Author Topic: The frequent complaints of the badge sale process  (Read 1448 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
The frequent complaints of the badge sale process
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
I didn't see too many move to Vegas complaints this year.  The complaints this year seemed to center around how people in returning reg have an unfair advanta.  Funny enough, some people also think CCI has an algorithm that puts multiyear attendees at a disadvantage. Some people were also complaining about buying groups being unfair. 

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: The frequent complaints of the badge sale process
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »
I think a couple things are at play:

1) People are realizing no matter how big the convention, there will always be more demand than space. There was one estimate that 900k people were trying to get badges. So you would need a convention center SEVEN times the size of San Diego Convention Center to house everyone.

2) This year, it seemed they allocated less to Returning Attendees than to Open Registration. This was the first year since I've been tracking (2016-now) that every day sold out faster during Returning than in Open. Usually, Open goes much faster. As an example, in 2016, everything was gone by 10:12 in Returning, and 9:56 in Open. but for 2019, everything was gone by 9:52 in Returning and 10:13 in Open, nearly the complete opposite. There's no reason to think they let more people in simultaneously or people buy badges faster during any particular registration cycle, so all else being equal, it really does seem less badges were allocated to Returning this year.

3) Maybe the loudest complainers actually got badges this year  :D

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:43:36 AM »

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
I managed to get badges this year for the first time, and I still think that the badge process seems to favor returning attendees. How else can you explain someone whose gone every year for the past 10 years (usually managing all 4 days and preview night), and others who have been shut out every year for the past 10 years? I'm STILL shocked that someone in my humble buying group of 5 got in at all. This was our third year trying; and after having read some of the sob stories on Twitter after the sale, I'm grateful we only had to wait 3 years.

That being said, I don't have any suggestions to make anything better... Maybe people just need to stop complaining about the buying groups and join one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:50:23 AM by Virgo911 »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
It really is about buying groups. Now, I'm one of those lucky guys who's gone every single year since 2003, and every year since the lottery. But I can tell you, it's rarely my code that gets in. Right now I can think of only three instances where it was my code used to buy badges and not one of my friends. This year was the first time I got in at all during Open Reg (most years, we have everything settled during Returning Reg). But like I said, I've always been in a group, and that definitely helps. In fact, a couple of years, I've had to rely on other groups being generous enough to use their free slots on us (this is me stalking Twitter during Registration, or knowing people who had their own groups separate from us).

Basically, if you're going solo, or only in a group of 2-3, then you really, really need to team up with others or know other groups.

Offline OyaIsMe

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
Honestly it really is just luck of the draw, I don’t think the favoritism to returners is unfair. Last year was my first time trying for a badge for Comic Con, I signed up for an ID in July after watching all the SYFY highlights from the 2017 Con. I did Open Reg as it was my first time ever trying and I got in right after PN sold out to be able to buy a 4 day pass. I also did this without being in a buying group, it was just me with one code on my computer. So it just all has to do with luck. Now this year I wasn’t confident enough to try and rely on luck again, so I joined a buying group here on the forum. They helped me get a 4 day badge, as my code didn’t get in until only Sunday was left, but everyone in my group had been taken care of by then. I really wanted preview night so I logged in for Open Reg to try for myself and to try to help my group out again with the newbies and 2 people who had a computer glitch in return Reg. Lo and behold, I got in while preview night was still available and helped the two group members who didn’t get their badges during returning Reg because of the glitch. It really is just sheer luck and completely random.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »
The 1st time trying for badges... I got in; my daughter and I were on our own. We were so excited! Being the type of person  I am.... started researching and come across this forum (a HUGE help!). We had a blast and decided that we didn't want it to be a one time thing. So, we joined a buying group and have managed to get badges for the past 4 years! We are about half and half with our codes getting picked or getting in via a group member. This year was a real nail biter, super stoked to be going to the 50th anniversary!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
I noticed far fewer complains this year too. In particular, I don't think I even saw any why-not-priority-for-locals complaints. I think people finally understand the waiting room, and people seem to finally realizing that there's more demand than supply for this thing. I also suspect that they made fewer badges available in pre-reg this year, though I don't have any way to know for sure.

Also, this may not be as big of a factor, but at least among those I know -- interest in CCI has dropped after the SLCC lawsuit (as well as the other ones they've gone after). The mood has shifted from SDCC being on everyone's bucket list, to take it or leave it (among people who had never been).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:53:45 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15