Author Topic: No NerdHQ for SDCC 2018  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
Re: No NerdHQ for SDCC 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know if they've been anywhere else besides when they did NYCC a few years ago? It was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and they just had a merchandise booth on the floor and periodic smiles for a cause during the con there but no panels.

I remember they had a booth at Comikaze a few years ago, but no panels.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
They hosted a celebrity ski event a few years ago. I remember seeing it on TV.

That’s an annual Operation Smile event. They sell sponsorships and The Nerdmachine purchased them for a few years. I don’t think they sponsored this year.

One odd thing is that Zac’s “company” stopped being for profit last year. They no longer sell merchandise and supposedly became non profit or were trying to transition to it. I’m not sure what their legal status is.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:51:58 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
But... Comic-Con has no problem selling out every year, and the offsites only draw more people to town, a lot of whom try for badges. And Comic-Con would really prefer NOT to have overnight lines, they just have no idea how to fix it.

Also, as far as I know, CCI has no agreements whatsoever with the celebrities who attend (except for the few Special Guests, and most of those aren't "celebrities", really). Actors/creators attend because their studios send them as part of their promotional obligations. The studios decide what properties they feel like promoting - and more promotion is almost always good.

I'm not saying CCI had nothing to do with the end of Conival and NerdHQ - but if they did, their reasoning had to have been a lot more complex than just an aversion to competition.

I agree that offsites add a lot to the comic-con experience.  They generate a lot of buzz.  The only thing I heard about this year's SXSW was the West World offsite.  So I see them as a big benefit.

As for overnight lines, I'm not sure that comic-con does want to get rid of them.  As I said before, if I was a studio I wouldn't want them to get rid of them.  For better or worst, those big lines are part of the comic-con mystique.  They are a big part of the buzz.  Just like with people camping out overnight for Black Friday, it makes headlines and thus generates publicity.  For a lot of people that don't go to comic-con, the first thing that pops up into their heads when they hear the word "comic-con" is long lines.  Since those long lines are often what's reported on the news.  As a studio, there's a world of difference in saying that people camped out overnight to get into their panel versus there was no line at all.

It is the studios that sign many of the contracts.  Definitely for the big headliners.  Those A list celebrities are at comic-con because they are promoting a property for the studio.  The conversation I overheard at Conival was between a celebrity and her studio handler.  But there are celebrities that sign for themselves at comic-con.  Since they only have themselves.  Many of the celebrities in sails signing autographs are there on their own.  So my statement was meant to cover everyone, either representing a studio or themselves directly.

It just wasn't NerdHQ and Conival, there were 2 more mini-cons in 2016.  So there were 4 in total. There were none in 2017.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
The easy way for CCI to combat things like NerdHQ and Conival would be through studios. They can pressure the studios for more control of the talent by dictating that they can't promote at both CCI and outside events but if they choose CCI, they can ensure panel space and advertising assistance. From there the studios control where talent can appear through promotion clauses in contracts.  The media range of an SDCC panel promotion will always be wider than a mini-event nearby so it becomes a no brainer. You may get one off celebs who aren't promoting anything currently and willing to show up but it's doubtful you could fill 4 days with these celebs, certainly not if you're a non-profit using pay panels to offset costs and still having money for donation.

That is what I was trying to say.  Clearly I wasn't entirely successful. ;)  Regardless of who signs the contract, a studio or themselves, the end result is the same.

Here's a wrinkle though.  Conival was put on by a studio.  So many of the celebs there were their own celebs.  So most of the time it wasn't just a one off celeb, although there was that too.  It was the entire cast for many properties.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:01:30 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
I think CCI wants to get rid of overnight lines. I think the studios do not, exactly because of the buzz [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] mentioned. It's much better for WB to be able to say thousands of fans camped overnight to see the cast of Justice League than just to say "we had a very well-attended panel in Hall H".

But I also think you're overestimating CCI's power in the CCI/studio relationship. Comic-Con is just a venue, and in the end it's an expensive one for studios to come to, for a limited amount of promotion. There's only 130K attendees, which isn't even really enough to move the box office of a really big blockbuster. Sure, there's the social media and collateral coverage too, but Comic-Con is hardly their only option. I just don't think CCI has the leverage to shut down mini-cons if the studios really wanted them out there.

