Author Topic: FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention: September 6-8, 2018  (Read 2719 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention: September 6-8, 2018
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SALT LAKE CITY–(BUSINESS WIRE)–At a press conference at the Utah State Capitol, FanX® Salt Lake Comic Convention™ (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) announced celebrity guests and two new programs for the 2018 convention on September 6-8, 2018.

New guests for FanX 2018 include Tom Welling, Chuck Norris, Tricia Helfer, John Wesley Shipp and the cast of RWBY, including Lindsay Jones, Arryn Zech, Kara Eberle and Vic Mignogna.

Norris is an actor, producer, author and martial artist. He’s starred in a number of action movies, including Way of the Dragon, Bruce Lee, Missing in Action and The Delta Force. Norris also starred in the TV series Walker Texas Ranger. In addition to acting, he is a New York Times best-selling author, and has become a cult hero for the Chuck Norris Facts that highlight fictional exploits and blows them out of proportion.

Tom Welling is best known for playing Clark Kent on the WB hit series Smallville and Marcus Pierce in Fox’s Lucifer. On the big screen he’s starred in Cheaper by the Dozen and Cheaper by the Dozen 2, and The Fog.

Helfer is a model and actress. She played Cylon Number Six in the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, Evan Smith in the TV series Suits and is now a main cast member for Fox’s TV series Lucifer. She was also the voice of Sarah Kerrigan in the Starcraft 2 trilogy.

Shipp plays Barry Allen’s father and Garrick/Flash on the CW’s The Flash. Prior to this role, he played Barry Allen in CBS’s The Flash from 1990-1991. In addition to his roles as The Flash, he’s appeared in Dawson’s Creek, Guiding Light and As the World Turns.

RWBY is an anime web series set in the fictional world of Remnant, where youth train to become Huntsmen and Huntresses to protect their world from the creatures of Grimm. In the series, Jones voices the character of Ruby Rose, Zech voices the character of Blake Belladonna, Eberle voices the character of Weiss Schnee and Mignogna voices the character of Qrow Branwen.

“We say this all the time, but this year will be our biggest and most exciting convention,” said Dan Farr, Founder and Producer of FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention. “The celebrity guests we announced today and since November are incredible, and we have many more guests to come. We’ve built such a strong reputation that celebrities are calling us and asking if they can come to FanX, and so many that have been here really want to come back. We’ve worked hard to build this reputation and recognize that we couldn’t have done it without our incredible fans.”

New to FanX 2018 is the League of Utah Volunteers (LUV). LUV was created to unite FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention fans in volunteering and making a difference in the community. Click here to join LUV. The full press release announcing League of Utah Volunteers is also available today.

In addition to LUV, FanX organizers also announced a new program called the FanX® S.T.E.A.M. Competition™. S.T.E.A.M. stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics, and the competition is designed to stimulate students of all ages. The competition is designed to encourage learning and creativity, with a focus on the science, technology, engineering, art and math of science fiction and comic book stories. Beginning next month, Utah students can begin to compete in a variety of competitions centered on these pop culture S.T.E.A.M. topics. Finalists will be judged at a panel at FanX in September and winners will be selected from each category. Incredible prizes will be available for the winners. For more information or to compete, click here.

“I’m excited about FanX 2018 because there is already so much momentum this year, leaving no doubt this one will really be something special,” said Bryan Brandenburg, FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention Co-Founder, and Chief Marketing Officer. “The combination of the celebrities, comic creators and artists, authors and panels attending this year, and the new additions like LUV and S.T.E.A.M. will help make 2018 an amazing event that will be even more difficult to beat next year.”

To date, FanX organizers have announced a number of big name celebrities and fan favorites, including Evangeline Lilly, Tim Curry, Karl Urban, Jennifer Morrison, Jason David Frank, Paige O’Hara and Robby Benson, Paul Reubens, Gaten Matarazzo, Amy Jo Johnson, Mark Sheppard, Barry Bostwick and author Brandon Sanderson.

Lilly has starred in a number of Hollywood hits, including Ant-Man, The Hobbit trilogy, The Hurt Locker and Real Steel. She currently is Marvel’s only leading lady with her character in the title of the movie. She also played the lead role in the TV series Lost. Later this Summer she’ll star in Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp. In 2013 she published her first book, The Squickerwonkers, a graphic novel about a young girl that joins a group of outcasts that all have very particular vices.

