Author Topic: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans  (Read 245372 times)

TravT77

Re: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans
« Reply #660 on: January 13, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »
Hey y’all! Just wanted to let all the first timers know how important it is to be active on this forum. You would be surprised how much of a difference being a part of this group can make! Our first time to SDCC was in 2017, and thanks to the FoCC buying groups we scored 4-day badges for both of us and during Hotelpocalypse another member got us a room at the Westin Gaslamp! We were totally shut-out with our own attempts at both. Then, this year (shut-out again for badge sale)we were able to get 4-day badges for both of us AGAIN thanks to our buying group!! I can’t say enough good things about the FoCC community!

So, stay active, keep reading the invaluable posts by the veterans, and ask questions, and I guarantee this group will help you have the best Comic Con experience possible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #661 on: January 13, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
It's not just being helped with hotel and badges (although yes, that is a big part of how we try to help each other) but also with information. As the con gets closer, there are lots of threads about various panels, offsites, events, etc. happening during the con. You will be amazed at how much information is gathered here. I know that I have learned about things I might never have otherwise discovered because of this site, and I am better for it.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #662 on: Today at 03:48:21 PM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #662 on: January 13, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »
Alot info on the boards so can try do a search for any or even ask and get many different takes of what u wonder about most at anytime.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #663 on: January 23, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey y’all! Just wanted to let all the first timers know how important it is to be active on this forum. You would be surprised how much of a difference being a part of this group can make! Our first time to SDCC was in 2017, and thanks to the FoCC buying groups we scored 4-day badges for both of us and during Hotelpocalypse another member got us a room at the Westin Gaslamp! We were totally shut-out with our own attempts at both. Then, this year (shut-out again for badge sale)we were able to get 4-day badges for both of us AGAIN thanks to our buying group!! I can’t say enough good things about the FoCC community!

So, stay active, keep reading the invaluable posts by the veterans, and ask questions, and I guarantee this group will help you have the best Comic Con experience possible!!

Hi! How did you join a hotel buying group? Thanks

TravT77

« Reply #664 on: January 23, 2019, 07:05:26 AM »
Hi! There isn’t really a hotel buying group like there is for badges. During the hotelpocalypse sale, lots of members who have already secured a room will try to get extra rooms at the more desirable hotels and then transfer those to others who were not lucky in getting what the wanted. That’s how we got into the Westin. Just keep checking the site as we get closer to the sale. You should start to see postings related to this.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #665 on: January 24, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
Hey guys.  Sorry to self promote, but I wrote a super extensive guide on how to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and I figured people cruising this thread may find it helpful.  I link back to the forum in it, so since I took advice from the forum for the piece I figured I'd give back to it a bit with it too.  I spent like a week gathering details for it so I hope people find it helpful.

Love y'all <3

Offline mellyreid

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #666 on: February 27, 2019, 07:26:55 AM »
Devouring all the posts, tips, and tricks. Feel so behind as there is a lot to know! Can’t wait to go!! #newbiehere

TravT77

« Reply #667 on: February 27, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »
Devouring all the posts, tips, and tricks. Feel so behind as there is a lot to know! Can’t wait to go!! #newbiehere
You are in the right place! Our first trip in 2017, I didn’t run into any surprises during the convention (aside from setting off the fire alarm at the Westin trying to steam the wrinkles from a shirt. DO NOT USE STEAM in your hotel rooms). That was without a doubt thanks to the members of this group. So many were helpful, but a special shoutout to @tsnyder, @transmute jun, and @BenEatsRice!

My own personal advice is commit to whatever you plan on doing everyday. We were new, and grew a little impatient waiting in line for the GoT offsite for 5 hours. So we jumped out of line and tried to get into the Stranger Things exhibit only to find the line for that was equally as long. End result, we just gave up and got lunch before heading back to the convention center. So, if it is important to you to see a particular exhibit/offsite, then just get comfortable and make some new friends in the line!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #668 on: February 27, 2019, 10:25:59 AM »
Adding to TravT77's 'commit' comment... I find that it helps to plan ONE big thing per day that you want to do, then go and pursue that until you have it. If it's getting into Hall H, then all you do is pursue getting into Hall H until you are there. If it's an offsite, all you do is wait for that offsite until you are in. Once you are done, THEN you can go for the other things of lesser priority. This helps structure your day, while still leaving room for the unexpected/spontaneous things that can happen.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #669 on: February 27, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »
Adding to TravT77's 'commit' comment... I find that it helps to plan ONE big thing per day that you want to do, then go and pursue that until you have it. If it's getting into Hall H, then all you do is pursue getting into Hall H until you are there. If it's an offsite, all you do is wait for that offsite until you are in. Once you are done, THEN you can go for the other things of lesser priority. This helps structure your day, while still leaving room for the unexpected/spontaneous things that can happen.

Yes yes yes THIS THIS.

I usually have a "day thing" and a "night thing" and "maybe if the other things don't work out or I have extra time" things.  Day thing is usually a panel or an off site.  Night thing is usually either a party or line camping for the next day. 

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #670 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »
Yes yes yes THIS THIS.

I usually have a "day thing" and a "night thing" and "maybe if the other things don't work out or I have extra time" things.  Day thing is usually a panel or an off site.  Night thing is usually either a party or line camping for the next day.

AGREED ON ALL POINTS. Also, highly recommend having backup plans on top of backup plans for each day. My first year I thought people were exaggerating when they said to have a Plan B AND a Plan C (and heck, sometimes a Plan D) as well, but they were not wrong. Good planning and extensive prep can help ensure you get in to see your big goal each day, but make sure you have alternatives lined up in the event it doesn't work out so you never feel like your day was a bust. There's too much amazing stuff going on at SDCC to end up feeling like you missed out just because you didn't get in to that one thing.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #671 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
One additional suggestion is sometimes it is nice to just walk the floor like Cain in Kung Fu and get into adventures.

Just exploring can lead to stumbling across something that a person might have not thought otherwise to look for.

For planning, make sure you plan for food, hydration, and sleep.  I've known lots of people who have pushed themselves too hard and didn't have as much fun because they didn't feel well.  ...Or broke their foot because they were tired and tripped.  I've known 2 of those.  :)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2019, 10:44:09 PM »
Speaking of feet, do not what I did at my first SDCC way back in the day... wear flip flops. My excuse was, I didn't know the scale of SDCC (it was much smaller back then, but still bigger than anything I'd ever experienced), and I had no idea how much walking I'd be doing. Ended up with bloody feet at the end of the day. Now, not only do I wear comfortable shoes, but also padded running socks. Even then, I'd still end up with sore feet on some days.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #673 on: February 28, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Speaking of feet, do not what I did at my first SDCC way back in the day... wear flip flops. My excuse was, I didn't know the scale of SDCC (it was much smaller back then, but still bigger than anything I'd ever experienced), and I had no idea how much walking I'd be doing. Ended up with bloody feet at the end of the day. Now, not only do I wear comfortable shoes, but also padded running socks. Even then, I'd still end up with sore feet on some days.

Yup, stubbed/stepped on toes are bad.

I actually wear hiking boots with super soft cushions.  If they work on hills, the flat floor is easy.

I recommend elevating your feet when you get home to help with swelling.  I've known a few people who had problems with that.

Offline Carlz

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #674 on: March 01, 2019, 03:04:22 AM »
I could easily wear flip flops to walk around all day, but I wouldn't wear them for SDCC as I would be worried about having my feet stomped on with so many people everywhere.