Author Topic: Saving spots in line?  (Read 3896 times)

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
Re: Saving spots in line?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 06:34:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So.... 1 person holds for 5, totaling 6 ppl altogether? Is this correct?

I believe it's widely considered that 1 person holds the line for 5 people total.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 07:37:45 AM »
So.... 1 person holds for 5, totaling 6 ppl altogether? Is this correct?

There are people who go with that interpretation, but the more common interpretation is 1 person in line for 5 people.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 11:46:30 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
So, this is our first time going to SDCC and I've joined a group from FoCC for the Hall H line on Saturday. I was under the impression that it was an acceptable practice. I would hate to be one of "those guys"!  The group leader says they typically leave 4-5 in line with each holding the allotted 5 spots per "policy".

After reading this thread I'm having second thoughts :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's acceptable, and widely in play.  People take shifts (I'm in a group that's generally 4 people at a time in multi-hour shifts).  Nowadays groups are the only sane way, IMO, to do Hall H.  This is my first year in a 'formal' (ish) group: since Hall H became a wide-spread "camp out overnight" thing the last five or six years, I've been waiting in line for easily 25-30 hours with my teen son, w/some years leaving after wristbands and coming back first thing in the morning.  It's so draining, and a waste of a full day of Comic-Con!  This year I'll be in line about 6 hours total with my two shifts and I'm almost literally giddy at the thought of actually being able to do stuff on Friday again!

It is what it is: why fight the system when everyone else is (and playing by the rules).  I've very rarely heard anyone complain; and I've DEFINITELY been in situations over the years when Friday night roles around and a dozen people I've never seen before role in less than an hour before wristbands are being handed out.  I wouldn't worry about it
I agree with this interpretation. However there is a contingent who believes that 1 person in line can hold for themselves AND 5 others. I don't think this is the case, but you may find some people in line with a 1:6 ratio instead of a 1:5. It is unknown how security might view this.
Lol; I'm pretty sure security doesn't really give a $h#! in my experience!  It's more a minority of people who get upset, and that's likely due to lack of communication from the group.  In my experience, as long as it's obvious that tons of people never waited in line and just hopped in w/a bud last second, there's not a huge problem.  Modern SD Comic-Con...

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
I believe it's widely considered that 1 person holds the line for 5 people total.

The writing clearly states a 1:6 ratio by stating " they may return to meet you in the same spot before 7:30 AM" and "Additional people beyond those 5"

"You may hold a place for no more than 5 wristband holders in line overnight, and they may return to meet you in the same spot before 7:30 AM as long as they have the correct color wristband for your section. Additional people beyond those 5 will be asked to rejoin at the end of the wristbanded line."

At the end of the day a debate with security would result in all 6 people staying in line.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:56:04 PM by NCDS »
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »
If you can't beat them join them... I mean a line group that is.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »
If you can't beat them join them... I mean a line group that is.
Yeah; I finally did it this year.  I'm looking forward to having the majority of my Friday being free to do stuff that I've paid for via buying a Comic-Con badge (panels, exhibit hall, etc).  Obviously CCI seems to be supporting line groups as long as everything is fairly copacetic and 'fair.'  I'd be curious to see a ratio of people who are in a group vs people who are flying solo.  I've done the solo thing (mostly) the last four years and I'm hyped to see what life is like in a group.