Curry has starred in a number of fan-favorite roles, most memorably as a villain in movies such as The Hunt For Red October, The Three Musketeers, and Muppet Treasure Island. He’s best known for his role as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show and for his voice work in The Wild Thornberrys and Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Most recently, Urban starred as Skurge in Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok. He’s also starred in some of the biggest blockbusters, including Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek Beyond, The Bourne Supremacy, The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the TV series Xena: Warrior Princess.

FanX organizers expect to have almost 40 film/TV celebrity guests, over 100 artists, authors and panelists and will continue making guest announcements weekly leading up to the convention in September. The convention will include hundreds of hours of panel programming and over 400 vendors filling the entire Salt Palace Convention Center. Expected attendance is more than 100,000 over three days.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:29:33 PM by AzT »

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
Re: FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention: September 6-8, 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »
Looks like SLCC/FanX is in another pickle   :o

A popular Utah author criticized FanX’s response to harassment complaints. It told her to ‘sit this one out’ and published her private email.

Best-selling author Shannon Hale and other writers, troubled by how FanX organizers have reacted to allegations that a recurring guest repeatedly touched a female author without her consent, have been considering whether to appear at the convention in September. On Monday, Hale wrote to co-founder Bryan Brandenburg about her continuing doubts.

Brandenburg responded in part: “Maybe it is best that you sit this one out and then wait to hear how it went. I don’t think there is anything we can say to convince you to come and quite frankly I’m not willing to try. I know in my heart that we take this seriously and I don’t think you get it. I have four daughters and I’ve been sensitive to these issues for decades, long before it became trendy with #metoo.”

Hale took a screenshot of the reply and posted it to Twitter, where it drew dozens of furious responses — further fueling debate over the convention’s attempts to develop and promote a new anti-harassment policy while defending what Brandenburg describes as a fun environment of touch.

“John Barrowman will gladly hold your buttocks in your Photo Op. … Stephen Amell will hug you tight at his signing booth,” he assured fans on Facebook last week while sharing the new policy.

By changing the subject to touch explicitly requested by fans, Hale said, FanX organizers are blurring the conversation about consent and minimizing women’s experiences of harassment. FanX should work on building a culture that gives guests confidence that harassment is not tolerated — but it’s doing the opposite, she said.

On Monday, FanX’s official account tweeted an image of the email Hale had sent to them, including her private email address. It later deleted the post.

“When a woman talks to them privately about concerns about sexual harassment, their response is to publicly harass and doxx her,” Hale told The Salt Lake Tribune.

That shows a pattern of behavior, she said.

FanX last week released a copy of a woman’s report that she was harassed by author Richard Paul Evans at September’s convention without notifying her. Brandenburg said they did not notify her that her complaint would be distributed because they had redacted her name and other identifying information.

Brandenburg apologized on his personal Facebook page Monday night: “I made multiple mistakes in handling the report of harassment at our event. I was insensitive to people that were communicating to me about this issue. ... I wish I could take it back but I can’t. I was wrong, I made more than one mistake, and it was a very painful lesson.”

He also apologized in a thread on FanX’s Twitter account, saying: “After today’s events, I admit that I am not fully aware or educated about the importance of the #metoo movement, and this is something I am actively working to change. I need to improve on listening and making people feel validated.”

Katina Sawyer, a psychology professor at Villanova University who specializes in workplace issues, said that harassment policies should set a tone from the top that bad behaviors are not tolerated.

But they’re only as good as how well they’re enforced, and to the extent that the organization sends signals that preventing harassment is something it actually values.

“It doesn’t sound like there’s a lot of collaborative problem-solving going on here, but more like, ’ Hey, we heard this complaint, we want to minimize the damage to us,” Sawyer said.

Evans says he is “repulsed” by accusations made against him. His assistant Diane Glad also denies them, saying she is always with Evans when he is in public settings — including the 2017 FanX event — and in more than nine years has not seen him “involved in any act that warranted a complaint. Nor has a complaint ever been made, outside of this group of women at the Utah Comic Con.”

FanX has said it began investigating the complaint against Evans in October 2017, the day after receiving the woman’s written account.

She wrote that Evans “touched me several times and went so far as to kiss my cheek. I had never met him before. ... but he made me very uncomfortable and even said, ‘You’re so pretty’ after he touched me, as though he couldn’t help himself.”

