Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Art Show  (Read 2316 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
SDCC 2017 Art Show
« on: April 11, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From Rules & Entry Form (bold - mine):

REMEMBER, EVEN IF YOU GET INTO THE ART SHOW, YOU STILL NEED A MEMBERSHIP TO GET INTO THE CONVENTION PROPER - we can’t get you a membership (a spot in the art show DOES NOT get you a convention membership). If you need a membership, get one AS SOON AS they come available — they go fast.  If you don’t get one initially, check back later — often memberships get turned back in, and they can be purchased before the show.  DO NOT go to a scalper — if you don’t get a membership from an authorized Comic Con source, the pass is probably bogus, and you’ve lost money you won’t get back. 

What is this ^^ referencing, member IDs? Badges? Outdated language from pre-member ID days and/or when badge resales still happened?

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
Re: SDCC 2017 Art Show
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
The SDCC art show has joined the ranks of offsite events and will be in the Manchester Grand Hyatt this year instead of the convention center. People without badges will be able to browse and make purchases for the first time. Be sure to stop by. This was apparently a last minute change by the con. I'm an exhibiting artist and just found out about the move this week.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:27:36 PM by theresamather »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:33:59 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
The SDCC art show has joined the ranks of offsite events and will be in the Manchester Grand Hyatt this year instead of the convention center. People without badges will be able to browse and make purchases for the first time. Be sure to stop by. This was apparently a last minute change by the con. I'm an exhibiting artist and just found out this week.

Congrats on being an exhibiting artist again, Theresa! I'm glad to see you back this year!

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
I have always done the art show, but I let my booth in the exhibit hall go last year.  No regrets. :)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
I have always done the art show, but I let my booth in the exhibit hall go last year.  No regrets. :)

Ah, okay. I was confused. I recalled you saying that you weren't exhibiting any longer. But I'm glad you are still attending.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:10:11 AM »
The SDCC art show has joined the ranks of offsite events and will be in the Manchester Grand Hyatt this year instead of the convention center. People without badges will be able to browse and make purchases for the first time. Be sure to stop by. This was apparently a last minute change by the con. I'm an exhibiting artist and just found out about the move this week.

Being able to go the the art show without having a badge is really good news-- for the artists and for potential patrons.  Having the show at the Manchester Grand Hyatt will, hopefully give a bit more room and encourage more browsing.  I always try to buy at least one piece of original art.  When it has been in the Sails area, I may be hurrying through to get to a panel.  This way, I will make special time just for that.  Thanks for the news [member=1094]theresamather[/member]
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »
Ah, okay. I was confused. I recalled you saying that you weren't exhibiting any longer. But I'm glad you are still attending.

I did let my booth go, (at Wondercon as well as SDCC,) but I still do the art show at SDCC and will be attending. I'm still doing booths at smaller events (as well as mailing in to a whole lot of science fiction convention art shows), but the cost of booths, hotels, etc. and the long hours at the big events mean that even though I was grossing a lot more than at the little events, I netted less. So.... less work, easier set up and tear down, and less expense won out. ;)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »
I did let my booth go, (at Wondercon as well as SDCC,) but I still do the art show at SDCC and will be attending. I'm still doing booths at smaller events (as well as mailing in to a whole lot of science fiction convention art shows), but the cost of booths, hotels, etc. and the long hours at the big events mean that even though I was grossing a lot more than at the little events, I netted less. So.... less work, easier set up and tear down, and less expense won out. ;)

It does sound like you've found a good mix for you! My in-laws used to make their living doing art shows, and I have seen the incredible amount of work they have to go through to earn a living that way. When they got older, it was physically too difficult on them, so now they run an art gallery. I think they prefer staying in one place and not having to do all of the set up/tear down!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »

Do you like this change; wondering what exhibiting artists think of moving away from the Convention Center/show proper.  I suspect being open to potentially more customers is a good thing, but I wonder how many previous customers were convention-goers who just happened upon the art show: maybe it'll be a wash? Was the art show previously still in Sails or had they moved it?  I used to LOVE wondering around the art show but haven't the last several years for whatever reason.  This change is a good reminder to me that I need to check out the art show this year!

Offline sheilaac717

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
The Comic-Con Art Show moves to the Manchester Grand Hyatt in Grand Ballroom C on the lobby level of the hotel.

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
How did the Art Show fare at the Hyatt?  I missed having it in the Convention Center.  :(

The Gossamer

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
I went there first day at opening. Slightly busy then drop off of people. It was a walk to get to and back to my car under the Center.
Pros: way more room to browse and plenty of extra space for more art.
Cons: too far from Center and found the room stuffy/warm.
I did purchase some artwork!

Speaking to the head of the art show the reason they moved was the Hyatt complained about not enough of their hotel space was being used by CCI.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »
I have to say that I missed having the art show in the Sails Pavilion.  I walked through there so many times and automatically looked for it.  I just could not do the trek all the way over to the Hyatt at the times that I thought about the art show.  I, too, wonder how it went for the artists.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia