Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57980 times)

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »
From past history, when do pre con shift emails go out for sign up?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2019, 10:41:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From past history, when do pre con shift emails go out for sign up?

Last year they went out on 6/28.  So a couple of weeks before.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #347 on: Today at 03:37:29 AM »

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #347 on: May 24, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »
Can we request that as our first choice if we never volunteered before?

Yeah totally! past few years there were a lot new ppl there. The only thing is the staff would ask who has done the job before and those that have done the job before get to stay inside on the tables handing out the freebies. The new ppl get to hold a sign somewhere near around the MGH directing ppl where the room is located. But it is possible for a newbie to stay inside at the tables, that was my case 4 years ago and I've been doing the same job since, I love it! :D

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #348 on: May 24, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
what would be a good assignment for a newbie? It will be my first time, have a 4 day badge but was looking to get something on thursday

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
Also what are good positions for a newbie who can't lift that much either!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #350 on: May 24, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »
what would be a good assignment for a newbie? It will be my first time, have a 4 day badge but was looking to get something on thursday

You generally get to pick the time or the job, not both.  So if you want a particular time, they assign you a job that needs doing at that time.  If you want a particular job, then they'll assign a time when that job needs doing.  So decide what's more important to you, the time when you do it or the job you do.

If you have a 4 day badge, then you don't need to do a shift to have a comic-con pass for any day.  Sunday post-con is a popular shift for people with 4 day badges since then they don't have to miss any of the con.

Also what are good positions for a newbie who can't lift that much either!

There are plenty of jobs to do that don't require lifting.  Such as holding up a sign, reminding people to tap in and out at portals and, as it's called by many daily volunteers, being a "human traffic cone".  They are many others.  There's no shortage of jobs to do that don't require lifting.

But as I said above, what's more important to you.  The time you do it or the job you do?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:12:09 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #351 on: May 24, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »
You generally get to pick the time or the job, not both.  So if you want a particular time, they assign you a job that needs doing at that time.  If you want a particular job, then they'll assign a time when that job needs doing.  So decide what's more important to you, the time when you do it or the job you do.

If you have a 4 day badge, then you don't need to do a shift to have a comic-con pass for any day.  Sunday post-con is a popular shift for people with 4 day badges since then they don't have to miss any of the con.

Sunday post-con sounds tempting, any clue to what kind of jobs there? I'm coming from mexico and my speaking abilities are not that great lol looking for something where I dont have to be chatty

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #352 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36:22 PM »
Sunday post-con sounds tempting, any clue to what kind of jobs there? I'm coming from mexico and my speaking abilities are not that great lol looking for something where I dont have to be chatty

That's easy.  Line management.  One job is just standing there holding a sign.  Occasionally someone might ask you a question but on Sunday, post-con, that's rare.

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #353 on: May 24, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
That's easy.  Line management.  One job is just standing there holding a sign.  Occasionally someone might ask you a question but on Sunday, post-con, that's rare.
Line management can also include to sort and compress the line or prevent people to cut it.

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #354 on: May 26, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »
We can Volunteer for Hall H? is that the people making sure no phones are recording?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2019, 07:31:10 PM »
We can Volunteer for Hall H? is that the people making sure no phones are recording?

That job is up to security and actual SDCC Staff. There are no positions for volunteers inside Hall H to monitor for videos being recorded. Technically, there aren't many jobs specifically tied to Hall H, since there isn't that big of a need. Most volunteers near Hall H either work for line management, or are those dealing with bathroom tickets. (But both of these jobs aren't again specifically tied to Hall H)

Offline teppope

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #356 on: May 29, 2019, 05:22:20 AM »
how long do you usually have to volunteer? And does that qualify us for returning registration?

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #357 on: May 29, 2019, 06:12:23 AM »
how long do you usually have to volunteer? And does that qualify us for returning registration?
Each shift is 3 hours long and no, volunteering does not qualify you for returning registration

Offline teppope

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #358 on: May 29, 2019, 06:28:06 AM »
and if I come in on Wednesday and do a shift, I can pick Friday as my free day. Then come in Thursday and pick Saturday as my free day....It works like that right? Can I do two shifts on Wednesday and pick Friday and Saturday?

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #359 on: May 29, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »

and if I come in on Wednesday and do a shift, I can pick Friday as my free day. Then come in Thursday and pick Saturday as my free day....It works like that right? Can I do two shifts on Wednesday and pick Friday and Saturday?

No, you have a free day if you do a pre-con shift. Your free day can be any day of the con. Any other you only have badge to enter the con the day you volunteer. You can only volunteer one shift per day.