Author Topic: Hannibal, Saturday, July 11th, 5:00pm-5:45pm, Ballroom 20  (Read 30727 times)

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
Re: Hannibal confirmed!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
Definitely a bummer for sure but not a surprise about the cancellation. I was wondering why when NBC announced the panels for their shows that they didn't include Hannibal. The ratings were pretty subpar for season 3 and I think fan response hasn't been as super positive as well, seeing how slow the episodes have been. But I'm glad they're still going to do a panel at CC anyway. I hope they can still do a panel in Ballroom 20 like last year.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »
This isn't over.  I'm not going to let this be over.  I've participated in far too many fan campaigns to let the best show on TV become a victim of bad network decisions.

I'm going to be writing an extensive article tonight and I know shameless self promotion is frowned upon a bit, but I intend on it being a one stop shop for this Save Our Show campaign.  Hope it's ok if I post it here when it's done. 

I refuse to let this show die.  REFUSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Hannibal, Saturday, July 11th, 5:00pm-5:45pm, Ballroom 20
« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:20:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 07:44:18 PM »
How can Hannibal be cancelled?  Are they averse to good tv?

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »

They're adverse to bad ratings which it all boils down to.

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 08:00:54 PM »
I feel like there's no way it won't get picked up by some other network (Hulu? Netflix? Amazon? PLEASE?), but this is still heartbreaking.

All the Hannibal events at SDCC just got a lot more crowded, that's for sure. While it was always going to be my main priority there, I think now I won't even feel bad at all if I have to miss something else I like to go to the Hannibal panel/etc.

I'm really hoping for a viewing party or some other kind of meet up or celebration with the cast/crew and fannibals, especially now! Think it might be a teary one.

Save Hannibal.

Offline SiddFinch

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »
This is such depressing (yet not altogether unexpected) news. Someone NEEDS to pick it up for season 4, and from the sound of things Bryan and Martha De Laurentiis are going to try their darndest to get us onto a new network. In any event, I'm sure the panel will be amazing. Bryan loves the fans, and I have no doubt he will pull out all the stops for us. And I can't wait to be there to show my support!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »
Contact information for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are in my article You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginl? Sorry for the self promotion, but I made lots of phone calls to compile this info and I think others can benefit from it.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

There are several issues at hand: 1) #1 reason is bad ratings. 2) the show is not owned by NBC so they get no money from future syndication or from international sales. 3) the showrunner, Bryan Fuller, has no deal past season 3. 4) it's been theorized that the cast/crew contracts will expire June 30th which is why NBC is making the announcement now as opposed to waiting a few more episodes. 5) they cannot get the rights to the Clarice Starling character (owned by MGM) so creatively, there's no canon story to be told after season 3 so they're a bit stuck (season 3 ends with Red Dragon and up next is Silent of the Lambs but they can't tell that story without the Clarice character), 6) Bryan Fuller has a new show, American Gods for Starz channel, and may theoretically be too tied up to fully work on a Hannibal season 4.

It's strange, I sort of made peace with the show's ending a couple days ago. I read all the recent articles and interviews with Bryan and it seems like he was strongly hinting that season 3 could be the last season. I know he has said that he has an idea of what to do with season 4 but if it's not Silence of the Lambs, will they end up treading water creatively?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:19:19 PM by omraged9 »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »
I have an incredible amount of faith that this show won't go stale.  It deserves to keep going.  Poor Bryan Fuller is cursed.  He's brilliant but networks just don't put enough faith in him.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 10:53:43 PM »
Angel, thanks for the article and for the number to Netflix and contact information for Hulu and Amazon. I would also like to do something at the panel to show our support, any ideas people?
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »
I've been a fan of Bryan's since Wonderfalls (2004) and I don't feel he's cursed. I think it was pretty amazing that we've gotten 3 seasons out of Hannibal and I feel NBC actually has treated the show relatively well compared to most shows that have low ratings. NBC could have stopped showing the rest of season 3 since the ratings are bad enough but I applaud them for sticking it out for the rest of the season. Bryan's had much worse treatment from Fox with Wonderfalls when the show got moved after 3-4 weeks and then cancelled after 4 episodes aired and the rest of the season was only seen after the DVD came out.

I think it was 2012 when Bryan presented his two NBC shows at his Comic Con panel that year where they showcased Mockingbird Lane and Hannibal. It was Mockingbird Lane that got multi-million dollar budget for the pilot and was presented first before Hannibal. It looked like NBC had more expectations for Mockingbird Lane and Hannibal was a slight after-thought. The pilot for Mockingbird Lane was already shot but they hadn't even cast Hannibal yet. I remember viewing the clips and thinking Mockingbird Lane looked pretty cool and wasn't sure how Hannibal would go. I wasn't really a fan of the Hannibal franchise either. But I was intrigued by the Red Dragon aspect/focus. We all know what happened with the two shows after that. Fast forward to now. I've developed a huge amount of respect for the franchise now and Bryan blew my mind with his creativity and storytelling with the show. I am so excited for the upcoming Red Dragon storyline (awesome casting with Richard Armitage) and I am happy that they were at least able to finish out the storyline that Bryan always wanted to do.  My point is, the show went above and beyond anyone's expectations creatively. The show got more seasons/episodes than his two previous shows combined even with its low ratings. Bryan is not cursed. He's done the show he set out to do (Red Dragon). He may have had ideas for 6-7 seasons but we all knew it wasn't guaranteed. I'm happy we got what we got and if the show lives on on a different network, even if we never get Silence of the Lambs, I'll definitely support and watch the show. If it doesn't, I'm thankful for what we got.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 11:43:14 PM »
Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm also thankful Bryan had the foresight to combine the Hannibal on the run & Red Dragon seasons into season 3 instead of following his original plan of Hannibal on the run for season 3 and Red Dragon for season 4. I can't imagine if we never got to see the Red Dragon part; that would have been horrible and crushing.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 12:42:10 AM »
I'm thankful for what we got too but I'm desperate to save it.  We're all geeks here.  We all have things we get overly passionate about to an extreme degree.  This one is mine.  I'm strangely more known in the Supernatural fandom, but my heart lies with Hannibal and while I respect people more passive thoughts on letting the show go.... I can't.  I'm way too invested.  I need more.  I can't let this end at three seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
I'm actually glad that Hannibal has so many diehard, passionate fans and if it helps in saving the show, I'm all for it. I think the cast of Hannibal is great and if Bryan has a cool idea for season 4, I'm sure season 4 will be as good as the previous seasons even if it's non-canon.

It sounds like to me that they have the best shot with Amazon since Amazon has the current rights to air the show for several years. I would have preferred Netflix but it sounds like their current Amazon deal would prevent the show from signing a contract with Netflix since Netflix generally has exclusive rights to air their shows on Netflix only. So I wonder, is it better to focus the 'save the show' campaign on Amazon as opposed to trying to write to all the streaming companies (Netflix, Hulu, Yahoo, etc.)?

Offline SiddFinch

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 07:30:06 AM »
Angel, thanks for the article and for the number to Netflix and contact information for Hulu and Amazon. I would also like to do something at the panel to show our support, any ideas people?

I really like the idea of doing something as fans at the panel to show the cast/ creators our support and how much the show means to us. Nothing comes to my mind off-hand... so yeah, can we start a brain-storming session?