Author Topic: Constructive suggestions for lines.... Hall H, Sails' Exclusives & Autographing  (Read 17585 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Where were you if I may ask? This year they did things so different. It used to be upstairs at the sails was let in first. And those lines are so tightly controlled that people can't cut there. (Aside from the people who join their friends/party later) Now people are coming in from the other lines at the same time? That really screwed a few people I know who  camped the everything line. So I'm curious at what time they let the other entry points in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I wrote about yesterday was outside of D. I went there because the day before, Saturday, I was in the everything else line. Once I made it inside I asked where I go to get into the exhibit. They made me take the up escalator and then held me up there. I asked how I could get down to the exhibits and was told that I would have to wait in front of the rope for the down escalator. I did. By the time I got down there, the exhibit was already jammed full of people. I was one of the first people in from where they held us upstairs. Was there another way down from the sails pavillion? I was standing right outside it when the security woman I asked told me to wait at the rope for the down escalator.

Offline ahbbb

• Room 6BCF
    • autograph hounds blah blah blog
  • Liked: 46
SDDC needs to reduce the number of badges. Reduce the badge by 25 or 30 percent. That will reduce the crowds and lines.

While the venders can sell their product on the expo floor, have the customers pick up done at a different location.
This way people are not knocking people over as they rush outside.

Eliminate ALL strollers. I trip on them all of the time. I worry about falling on a child. They cause lines to be extra wide and clog the traffic lanes.

A Brave Man Likes to Feel the Weather on his Face
A Wise Man Knows When to Get Out of the Rain

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
Eh, the strollers let mothers come to comic con, that would otherwise be stuck at home.

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
I would prefer online lottery for hall h attendance. I think eventually, this is what will happen. There's a similar process for signing on to popular Gencon events.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
I would prefer online lottery for hall h attendance. I think eventually, this is what will happen. There's a similar process for signing on to popular Gencon events.

I don't think an online lottery works. The barrier to join the lottery is too low and thus many people would  throw their hat in to see if they can win just in case. As has been shown by the numerous RSVP only events, people don't follow through and show up. Then those events are left scrambling for people to fill seats. If people have to wait overnight for a wristband, chances are they will show up. One way to deal with an online lottery is to have a penalty for not showing up. Then people will think twice if they aren't before going for the lottery. It could be something like you lose your priority status to get tickets next year. It could be a $100 reservation deposit. You show up, you get your deposit back. You don't and you lose. Either way, people will still camp out overnight for standby. Just like for Conan.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
If there was some way to rope off the hall h line better it may help with the cutting/large groups. I know since it wraps around all around the convention center and the marina that this would be rather difficult but maybe they could set up a better designated area. Also maybe not allow tents. Was sure there was a rule for no tents though and people seem to not listen anyways. They just need stricter measures.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
How bout offering a streaming service that's only available at the con (some very tight geolocation technology perhaps) and to badge holders where the footage can also be shown.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
How bout offering a streaming service that's only available at the con (some very tight geolocation technology perhaps) and to badge holders where the footage can also be shown.

That's not going to help anything. People want in the room to see the celebs in person not on a screen.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
A stamp on your hand before entering sails to prove that you are entering the autograph lines by official, supervised means. Ideally that means that they would notice if anyone joined before the front of the EE line

While I don't know the technology, it might be able to use RFID tagging.
If everyone who cam through the front door was tagged as legit, regardless of which line they were going for. Then at then end of each line (autograph or exclusive) a trained employee was checking to make sure that person entered through the front door.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:13:24 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
]
If there was some way to rope off the hall h line better it may help with the cutting/large groups. I know since it wraps around all around the convention center and the marina that this would be rather difficult but maybe they could set up a better designated area. Also maybe not allow tents. Was sure there was a rule for no tents though and people seem to not listen anyways. They just need stricter measures.

This is one of the areas that interests me

The group I belong to is very strict concerning the 1 to 5 ratio. We also have seen other groups swell beyond out gusesstimations of what their numbers should be. We can not monitor the other groups since no one person was monitoring the other groups for the entire line camp.

I suspect a lot of people are developing ideas. It in essence I think the plane will have to include better monitoring of group during set up of the lines AND the follow through of checking before entering hall H.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
What if they purchased 130,000 light up coasters like they have at restaurants?  :)

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
]
This is one of the areas that interests me

The group I belong to is very strict concerning the 1 to 5 ratio. We also have seen other groups swell beyond out gusesstimations of what their numbers should be. We can not monitor the other groups since no one person was monitoring the other groups for the entire line camp.

I suspect a lot of people are developing ideas. It in essence I think the plane will have to include better monitoring of group during set up of the lines AND the follow through of checking before entering hall H.

I had an idea for signs up for hall h line up groups online with your member ID for whatever day you're camping out. Security and/or staff walks around and randomly scans all the badges in line to make sure the 1 to 5 ratio is maintained. If there isn't enough people in the group to maintain the 1 to 5 ratio the entire group is DQed from entering hall h in the morning and will show up as invalid on future scans for that day they are camping out for. This will also help cut down on line cutters as badges will pop invalid as they will pop red when being checked as they had not been there for previous checks. If it's just a single person lining up they will have to be able to be in line for all checks or join a group near them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:50:03 PM by Carlo »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
I like the idea of a quick hand stamp to prove you went through the front first before getting in the ticket pull lines. As long as they actually enforce the stamp that would keep people from jumping in from the marina. Or have that somehow tied into the rfid scan in.

Agreed, something needs to be done to authenticate that you came in through the front doors. Our group was VERY close to the front of the line a couple of days and still many queues were packed full by the time we got in, which means it's more than just people sneaking in from marina once the line gets down there. I think exhibitors are still swapping badges and sending people up to Sails early.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Boukenred

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
They can just get a hologram sticker on to the wristband for Hall-H. As good as anyone who can counterfeit a wristband may be, they're not able to create a hologram sticker right on the spot.

This way there's no need to worry about counterfeit wristband.
Twitter/Instagram: @Boukenred

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
I don't think an online lottery works. The barrier to join the lottery is too low and thus many people would  throw their hat in to see if they can win just in case. As has been shown by the numerous RSVP only events, people don't follow through and show up. Then those events are left scrambling for people to fill seats. If people have to wait overnight for a wristband, chances are they will show up. One way to deal with an online lottery is to have a penalty for not showing up. Then people will think twice if they aren't before going for the lottery. It could be something like you lose your priority status to get tickets next year. It could be a $100 reservation deposit. You show up, you get your deposit back. You don't and you lose. Either way, people will still camp out overnight for standby. Just like for Conan.

They could just have a waitlist or open it up to public to those who don't show. Similar in idea to what they do for the Conan tickets.