Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 154105 times)

Offline TheTimmer

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »
WRT poster/document tubes, I'm a big fan of this one:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The diamter lets it fit the side water bottle pocket for most backpacks, and sits about as tall as a decent size backpack when it's in the pocket and unexpanded, so it can be secured.  There is a larger version, 3 1/2" dia, 29" long, expands to 40".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:57:30 AM by TheTimmer »
-----
A pizza with a radius of Z and a thickness of A has a volume of Pi*Z*Z*A

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
Just keep in mind there's not a lot of room in Hall H itself so whatever you bring with you should be small enough to fit in front of you/on your lap or you should plan on bringing it back to your car/hotel before going into the room.  If that's not a problem, heck yeah bring a sleeping back.  :)  I just bring a sleep sack (like a sleeping back, but about as thing as a sheet), and a sweater and I'm fine.  The hard ground does suck though.

O.k thanks Angel, so sleeping pad for sure and then the sleeping bag I saw at Costco.  It folds down to a manageable size and i can toss it under my chair in Hall H and throw the sleeping pad in my backpack. 
Twitter feed: @mel641

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 11:28:56 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Here's a tip. If you want to save money, and you're not too picky, you can get free Hall H camping gear on the Hall H lawn, about 30 minutes after the line is let in.  ;)

Seriously, it's amazing how many people dump their camping gear on the lawn because once the night is over they don't want it. I've seen folding chairs, air mattresses, sleeping bags, blankets, pillows... these people need to be assessed with a fine for littering.

angel_k

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »
Omg I might have to go scavenging for gear lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
WRT poster/document tubes, I'm a big fan of this one:

I have been look for a good poster tube for prints!  Thank you!

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
Here's a tip. If you want to save money, and you're not too picky, you can get free Hall H camping gear on the Hall H lawn, about 30 minutes after the line is let in.  ;)

Seriously, it's amazing how many people dump their camping gear on the lawn because once the night is over they don't want it. I've seen folding chairs, air mattresses, sleeping bags, blankets, pillows... these people need to be assessed with a fine for littering.
Hopefully the homeless know about this.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »

I'm surprised more homeless people haven't raided the Hall H leftovers.  Last year, my wife and I on Sunday tripped over sleeping bags, pillows, etc when we seat jumped for SOA.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
The Salvation Army or some other non profit should setup a bin by the Hall H doors where people can just toss their sleeping bags and pillows in for donation.  I can't imagine the convention center was to thrilled picking up after everybody.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
Yeah, if they set up a bin in a convenient location, I'm sure a lot of people would take the time to drop it off.  That would be a wonderful way to go. 

I know last year I was worried about having space in my luggage for my sleeping bag, but it ended up working out fine.  I was also able to run back to the hotel to drop it off each morning so people weren't tripping over it in the hall.  But that assumes a downtown hotel.   :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
Does anyone in SoCal has a contact at goodwill/Salvation army?

I can see CCI allowing them access to pick up the discarded stuff.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2014, 10:12:06 AM »
Yeah, if they set up a bin in a convenient location, I'm sure a lot of people would take the time to drop it off.  That would be a wonderful way to go. 

Yeah, i was just thinking of having the bin(s) right by the doors when people file into hall H and just tossing it in without having to get out of line.

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
I just bought one of those collapsible 3 leg stools from amazon for $15.  I plan to use this for every line but Hall H as that line unfortunately requires a sleeping bag.  :P

Offline pacino408

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »
Picked up one of those bcw storfolio's and that passport/con badge holder that another member recommended. Now I just have to go find my perfect backpack for the con.

Offline Ghost6

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
I used to cart around my messenger bag filled with all sorts of snacks, Chapstick, water, pens and paper. Etc....but then I realized that all that was really essential to me was my phone and an external battery.  That is truly one of the joys of staying downtown...leave the con if you can, have lunch at any number of downtown restaurants, go back to your room to relax, take a break and kick back while checking out the happenings across the street.  It's easy to fall into overpacking for every occasion, but the reality is...you can easily make do with less.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
I would say that the one time you do want to pack a bag and have things with you is if you are planning on sitting in a panel room all day. if you can't easily leave, it's good to have anything you might need with you!