Which means there had to be more to it than that - like the City of San Diego getting involved, either with permitting or use of public space or requiring fees to the police to cover all the extra security, etc. Or they put that cost on the venues so now the space rentals are even more astronomically expensive.

I just don't think it's as simple as Comic-Con putting their foot down.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »
I think CCI wants to get rid of overnight lines. I think the studios do not, exactly because of the buzz [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] mentioned.

This right here is the important distinction.  CCI has been trying to combat the lines for years.  The wristbands were one attempt, though people still camp out.  I feel like them even creating the Next Day Line was a huge concession to fans because they know we'll be there anyway, but they would probably prefer that doesn't exist at all.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
Which means there had to be more to it than that - like the City of San Diego getting involved, either with permitting or use of public space or requiring fees to the police to cover all the extra security, etc. Or they put that cost on the venues so now the space rentals are even more astronomically expensive.

Could be but I don't see the city of San Diego wanting to shut them down.  There's no reason for them to do that.  From what we hear in the local press, San Diego is very accommodating to events like that.  San Diego the City and San Diegans had to decide whether they wanted to keep comic-con or the Chargers.  We couldn't afford to keep both.  Both the city and San Diegans chose comic-con.  The Chargers left.  In the gaslamp, that extra police presence would be there regardless.  Worst case, NerdHQ could have gone back to it's roots and happened in a bar.  If a garage band can be permitted and afford to play in a bar, so can NerdHQ.  I don't think that San Diego or cost was the reason.  In the past, Zack has been upfront about whether they had the money to put on NerdHQ.  I think it was in 2016 that it looked doubtful until AMD stepped in as their sponsor at the last minute.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 12:57:15 PM »
Have you guys wonder maybe he is too busy doing Shazam and being a movie star instead?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »
Have you guys wonder maybe he is too busy doing Shazam and being a movie star instead?

While that could be part of it, I don't think it's all of it.  I get the vibe from both his social media commentary and the rumors floating around that something OTHER than his schedule is keeping Nerd HQ down.  Additionally, he was there last year for SyFy Live so it absolutely was not his schedule last year.  It seems Nerd HQ was squashed and he went on to host something else instead. Which like good for him! He should get to continue enjoying SDCC even if his baby doesn't get to happen.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
He is also supposed to start shootings Ms. Maisel soon here in NY.

I think the decision may be down to money he has to front for the event. Pricing could be too much and while it is mainly for charity the cash outlay may be too much.

There definitely is more to the story but at the same time I am thankful to have gone and also thankful for the great memories!
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »

I think if that was the case his post would have been something like "Hey Nerds.  Can't make it to SDCC this year.  Maybe next year.  Have a great con!"  It wasn't.  There are many narratives that can fit that post.  Maybe SyFy Live is continuing and he will continue to be the host.  So that conflict prevents him from doing another NerdHQ this year.  I think the most telling thing is that he says that it will probably never happen again in San Diego.  So that implies something more than just a scheduling conflict this year.  I guess we will know in time, since he starts that post by saying that he can't let the details out just yet.  That implies that he will at some point.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:11:25 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »
As I alluded to above, I think it’s very unclear what Zac’s company even IS anymore. He was very upfront about creating a “nerd brand” and that was the impetus behind NerdHQ. They seem to have abandoned those goals.  The website still exists with very modest fan-driven content and no merchandise.

So, I don’t really know what they were trying to do and why they couldn’t do it. I am skeptical it was anything on the level that you all seem to be thinking.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
I recall hearing something about Nerd HQ not being able to host a panel until that show’s panel had already taken place at SDCC. That implies that there were some sensitivity issues to the Aberdeen HQ panel scheduling.

While I will miss Nerd a HQ, I am not surprised by this news. The absence last year was telling.

Offline Javier

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:41 AM »
Its a shame. It was such a great event...for charity non the less. I really enjoyed the more intimate settings for the panels and the opportunity to actually meet and take a picture with a celebrity.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 05:42:44 AM »
NerdHQ was something my son and I looked forward to every year.
So sorry it's not coming back. :(