After the incident, she spoke with the workers at the signing booth, who told her “he’s like that,” she wrote. Other author attendees told her they kept their distance from him for that reason, she added.

“He has a reputation and no one warned me, which is why I feel the need to speak up,” she wrote.

On Monday, Evans wrote that her complaint was not true. “This false reporting makes me sound creepy,” he said. “I told her she was pretty, kindly, as I said, ‘You’re pretty, that’s not going to hurt sales.’ I was trying to make her feel good. Again, I was congratulating her and I was in public. I have a witness to the event. I also remember her coming back with one of my books to get it autographed.”

Another Utah author told The Tribune that she had an encounter with Evans at the convention’s 2013 event that she considers harassment. It was unpleasant enough that the author, who asked not to be identified, has not returned as a speaker, though she’s been invited several times.

She and Evans were both there to sign books. Though they had just been introduced, Evans kept touching her, she said.

She moved her body away from him, she said, but ”he wouldn’t stop coming over and rubbing my arm. It made me really uncomfortable, but I was trying to do my job and not let on to the fans who were there for me that it was fazing me.”

Glad, who said she was with Evans at the 2013 event, said: ”Not only is this claim false, it is impossible. Richard always has massive lines and wouldn’t have the time or even the opportunity to ‘walk over and rub some woman’s arm, while she tried to get away.’ Richard is never alone. At the 2013 event he signed for more than an hour and had five assistants helping him with crowds.”

The allegation is “bizarre,“ Evans said. ”It sounds like collusion and the fact that you are posting unvalidated allegations by anonymous sources is highly unethical.“

The Tribune generally does not name alleged victims of sexual harassment. While the author did not report Evans to FanX, she said she did tell her husband. He told The Tribune he remembers her saying when she got home that she’d had an experience with Evans that made her feel uncomfortable, and describing that he kept touching her arm.

Author Robison Wells said she told him about the experience in February this year, before the other woman’s 2017 account had become public.

There wasn’t a clear channel for reporting the incident, the author said. The conduct didn’t warrant a call to police, she said, but was “something I would take to HR if we were in a workplace.”

That’s why having and enforcing a strong harassment policy is important, Hale said. For many authors, appearing at FanX is part of the job — a time to meet fans, sell books and promote their books to an audience of thousands. But its actions show that it’s not a safe place, she said.

Recent comments by FanX co-founder Dan Farr seem to be designed to demean the initial accuser and dismiss Evans’ 2017 interaction with her as nothing more than “good-intentioned hugging,” Hale said.

Farr previously told The Tribune that Evans “is very huggy and demonstrative,” and added that “giving that warm reception to fans is very positive.”

“To me, that was sending a signal to abusers that ‘You’ll get a pass here,’ and to victims, that if you speak up, we’re not going to take you seriously,” Hale said.

FanX said it concluded its investigation into Evans and other undisclosed guests last week, and found that while law enforcement did not need to be involved, “the behavior that we discovered warranted warnings to the accused. … Their behavior was offensive, unwelcome and unacceptable to the recipient and they needed to change it. The change was not negotiable. It was a requirement for them to participate further in our events.”

Brandenburg wrote that one guest accused of harassment “chose not to come back.” That appears to refer to Evans.

Reached via email last Friday, Evans said, “I think Bryan described the situation accurately and is proceeding correctly.”

Hale said she will not be returning to FanX, set for Sept. 6-8 at the Salt Palace Convention Center, and that she has heard from multiple other Utah authors who won’t be. Thriller writer Brendan Reichs posted on Twitter that he has withdrawn his previously announced appearance, and fantasy author Jessica Day George also said she will not be attending until FanX shows it has improved. Young-adult authors Dan Wells and Gwenda Bond have also posted that they will not be attending.

FanX’s recently updated harassment policy, Brandenburg wrote, “is constructed around the premise, ask first before hugging, touching and other physical behavior. Don’t make sexually suggestive remarks. Don’t hug without asking. Don’t take pictures with a Cosplayer without asking. Be a decent human being. Respect. Personal. Bubbles.”

Wells, who spearheaded an effort by his fellow Utah authors to spur FanX into upgrading its harassment policy, said he was “very frustrated” by Brandenburg’s focus on consensual fan interactions.

