. i have sen them for cheap but have to be ones i want alot or can save for something else i want more and not cost so much lol.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »
But those Conan pop do look enticing...either that or we are being brainwashed into wanting one. The fact they bombard you the moment you get off the plane in SD.. Those Conan advertisements is all over Lindbergh Field during Comic Con. And also wrap on all the streetcars passing the Gaslamp really doesn't help with the hype.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
Last year i saw conan banners wrapped around bus stops or building on way to trolley depot lol, so they was pushing it at so many areas of san diego i guess besides the banners i saw for thor 3 last year lol.