Author Topic: Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge  (Read 13613 times)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
Iron Fist Hot Pot. Ok, so it's not a true hot pot, but it sounds cool, so I'm rolling with it. Technically,  you can do this as a true hot pot if you want.

5¼ cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 ¼-inch-thick slices fresh ginger, peeled
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 teaspoons canola oil
1¾ cups shiitake or cremini mushrooms, stemmed, and sliced (4 ounces)
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
2 small bok choy, cut into ½-inch pieces, stems and greens separated
3½ ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or rice sticks (find in international section)
1 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 cup grated carrots, (about 2 large)
4-6 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (I didn't have any)
¼ cup chopped scallions, for garnish
Preparation
Combine broth, ginger and garlic in a large pot; bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Discard the ginger and garlic.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bok choy stems; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture to the broth. Add noodles, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes. Add bok choy greens and tofu; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, vinegar to taste, soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve garnished with scallions.

I'll see what I can do to add photos.

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
All these dishes look great! I'm not able to make my dish today. I didn't have the right ingredients, waited too long on what I wanted to make, and had a headache all day long because of pressure changes from this crazy rain/thunderstorm over Brooklyn. I'll try and post tomorrow. Sorry! Everything looks delicious though!

believe me, i get it... LOL
i just knew if i didn't do it then it'd not happen - ;) so i figured it'd be better to get a hack job up rather then a fully fleshed out idea --- i guess that has to do with the live/improv vs. the post/movie types LOL /yes, i am proud of myself for that one/
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 07:40:54 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
My Baby Bok Choy dish for the #ComicConFit #FebVeggieChallenge. Served with short grain #brownrice. Sorry for the late post...was busy last night after the show.

Ingredient list (I'll add instructions when I have more time):

- Baby bok choy
- Shiitake #mushrooms
- Beef #steak
- Tomatoes
- Leeks
- Garlic
- Ginger
- Lemon #lemonzest
- Soy sauce
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes

Turned out pretty good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
sweet potatoes up next
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
    • Hall H Show Podcast
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
sweet potatoes up next
I've never cooked with sweet potatoes before (or eggplant)...these last two will be interesting.

Personal:

Hall H:

Comic Con Fit:

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »
Sorry for being a day late, but I guess better late than never? Okay, so I've been watching a lot of the Winter Olympics in South Korea. I had forgotten that I had these Korean Rice Cakes in the freezer. So I defrosted them for this. I made kind of a soup rice cake based dish. This dish was completely made up, so apologies in advance for not having a better ingredient and recipe list.

Ingredients:
2 bunches of baby bok choy
A small bundle of scallions
4 s**take mushrooms
2-3 slices of juliened ginger
2-3 slices of red bell pepper
2 cups of chicken stock
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 cup of liquid from the boiled rice cakes
1 tablespoon potato starch

First we sliced and chopped up the vegetables.

We sauteed the ginger in mostly vegetable oil with a splash of sesame oil. Then added the mushrooms.

We added a tablespoon of soy sauce and continued to sautee the mushrooms and ginger. At this point, we began boiling the rice cakes for 3-5 minutes.

In a separate pot, we boiled the baby bok choy with the chicken stock.

We blanched the few slices of red bell pepper so really bring the color out.

We then added the cooked rice cakes with the mushrooms and ginger.

We mixed a tablespoon of potato starch with a spoonful of the chicken stock in a small bowl. Then pour the bowl into the chicken stock. This will thicken the soup base. Also add a tablespoon. We accidentally forgot to cook the scallions with the bok choy. So we added it to the soup later.

Pour the soup base into the pot with the rice cakes, mushrooms, and ginger. You can cook it a little longer to thicken the soup.

It smelled soo good that I didn't even wait for the soup to thicken.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
    • Hall H Show Podcast
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
Sorry for being a day late, but I guess better late than never? Okay, so I've been watching a lot of the Winter Olympics in South Korea. I had forgotten that I had these Korean Rice Cakes in the freezer. So I defrosted them for this. I made kind of a soup rice cake based dish. This dish was completely made up, so apologies in advance for not having a better ingredient and recipe list.

Ingredients:
2 bunches of baby bok choy
A small bundle of scallions
4 s**take mushrooms
2-3 slices of juliened ginger
2-3 slices of red bell pepper
2 cups of chicken stock
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 cup of liquid from the boiled rice cakes
1 tablespoon potato starch

First we sliced and chopped up the vegetables.

We sauteed the ginger in mostly vegetable oil with a splash of sesame oil. Then added the mushrooms.

We added a tablespoon of soy sauce and continued to sautee the mushrooms and ginger. At this point, we began boiling the rice cakes for 3-5 minutes.

In a separate pot, we boiled the baby bok choy with the chicken stock.

We blanched the few slices of red bell pepper so really bring the color out.

We then added the cooked rice cakes with the mushrooms and ginger.