“The behavior that was found offensive — that, indeed, made it harassment — was that the behavior was unwelcome and unwanted,” Wells said in an email. Equating “a hug that is welcomed as a friendly photo op” with unwanted touching “is very disrespectful to the victims.”

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:25:35 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:51:22 PM »
The people who run that Con are so slimey

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:47 AM »
Several guests have canceled their appearance there...mainly authors (I think) and two people from RWBY. I wonder if more (like high profile ones) may pull out...

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:54:40 PM »

After sexual-harassment controversy, FanX says its founders are stepping back and it will donate to Time’s Up

With authors, celebrities and a major publishing house saying they will pull out of FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention over its insensitive response to sexual-harassment accusations, organizers say they will donate an unspecified amount to the Time’s Up campaign and reduce the public role of co-founders Bryan Brandenburg and Dan Farr.

Brandenburg set off a firestorm on social media this week by posting about best-selling Utah author Shannon Hale, who was questioning FanX’s handling of a sexual-harassment accusation against Utah author Richard Paul Evans.

Without contacting Hale, FanX social media manager Manda Bull posted Tuesday that the convention was inviting her to join a new committee to improve its recently revised anti-harassment policy. The author said Wednesday she’s not interested.

“They are not people I trust, and people I would want to associate with,” Hale told The Salt Lake Tribune.

“I do hope they find a diverse group to take part,” she said. “I hope they find a lot of women, and people of color, and people from the LGBTQ community. There’s always a danger that they will be in an echo chamber.”

Bull, who said she is becoming the convention’s communications manager, described the committee as independent but did not elaborate.

Other changes promised in Bull’s post: mandatory harassment training for every FanX employee, including Farr and Brandenburg; extensive harassment training for volunteers; a “Consent Is Key” campaign aimed at convention attendees; and more prominent display of FanX’s revised harassment policy on its website.

The changes and the donation to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund will be made between now and Sept. 6-8, when the convention will run at Salt Lake City’s Salt Palace Convention Center, the statement said. The fund is administered by the National Women’s Law Center to provide attorneys and public-relations help to women who have been sexually harassed. FanX did not commit to a specific amount.

Farr will remain in charge of booking FanX’s celebrity lineup, and Wednesday the event announced former “Doctor Who” star David Tennant would be coming. Brandenburg will continue to work with FanX’s marketing and volunteer teams, according to Bull’s post. Brandenburg “is stepping back from social media,” it said.

Hale had emailed Brandenburg about FanX’s response to a sexual-harassment accusation against Evans.

In response, Brandenburg urged Hale to “sit this one out,” to not attend this September’s convention. He followed that with comments many viewed as sexist and condescending. When Hale posted those comments on Twitter, Brandenburg countered with a tweet that included her private email address. The tweet was later deleted, and Brandenburg posted an apology on Facebook.

The exchange followed weeks of Hale and other authors working behind the scenes to prod FanX to investigate the Evans accusations and improve its anti-harassment rules.

Since Monday’s dust-up, two celebrities booked for FanX — Lindsay Jones and Arryn Zech, voice actors on the popular anime-style web series “RWBY” — have canceled their appearances. Several authors, showing solidarity with Hale, also have said they will skip the convention.

On Tuesday, one of Utah’s biggest publishing houses — Shadow Mountain Publishing, an imprint run by LDS Church-owned Deseret Book — ended its association with FanX.

“We do not now, never have, and never will condone harassment by anyone, toward anyone,” said a statement from the company, first tweeted Tuesday by Utah author Ally Condie and later sent to The Tribune. “We have very strict policies regarding our employees’ and authors’ behavior. We are disheartened by these reports, but are grateful they have come forward. Again, we take all forms of harassment very seriously, and we will not condone it.”

The Shadow Mountain booth long has been an anchor on the FanX vendor floor. The publisher sells copies of its many titles, most notably Brandon Mull’s “Fablehaven” series and Obert Skye’s “Leven Thumps” books. The booth also has been the go-to spot for book signings for nearly every author visiting the convention.

“Any visiting authors coming to the show will have a harder time doing the signings and selling their books,” said Bryan Young, an author and editor-in-chief of the website Big Shiny Robot.

