Author Topic: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?  (Read 129146 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Brussels sprouts? I live in Brussels sprout central so I should probably learn how to cook them better :) An added complication I am having these days is trying to move to a very low-sodium diet since many of the recipes I know for veggies are pretty high in sodium.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Brussels sprouts? I live in Brussels sprout central so I should probably learn how to cook them better :) An added complication I am having these days is trying to move to a very low-sodium diet since many of the recipes I know for veggies are pretty high in sodium.
as someone who rarely cooks with anything processed and has to be reminded to add salt, this baffles me.... just don't add salt ? What am i missing?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
Hmmm...I can't remember the last time I cooked Brussels Sprouts...but I'm up for the challenge.

Week 1: Kale
Week 2: Brussels Sprouts
Week 3:
Week 4:

Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
as someone who rarely cooks with anything processed and has to be reminded to add salt, this baffles me.... just don't add salt ? What am i missing?

Many of the ways I've been cooking vegetables involve some salt, like roasting things like Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower with salt and pepper. Or braising things like kale or beet greens in stock. I'm on this low sodium thing less that a week now so still at the point where I am looking obsessively at all of the nutritional labels and trying to find alternatives. Part of it too is likely just needing time for my palate to adjust.

I am supposed to shoot for under 1500mg of sodium a day and it's amazing how fast that "budget" can go and how many little things have 50 or 100mg here and there.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
I love salt and add it to everything.  My arteries are clogging up just thinking about it.  But I avoid adding butter or lots of oil to my veggies, so it is a trade off.  I love roasted brussel sprouts.

How about SPAGHETTI SQUASH?  The only thing I know to do with it is a buffalo chicken recipe with cheese on top, which is delicious.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
I love salt and add it to everything.  My arteries are clogging up just thinking about it.  But I avoid adding butter or lots of oil to my veggies, so it is a trade off.  I love roasted brussel sprouts.

This is me. I (knock on wood) have never had blood pressure problems, which is good, because I salt everything to an insane degree. Generally we do brussels sprouts with lots of salt and pepper, or with pancetta (also salty). Sometimes we just do a balsamic vinegar glaze, though... is there lots of sodium in that?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
This is me. I (knock on wood) have never had blood pressure problems, which is good, because I salt everything to an insane degree. Generally we do brussels sprouts with lots of salt and pepper, or with pancetta (also salty). Sometimes we just do a balsamic vinegar glaze, though... is there lots of sodium in that?

Balsamic vinegar is great, a little more sodium than other vinegars but still really low, will have to try a glaze. I've been using it with olive oil for a makeshift salad dressing.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Balsamic vinegar is great, a little more sodium than other vinegars but still really low, will have to try a glaze. I've been using it with olive oil for a makeshift salad dressing.

That's my go-to salad dressing, I don't even bother to buy it anymore.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
I joined Weight Watchers today! Well a few days ago but I started today. :)

Does anyone else use WW? How do you like it?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ

My wife has done it for a while now and likes it, she's found it really helpful. I think the only complaint she's had is that they seem to switch up the program every year or so, but that's not a big complaint. She really likes the resources, plus she has some friends that are in WW so there's a social aspect to it too.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
It's interesting for me to read this thread as I sip my bulletproof (fatty) tea. I'm doing the keto diet and have lost a lot of weight. Essentially it is low carb/high fat. So I'm having lots of salt, butter, oil... but almost no carbs.

I should point out that my blood pressure and cholesterol and very low, and always have been, so this diet isn't a health risk for me.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610

I started Weight Watchers again after Comicpalooza last year (May). I have been doing well-have lost 35 pounds so far. I am loving the new Freestyle program (mostly because they made corn zero points!! Also like that chicken breast and eggs are zero points) I do it online only, but it really gives me structure.

Wasn't brussel sprouts what Sheldon had on cruciferous vegetable night...  ;)
Ang

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
I started Weight Watchers again after Comicpalooza last year (May). I have been doing well-have lost 35 pounds so far. I am loving the new Freestyle program (mostly because they made corn zero points!! Also like that chicken breast and eggs are zero points) I do it online only, but it really gives me structure.

Wasn't brussel sprouts what Sheldon had on cruciferous vegetable night...  ;)

Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
I’ve been trying to rekindle my love-hate relationship with running, with more love. I am a slow jogger, and I struggle with the form and mental toughness that running requires. The Nike Run app now has guided runs that give you specific run goals, with audio guidance. I tried the first one today and I’m in love! It is a positive and supportive experience, I highly recommend to anyone wanting to shake up their running game.
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Any kinda safe exercise can help so u not get winded or feel gotta take a break alot and able to handle walking at anytime through out the day. there are variety areas and places u can sit, chat and grab some eats if not have any with u at time. even slow job is good to where it kinda like fast walking in a way and the more u walk or jog over time u wont mind walking or jogging cause u pace ur breathing and feel better with the fresh air u get around u if not around areas that got u sucking in crap in ways. but being at the con is really not alot of running it more like alot of walking at times cause for safety u cant run inside just fast walking if not in area the gets clogged cause people stop and dont move when told to at time. but there are times staff be around and if see it slow too much they will say to move to side so traffic keeps flowing like the blod in ur veins when nothing stops it from flowing right. that one thing about a job i had last year , it gave u some power to make everyone move at anytime if on the clock. but had to deal with it when not working lol cause had staff around to help at anytime.