We mixed a tablespoon of potato starch with a spoonful of the chicken stock in a small bowl. Then pour the bowl into the chicken stock. This will thicken the soup base. Also add a tablespoon. We accidentally forgot to cook the scallions with the bok choy. So we added it to the soup later.

Pour the soup base into the pot with the rice cakes, mushrooms, and ginger. You can cook it a little longer to thicken the soup.

It smelled soo good that I didn't even wait for the soup to thicken.

Looks awesome! I love those little rice cakes!

Personal:

Hall H:

Comic Con Fit:

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
I've never cooked with sweet potatoes before (or eggplant)...these last two will be interesting.

/speachless/ baked sweet potato?

those are the best creations! Welcome to the dark side /break the chains of recipes/ & and enjoy the art of cooking what you have in the house ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:15:47 PM by alyssa »

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
/speachless/ baked sweet potato?
those are the best creations! Welcome to the dark side /break the chains of recipes/ & and enjoy the art of cooking what you have in the house ;)

My sweet potatoes will look better than my rice cake soup. :-) I want Louis to make his sweet potato casserole. I love it even better than mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries. I'm utterly terrified of making up a meal by random. Mostly because my taste buds suck. I'm a garbage disposal when it comes to food. I have no regard what goes down my gullet and when. I'll mix things together and Louis will be like, "That's disgusting. How can you eat that!" and I just shrug. I'm just thankful the flavors went together well enough. XD

Looks awesome! I love those little rice cakes!

I love those rice cakes too! I found a restaurant in New Jersey, not far from the city where they serve these cakes. It's right next to a huge H Mart, an Asian Mega Supermarket. It's like a little Korean strip mall. My mom used to make the rice cakes too. She would use corn starch to make this this sauce to pour over them with those Chinese cured sausages. That was good too. It brings back fond memories.

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 07:24:53 AM »
My sweet potatoes will look better than my rice cake soup. :-) I want Louis to make his sweet potato casserole. I love it even better than mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries. I'm utterly terrified of making up a meal by random. Mostly because my taste buds suck. I'm a garbage disposal when it comes to food. I have no regard what goes down my gullet and when. I'll mix things together and Louis will be like, "That's disgusting. How can you eat that!" and I just shrug. I'm just thankful the flavors went together well enough. XD

I am resisting making sweet potato casserole or fries... I'm going to try something savory.  I have a feeling Louis would be, like, nope /shakes head/nope, to some of my creations LOL - but I've got to try them- like the dish i made last week, the roasted cauliflower, sweet potato, roast garlic & ginger soup with coconut milk- will be made again- just without boc choy LOL and maybe a little less ginger

/oh, i might do that again this week...../

I also did an interesting wok thing last night with baby carrots and frozen fake chicken. I cut the carrots in half, chopped ginger & onions, added it all to the wok tossed a bit & then added stock- covered for a bit till the carrots were almost cooked, added the fake chicken, uncovered on high till the stock reduced & added a little dark sauce for flavor. serve over rice--

I never have tried cooking carrots in a wok before nor adding stock- it simply did not occur to me to reduce the stock & create a sauce- I gather this is a simple technique for folks growing up with wok's- which is not me LOL
but- the point is it's a great everyday healthy, after work meal that can be made with whatever is in the house
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:28:04 AM by alyssa »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
Walks into store to buy sweet potatoes.

Sees 6 different kinds.

Walks back to car.

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »

Sees 6 different kinds.

Walks back to car.

/throws potatos at u/

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »
/throws potatos at u/

I will be prepared next time, as I now know my Hannas from my Garnets. Electra makes an amazing sweet potato pie but I want to try something more savory, I'm pretty certain I know what I'm going to do.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »
I am resisting making sweet potato casserole or fries... I'm going to try something savory.  I have a feeling Louis would be, like, nope /shakes head/nope, to some of my creations LOL - but I've got to try them- like the dish i made last week, the roasted cauliflower, sweet potato, roast garlic & ginger soup with coconut milk- will be made again- just without boc choy LOL and maybe a little less ginger

/oh, i might do that again this week...../

I also did an interesting wok thing last night with baby carrots and frozen fake chicken. I cut the carrots in half, chopped ginger & onions, added it all to the wok tossed a bit & then added stock- covered for a bit till the carrots were almost cooked, added the fake chicken, uncovered on high till the stock reduced & added a little dark sauce for flavor. serve over rice--

I never have tried cooking carrots in a wok before nor adding stock- it simply did not occur to me to reduce the stock & create a sauce- I gather this is a simple technique for folks growing up with wok's- which is not me LOL
but- the point is it's a great everyday healthy, after work meal that can be made with whatever is in the house

I'm much more open to eating weird stuff than Louis. He's very American and he will shy away from stuff my family won't think twice about eating.

I always joke that a Chinese kitchen has the least amount of tools. It seemed, when I was a kid, the only thing my parents used was the meat cleaver, a wok, a pot, and rice cooker for every meal prepared.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:58 AM »

Sees 6 different kinds.

Walks back to car.

This made me look up the difference between Yams and Sweet Potatoes. I'm still confused.