Author Topic: Celebrity sightings at restaurants  (Read 3158 times)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Celebrity sightings at restaurants
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »

Yeah, most aren't out and about like that. They're working all day and go to parties or events at night. Plus they don't want to get mobbed. They're probably ordering room service or having assistants bring back food in between interviews or panels. You might see them checking in and out of hotels before or after con. Or going to the yachts in the back for parties or press events.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been going for a longtime and the only restaurant I had sightings was at the Solamar during lunch, but it was mostly SciFi/Syfy people.

I also see celebs dining for lunch at the Wired Cafe held in the Omni, which is "invitation-only" and has a VIP area.

Honestly, I think most of the celebs have very full schedules and eat at the parties they go to in the evenings or at VIP-only places at other times.  I don't think many of them need to look for restaurants to eat at, particularly since fans would probably bother them, no matter how many times they are told not to do it.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Yeah, most aren't out and about like that. They're working all day and go to parties or events at night. Plus they don't want to get mobbed. They're probably ordering room service or having assistants bring back food in between interviews or panels. You might see them checking in and out of hotels before or after con. Or going to the yachts in the back for parties or press events.

If you keep your eyes open, you'll see them around the Gas Lamp. It's dark and they blend in with the crowds. I have seen Jared Padalecki, Katherine McPhee, David Ramsey, Lana Parrilla, Bex Mader, Rodrigo Santoro, David Anders, Eric Roberts, Rose McIver, Aly Michalka, and a bunch more just roaming around, not being bothered.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:18:03 AM »

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 07:27:53 AM »
I passed by Misha Collins on the sidewalk in the Gaslamp my first year and had a little freak out inside my head but I didn't bother him or anything. He was on the phone and had a shopping bag with him so he was clearly just hanging out/shopping/whatever. He did look at me though and I'm pretty sure he saw my internal struggle to stay cool  ;) 

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
I passed by Misha Collins on the sidewalk in the Gaslamp my first year and had a little freak out inside my head but I didn't bother him or anything. He was on the phone and had a shopping bag with him so he was clearly just hanging out/shopping/whatever. He did look at me though and I'm pretty sure he saw my internal struggle to stay cool  ;)
I saw him running on the sidewalk behind the MMM one morning. Same struggle! Didn't want to disturb his run.
Ang

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
I read on the hotel review thread that the US Grant is big for Conan sightings. They saw him hanging around the lobby of that hotel.
Makes sense since the spreckles theater is just across the street from that hotel.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
I saw Alan Tudyk at one of the outside bars at MMM a few years ago.  As he was at a bar and not, like, quietly at a private table I asked for a selfie.  He did say to be subtle though as he didn't want to be mobbed.  I tend to think there's a different atmosphere between bars and restaurants.  If someone is at a table with friends/family they tend to want to be left alone.  If they are at a bar or in a more social space, it's a bit more acceptable to approach them.  But if they decline, always be nice about it.  Sometimes even in a social setting they just want to have a beer or something and take in SDCC.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
Yea, if chance see any try be discreet so not to cause a mob as he said. celebs dont mind meeting fans cause it means what they do still matters and not sure how often they get noticed but they try avoid mobs due to safety and all. i guess ones who have secuirty are those who know they get mobbed anytime so celebs try to do what can at anytime.

Offline cbaggs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
Yea, if chance see any try be discreet so not to cause a mob as he said. celebs dont mind meeting fans cause it means what they do still matters and not sure how often they get noticed but they try avoid mobs due to safety and all. i guess ones who have secuirty are those who know they get mobbed anytime so celebs try to do what can at anytime.

I saw Norman Reedus and Jeffrey Dean Morgan walking on Fifth towards the Hard Rock on Saturday evening of SDCC 2016.  There were barricades up blocking off a lane of the street so no pedestrians could walk down that section, but that's where they were walking.  They were definitely trying to blend in but I couldn't help myself and just said "Norman!" and he turned to me, put his finger to his mouth as a "shhh" then smiled so I just silently waved at him.  Clearly he was hyper aware of the massive amounts of people out in the Gaslamp at that time and didn't want to draw attention to himself, but I appreciated his humor about it and I'm glad he was able to make it through without being mobbed.  I was just happy I got to semi say hi to him!

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »

I saw some of TWD cast leaving the Hard Rock late Sunday one year. They were getting into cabs though. I think they were checking out.

I saw Norman Reedus and Jeffrey Dean Morgan walking on Fifth towards the Hard Rock on Saturday evening of SDCC 2016.  There were barricades up blocking off a lane of the street so no pedestrians could walk down that section, but that's where they were walking.  They were definitely trying to blend in but I couldn't help myself and just said "Norman!" and he turned to me, put his finger to his mouth as a "shhh" then smiled so I just silently waved at him.  Clearly he was hyper aware of the massive amounts of people out in the Gaslamp at that time and didn't want to draw attention to himself, but I appreciated his humor about it and I'm glad he was able to make it through without being mobbed.  I was just happy I got to semi say hi to him!