It was the Shadow Mountain booth where, according to a complaint filed with event organizers, Evans harassed a woman at last September’s convention. The woman told FanX in a written account that Evans “touched me several times and went so far as to kiss my cheek. I had never met him before … but he made me very uncomfortable and even said, ‘You’re so pretty’ after he touched me, as though he couldn’t help himself.”

Evans says he is “repulsed” by accusations made against him. “This false reporting makes me sound creepy,” he said. “I told her she was pretty, kindly, as I said, ‘You’re pretty, that’s not going to hurt sales.’ I was trying to make her feel good. Again, I was congratulating her and I was in public.”

Bull’s post reiterated that Evans would not be a guest at September’s convention. “What the future holds for him at our events, I cannot say, that is not my call,” she added.

In an interview that aired Tuesday on KUTV-Channel 2, Evans told reporter Chris Jones that “there is a war on men, and that men — white men in particular — are under attack, oppressed by a changing culture, victims of an extremist feminist agenda.” Evans compared the plight of white men in America to “Jews in Nazi Germany.”

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
For those interested, Photo Ops with #DavidTennant will be available tomorrow, 5/30 at 12pm MST! Direct link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  About Photo Ops: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  #utah #fanx #convention

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »
fanxsaltlake Help us spread the word by tagging a friend who would make a great volunteer in comments for a chance to win a $20 Photo Op Voucher to use for #FanX18!
LAST CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS! There’s still time to be part of Team FanX! Earn exclusive volunteer perks and experience the big event from the inside! Taking applications through League of Utah Volunteers until THIS Saturday, August 4.
fanxsaltlake.com/volunteer
ALREADY SIGNED UP? First: THANK YOU! Second: Make sure you check your inbox (spam and other folders) for emails from [email protected] or [email protected]. These emails contain information that is imperative to participate. Our online volunteer training will begin on Monday, August 6 and our in-person All Hands Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, September 1.
Have questions about volunteering? Email your questions to our Volunteer Manager, Erika at [email protected].
Volunteering is a great way to build your resume while meeting new people and getting involved behind the scenes. Earn exclusive volunteer perks including #FanX18 passes, too! Must be 18 by dates of event (Sept. 6-8).

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »

Meet actress & activist @ChaseMasterson at #FanX18! Known for portraying Leeta on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, plus co-founded the Pop Culture Hero Coalition. Info: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Get your pass: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  #utah #convention

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
And Affleck canceled, presumably because of his return to rehab.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 04:16:10 AM »

“Unfortunately, something has come up that I can’t get out of. We had such a great time last year. I’m going to really miss seeing everyone and all the great costumes. I’m so sorry.” - Dick Van Dyke See your refund options, here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  #FanX18 #dickvandyke

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »

The #FanX18 Cosplay Meet-Ups schedule is now LIVE: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Here is your chance to meet and take professional photos with your fellow cosplayers! All ages are welcome. It is FREE to participate with a valid #FanX18 RFID wristband.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 07:40:48 AM »

To those who were going to meet me at FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention, I regret to inform you that I need to postpone my appearance. First, I'm very sorry I have to cancel! I don't take stuff like this lightly and I'm aware that some fans have gone to a lot of trouble and expense to meet me in Salt Lake City. I have been looking forward to being there for several months! Please know my devotion to my fans is intense and I am sad I won¹t be seeing you in Salt Lake City. This time. I hope to make it next year! Please accept my apology!

Your pal,
Paul Reubens (and Pee-wee Herman)

See your refund options here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login #FanX18

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 07:09:35 PM »

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »
Even while recovering from the dreaded con crud, I attended Salt Lake FanX over the weekend with a friend. It was my 4th convention in 4 weeks (StocktonCon, Santa Clara Toy Expo, DragonCon). My buddy lives in Ogden, UT and supplied free room and board, so I checked out the show and was pleasantly surprised. It's a really good show with a nice, intimate family feel to it. I got to meet original Mighty Morphin Power Ranger, Amy Jo Johnson, had her sign some Funko Pops and fulfilled my adolescent dream in getting a photo with her. I also got to meet Manu Bennett, who was a cool character and Daniel Logan who played young Boba Fett.

My friend and I cosplayed as Morpheus and Agent Smith from the Matrix and we received a great reception! At one point, we couldn't take two steps without people asking for photos. We had a great deal of fun! I just wish this show had a Sunday date, but since it's in Utah... well, you know.