Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 153836 times)

Offline dollar2k3

• Room 6BCF
  • Cleveland is the city!
  • Liked: 91
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »
For those dog days in the lines of Hall H. Save your legs!!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Yzrfan

• Exhibit Hall
  • Who would buy two Wonder Kales?
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »
REI has the trail stools You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And the flex chair. I know several members have these so ask around if it's easy to put together. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And they also sell the slacker chair. We have used these for the past several years. It's nice to have something to sit on while in line, but they can tend to be a pain carrying them around since they tend to be a little long. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

My suggestion is go to your local store and try them out. Each one has its own pro and cons. The flex chair has a weight limit and you have to put it together. The slacker chair is long and can get in the way while you're using the shoulder strap. The trail stool doesn't have any back support, but it can be placed in your back pack. With the slacker chair and trail stool, you might be a little sore after a couple hours of sitting in it if you're not use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic Before the dark times before the Empire" - Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #302 on: Today at 03:28:49 AM »

Offline dollar2k3

• Room 6BCF
  • Cleveland is the city!
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »
I personally used this last year at SDCC and it worked fantastic.

The only drawback for me is that it doesn't break down super fast so if the line starts moving all of a sudden you'll have to do some work to collapse it and get it back into the bag. Its really easy to set up though.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
We use the Helinox chairs too. Jopari recommended them, and he is certainly an expert! I had no complaints about the chairs last year. We took them along when we knew we would be 'camping' (i.e. lining up for multiple hours in one place without moving).

Offline dollar2k3

• Room 6BCF
  • Cleveland is the city!
« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
We use the Helinox chairs too. Jopari recommended them, and he is certainly an expert! I had no complaints about the chairs last year. We took them along when we knew we would be 'camping' (i.e. lining up for multiple hours in one place without moving).

We go backpacking and use them to have somewhere to sit when in the middle of the wilderness so we figured they'd come just as much in handy when in line for a while. They'll be in our backpacks once again this year for sure!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »
That's true... as 'hiking' chairs, they're good for sitting on the grass, which can be 'lumpy'. They're very stable!

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
Years ago I had what seemed to be the first design of those Helinox-type chairs, they didn't have the extra 2 prongs to make them self-standing. You had to balance yourself with your legs. Consequently, when I fell asleep waiting in line (most likely Hall H), I promptly tipped over onto the sidewalk - a rude awakening! These newer designs are much better!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:48:20 AM by debster »

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2016, 12:12:06 AM »
I'm in the Hard Rock.  But there's close, and then there is close enough to carry 2-3 cases of water plus other groceries. :)

I know this is like, a year late, but I am getting caught up on old posts and I had an epiphany!

Rolling luggage!  If you have any, take it to Ralph's, ha ha  8)

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #308 on: February 28, 2016, 12:39:23 AM »
On my Southwest flight they didn't care about my poster tube. It may have counted as my second carry-on item? The only other thing I had was a backpack. Although even if I had a second item that wasn't the poster tube, I don't think they would have cared.

We take Southwest, and my carry on laptop bag is messenger style so it has a huge flap.  I stick the poster tube under the flap, so even if it sticks out both ends, it technically all counts as a single (T-shaped) bag.  That plus my rolling carry on are my two carry-ons  O0

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #309 on: February 28, 2016, 03:14:58 AM »
If you're not connecting, Southwest at SAN is usually pretty generous. The last year I flew to/from SDCC was the year Clash of the Titans had their huge 'arena' on the Hilton Bayfront lawn. I got a big cardboard shield for my son there (side note: he still has it and plays with it!). It was way too wide to fit in my rolling carryon suitcase, much less my personal item, and so was a third item for me. I was so worried, but going through TSA and then boarding my Southwest flight, the only comments I got from the personnel were about how cool it was. They all know about Comic Con, and no one had issues with me bringing it on.

Now to be fair, I took a window seat and leaned it against the wall, by my legs, so I didn't take up any overhead bin space with it.  ;)

Offline iogpsych

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #310 on: February 28, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »

I know this is like, a year late, but I am getting caught up on old posts and I had an epiphany!

Rolling luggage!  If you have any, take it to Ralph's, ha ha  8)
Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #311 on: February 28, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
The most valuable item I bring is a big bag of Red Vines. Some of the best friends I have in this world I met sitting in line while sharing my stash of licorice.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #312 on: February 28, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »
The most valuable item I bring is a big bag of Red Vines. Some of the best friends I have in this world I met sitting in line while sharing my stash of licorice.

That's pretty awesome.

It is true that sugary treats tend to bring people together.  ^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #313 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »
That's pretty awesome.

It is true that sugary treats tend to bring people together.  ^__^

One year (maybe 2014?) I remember sitting on the sidewalk for hours waiting for our GoT tattoos and swapping KIND bars with other people in line.  They had been handing them out all around town and everybody had different flavors.   

Offline dollar2k3

• Room 6BCF
  • Cleveland is the city!
« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
This bad boy will be in my gear stash for this year

Tested and approved! A full 24 hours of cold water. Last year my regular Nalgene would get warm and kinda gross ater a few hours of standing in the Hall H line.