Author Topic: Rogue One ***Spoilers***  (Read 7690 times)

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
Re: Rogue One ***Spoilers***
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
I'm at work so will try to make this brief(ish).

I really enjoyed Rogue One. From the K-2S0's humor(bless you Alan Tudyk), to the superb acting, to the amazing visuals, the inclusion of Vader's "Sith Fortress of Solitude", and most of all the incredibly bold move to kill basically everyone.

It wasn't perfect (nothing is). I did love that they had Tarkin and Leia in it. Yes, the technology still needs work, but for me, and a lot of people I know it was a significant inclusion.

Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus really did get the shortest end of the stick character development wise. I want to know more about the Jedi temple and their role as guardians.

Speaking of character development, sort of feel like we just didn't get to know Cassian or Jyn all that well either.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seemed like Saw Gerrera originally had a larger role.

I actually liked that they showed the "darker side" of the Rebellion. Of course, Cassian killed the informant; he would have been stupid not to. How much info could the Empire have gleaned from him otherwise? 

And I really liked that there was a splinter radical faction. This is something that typically happens in revolutions and rebellions. I'm happy to cite historical examples.

Overall I did really enjoy this film a lot. I don't personally get the hate for TFA, which I loved, but to each their own.

Seen R1 twice, can't wait to see it again!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:20:08 AM by LibertyRoxx »
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Finally got to see it last night.  I love it.  Was it perfect?  No, but for me it hit all the right notes I expected and wanted.  It was a good balance of presenting new stuff while paying homage to the familiar.  It was a little darker tone, so I too wondered how it plays to younger kids, but I'm sure they'll enjoy the action sequences.  Yeah, the CGI versions of Mon Mothma, Tarkin and Leia weren't perfect, but that was just a mild distraction over all the good stuff.  I loved the character of Jyn Erso, but understood going in this was probably going to be a one-shot appearance.  As previously stated, this just adds to the weight of ANH.  I'll probably see it a second time, but am already anxious to see the next chapter in 2017.

Mon Mothma wasn't CGI  ;)

Apparently, Saw Gerrera's faction is called the Partisans (sounds like something out of TWD). 

At this point last year, I had already seen TFA 3 times...this year, I'm still sitting on one viewing of Rogue One despite having a theater just 3 blocks away.   Maybe I am just tired from having bought so much merch for this film in the months and weeks leading up.   Those Walmart exclusive Scarif Troopers weren't too easy to track down so to see them not featured so much is a bit deflating, I suppose? 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:49:09 PM »

Offline bexbaby

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
I loved it! You know you're a nerd when you shed a tear when a droid dies RIP K2SO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gossamer

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
Just saw my 3rd showing and really enjoyed the story. I thought the script was tight and the story moved at a good pace. Seeing again I was able to pay more attention the amount of detail. The only editing issue I saw was when Jyn was first boarding the ship headed to Jedah she was sporting her gun belt and blaster in holster. After she boarding the belt and blaster was missing and she later pulled the blaster out of a bag. I love the tragic ending to lead into A New Hope story. Also it was interesting to see a glimpse of the seedier side of the Rebels.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 09:10:15 PM »
I liked it.  I did want more character development and thought "Well, we'll get more in the sequel".  Then I hit the end of the movie and thought "Well, so much for that idea.". :)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
I loved R1. I didn't have the problem with the CGI that many people have and I thought the Tarkin CGI was damn good. My wife didn't even know it was CGI and that Peter Cushing, the original Tarkin, had been dead for ages. After the movie I was talking about how amazing that was and she was all, Whaaaaaaaat!?!?!?

I too loved that they showed that the rebellion wasn't always so cohesive. That's real and how it should be....and I'm guessing it's the events of R1 that did bring everyone together. I found the movie to possibly be my favorite in the entire franchise. It's just a great film and it really set up the stakes for ANH in a way that we never really got before.

The film exceeded all my expectations and blew them out of the water. It's the finest and most complete film in the franchise, imo.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »
Saw it again and it held up, think we actually enjoyed it a bit more.

A group of us went to see R1 on Saturday. I saw the first SW movies on their first runs many moons ago.  Although I experienced massive dissapointment in TFA, I went in to the theater hopeful. I was sooooo happy! I really enjoyed the Star Wars 'feel' of the movie. For me, it was certainly a darker film--it HAD to be...and yes, I shed a few tears. The theatre was packed to the gills.  I could hear voices of children, and I have to wonder a bit how they fared.  I am sure some explanations were needed.  And yes...Darth Vader's last scene caused me to hold my breath...yikes!  Now I REALLY don't like this guy.  I am going to see R1 again for sure.

The last Vader scene STILL had me tense, this was ridiculous of me the first time since you know the plans are going to get away, but for me to still feel it watching it for the second time ... a job well done by the filmmakers.

Weird question, did Vader seem shorter somehow? Couldn't shake that feeling. And am still not sure how I feel about Vader making a pun.

Overall, really appreciate how they both widened the universe and also found room within the original story, without going into Tag and Bink territory. K-2SO still my favorite new character.

Low spot for me was Krennic, just doesn't work for me as a villain. Had the same issue with Hux in TFA. Also, and this is a very minor criticism, the amount of characters that were "Halloranned" at the end bugged me. (Coining this word in honor of the guy from The Shining who heroically shows up to help at the end and promptly dies, but conveniently delivers the snowcat that Wendy and Danny use to escape.)  Just too many times where a character does the one thing they need to do for the plans to get out, and then gets it.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
!!!

The Mission Comes Home: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Arrives Soon on Digital HD and Blu-Ray

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
 8)

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is at the top of the pack for this year's Saturn Awards, with the film bringing in 11 nominations.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »
Starts in one minute!

Ask #RogueOne director Gareth Edwards anything on @reddit. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
Rogue One Revelations Week begins  >:D

Rogue One alternate ending revealed: A lifesaving escape

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »
Rogue One Revelations Week begins  >:D

Rogue One alternate ending revealed: A lifesaving escape

I really would have liked a Rogue Two.  :)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »

Join us later for a live Q&A with the man who brought K-2SO to life, @AlanTudyk. #RogueOne #AskAlanTudyk

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »

Rogue One: A Tatooine Story

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »
;D

Watching #rogueone at work. Getting nothing done.