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
I think celebrities would like me because I would have no idea who they were.  I constantly have to ask my husband who everyone is.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »
I think celebrities would like me because I would have no idea who they were.  I constantly have to ask my husband who everyone is.

I've ridden elevators with quite a few I do not recognize or don't care for. It's a typical elevator ride. My wife will chat them up if it's just us and them. If it's a crowded elevator, she will try not to draw attention to them.

I have also seen a few that I do not recognize, but you can tell by there demeanor that they WANT to be recognized. Almost to the point of offering to take a picture with me.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 02:24:46 PM »
I've ridden elevators with quite a few I do not recognize or don't care for. It's a typical elevator ride. My wife will chat them up if it's just us and them. If it's a crowded elevator, she will try not to draw attention to them.

I have also seen a few that I do not recognize, but you can tell by there demeanor that they WANT to be recognized. Almost to the point of offering to take a picture with me.

I've had two fun celebrity elevator encounters.

1) I was in an elevator up to a rooftop party and the elevator stopped on like the third floor. In steps Peter Capaldi.  He says hello and the crowded elevator politely says hello back, but the moment he turns to face the elevator doors we all looked at each other like "OMG IS THAT PETER CAPALDI??" We managed to school our expressions whenever he looked at us.  But we were all freaking out behind his back.  He got off after just a couple floors and bid us farewell, but the second the door closed we all just kind of erupted with "OMG's" at the brief encounter.

2) I was in an elevator with a bunch of strangers.  The door opens and a guy on the other side looks at the guy next to me and smiles wide. 

"I'm a huge fan!" he says to the stranger next to me. 

"Thank you," the guy responds and waves to his fan as the doors shut.  I have no idea who he is and it's suddenly just me and him in the elevator at this point. 

I awkwardly say "uh, so I guess you're someone famous?"

He says "yeah, you could say that.  I've been in the industry a few years." He then gets off at the next stop.

To this day I have no idea who this guy was.  Gray/white hair back in ponytail.  Larger nose. A little bit of a ruddy complexion.  I'm assuming that the "industry" is comics, but since it's a multi medium convention I can't be sure.  I hope this mystery gets solved someday. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
I've had two fun celebrity elevator encounters.

1) I was in an elevator up to a rooftop party and the elevator stopped on like the third floor. In steps Peter Capaldi.  He says hello and the crowded elevator politely says hello back, but the moment he turns to face the elevator doors we all looked at each other like "OMG IS THAT PETER CAPALDI??" We managed to school our expressions whenever he looked at us.  But we were all freaking out behind his back.  He got off after just a couple floors and bid us farewell, but the second the door closed we all just kind of erupted with "OMG's" at the brief encounter.

2) I was in an elevator with a bunch of strangers.  The door opens and a guy on the other side looks at the guy next to me and smiles wide. 

"I'm a huge fan!" he says to the stranger next to me. 

"Thank you," the guy responds and waves to his fan as the doors shut.  I have no idea who he is and it's suddenly just me and him in the elevator at this point. 

I awkwardly say "uh, so I guess you're someone famous?"

He says "yeah, you could say that.  I've been in the industry a few years." He then gets off at the next stop.

To this day I have no idea who this guy was.  Gray/white hair back in ponytail.  Larger nose. A little bit of a ruddy complexion.  I'm assuming that the "industry" is comics, but since it's a multi medium convention I can't be sure.  I hope this mystery gets solved someday.

If not suggested before, if u see a celeb and have no clue who they are but have a feeling they are one then just ask nicely who they mite be and inquire what shows or movies. say nice to meet u and all. by chance a pic with or autograph. cause im sure they dont mind being known and gain new fans any. so next time u can say hi and ask how they doing. i have met stars by chance and not expect to do so anytime but i try chat and say i saw show or movie by chance. i had chance meet richard hatch of battlestar galactica tv series and he was thankfull i saw show as kid and all. not get pic with but took pic of him with crew at time by chance. so was nice to meet somebody i saw on tv and enjoyed the show at time.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
If not suggested before, if u see a celeb and have no clue who they are but have a feeling they are one then just ask nicely who they mite be and inquire what shows or movies. say nice to meet u and all. by chance a pic with or autograph. cause im sure they dont mind being known and gain new fans any. so next time u can say hi and ask how they doing. i have met stars by chance and not expect to do so anytime but i try chat and say i saw show or movie by chance. i had chance meet richard hatch of battlestar galactica tv series and he was thankfull i saw show as kid and all. not get pic with but took pic of him with crew at time by chance. so was nice to meet somebody i saw on tv and enjoyed the show at time.

I did, though. And he was vague about it and wouldn't answer.  My "so I guess you're famous" was me sort of prodding him to tell me who he was.  Instead of doing so he gave a vague answer and then got out of the elevator.  So unfortunately it didn't really work in this case.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
Was eating at Vela in the Bayfront and the entire cast of Archer walked in to eat. It must have been after their panel.