Author Topic: Rental bikes and scooters  (Read 11586 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Rental bikes and scooters
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
These things are all over the place.  Like ALL OVER THE PLACE.  In San Francisco they consider them liter and are looking to outlaw them.  I can see that.  Here I've seen them park nicely but I've also seen them lying in the middle of the street stripped except for the frame.  I don't know the names of the companies but the ones I've seen are the silver bikes with Discover card advertising, green bikes, yellow bikes and the Bird electric scooters.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »
Yea, i can see whoever uses the bikes and leaving frame is like getting for parts and just leave frame cause not need any i guessing. guess they only can track frame with coding or trackers on it and so parts are taken off for use other bikes and frame left anywhere but cant tell who took parts if cant track parts any. i guess it one way to get a new free tire if cant afford to buy and so just take parts to resale or trade for anything at anytime.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 02:35:29 AM »

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:28 AM »
Last year, when we were in the line for the Laika exhibit, I saw someone using one of the bikes for the first time. The person had friends already in the line (in front of us) and she rode the bike there to catch up with them. At some point she left -- which I assumed was to return the bike -- and she came back on foot. She wasn't gone long, so I just thought the bike racks for returning were everywhere around downtown. Are they? Now I'm wondering if she ditched it around the corner or something.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last year, when we were in the line for the Laika exhibit, I saw someone using one of the bikes for the first time. The person had friends already in the line (in front of us) and she rode the bike there to catch up with them. At some point she left -- which I assumed was to return the bike -- and she came back on foot. She wasn't gone long, so I just thought the bike racks for returning were everywhere around downtown. Are they? Now I'm wondering if she ditched it around the corner or something.

Seems like only the "Discover Card"-bikes actually have racks, for the others (bright GREEN and YELLOW), you can leave them where ever and that's where you'll find them... where ever.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
If some have racks to store the bikes and some dont, then i guess they gotta get a permit or something that says at what location they can be stored at anytime. but if just anywhere and people get mad at the bikes, then i not be shocked if they strip the bike for parts or just toss it over cliffs as seen on news or even toss in dumpster if they fit lol just to show they not happy where anyone leaves a bike lol.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. LOL.  That lasted for ONE WEEK.  Won't affect San Diego obviously but I'm laughing pretty hard.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
Read some of article and guessing it was a test run if only lasted a short time. alot u can discover as u try new stuff and sometime it dont always go as u expect sometimes. so basically some states will have them and some wont for one reason or another.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »
Read some of article and guessing it was a test run if only lasted a short time. alot u can discover as u try new stuff and sometime it dont always go as u expect sometimes. so basically some states will have them and some wont for one reason or another.

No it wasn't a test run.  They came here to set up long term and the city shut them down.  The article makes it seem like it was their choice to shut down, but the city essentially forced it with their classification of the devices.  It was not a test run and I'm not sure how you got that from the article tbh.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
May just be business talk.  Now Lime says it was a pilot program (in their online petition You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) Their  "test run" in Charlotte seems to have opened the door for other ride share companies.

Did Hawaii send a Cease and Desist order to Lime? 

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
Did Hawaii send a Cease and Desist order to Lime?

No.  What they did was classify them as mopeds, which can't be stored on sidewalks.  They'd get fined over $1,000 for each offense, which means each time a rider isn't aware of this rule Lime got dinged for it.  Additionally, if the rider road it on a sidewalk, THEY would be fined over $1,000 or put in jail for 30 days.  Lime could continue operating under these conditions but there's no way they'd be financially feasible or have many customers left when they all wind up in jail or broke.  So... they were forced into closing up shop basically.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
The Atlantic has an interesting article today about who's actually charging the Bird scooters. It's LA-centric but still informative;

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »
From what i read of comments, the company i guess never gave an example as to how they be used or stored. so as they was being used then the state saw one view of it and connected the use to another version. not sure how much time or how they showed a demo any to have not permitted the service to have started to begin with in the first place. that why i thought was a test run if it was shut down so fast after it started. like most times i see on news they say and show how a service was gonna be done so the city or cities have a better idea and then give permission for it to be allowed at anytime.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »
like most times i see on news they say and show how a service was gonna be done so the city or cities have a better idea and then give permission for it to be allowed at anytime.

Not with a lot of these new, app-based services. Their philosophy seems to be "better to ask forgiveness than permission". It was the same with Uber and Lyft - in a lot of cities, they just started operating, since there was no city ordinance specifically prohibiting ride-sharing services. A lot of cities then had to pass new statutes regulating the practice as a reaction to it already happening. It was definitely not all planned in advance.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
The Atlantic has an interesting article today about who's actually charging the Bird scooters. It's LA-centric but still informative;

From what i read , they find ways to make some extra bank for charging and caring for the rides. also the xtra bank helps pay for power use to charge them over nite anytime and rest used for other wants or needs.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »
May be a good way to pay for parking and hotel too!

Lime

Bird

San Diego Bird scooters

"As for the future, VanderZanden stressed that this is a pilot program.
“Right now we are still testing. We’re not committing to expanding or keeping the scooters in San Diego.”
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:47:16 PM by SamTurtledove »