Author Topic: Everything FEELS like it's being announced late, but IS IT?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
A common trend in many threads on this forum, in SDCC facebook groups, and in my SDCC group chats is that everything seems to be getting announced later this year than normal.  But is it? I just kind of wanted to talk about things that had already happened in previous years, but haven't happened yet this year.  Because I'm getting antsy and I want to talk about something!  Note: This is more just fun complaining. Not actual angst.  I'm antsy that's all lol.

Based on my Facebook history, today is the day I received my badge in 2016.  The con was 2 days later in the month that year than this year, (started on the 21st instead of the 19th).  So I'm already 2 days behind on that personally, but OTHER people have gotten theirs so maybe that's just me.  Seems to be on schedule for a huge chunk of y'all.

Last year the Conan ticket lotto sent out their first waitlist emails on June 23rd, too.  This year is one day earlier than last year.  So that means we'd have the waitlist emails by Friday, if things were on schedule.  But we haven't heard much.  We don't know the Pops (except for the silhouettes) or the dates and times (though we can assume based on previous years).

I also only have tickets for one party this year.  I usually have 2 or 3 at this point. But that could just be me getting more selective? There aren't many out there I find interesting this year.  I don't have hard figures on this one because I kind of bounce around for parties.  I just feel there's... not as many to choose from yet this year?

So basically... what are you waiting on that had already been announced by this time in previous years? AND just for funsies go through TimeHop or the Facebook feature to see what SDCC thing you were yammering about on social media on this day in the past.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Everything FEELS like it's being announced late, but IS IT?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
I'm waiting for Saturday evening events to be announced! So far everything seems to be on PN or Friday night!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:49:10 PM »

Online TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »
At this point my only definite plans are FoCC and buying group meet ups.  We did receive two of three badges today so that's exciting!

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:43:25 PM »
And it also feels weird because we know many changes are coming but we dont know what. The Harbor Dr shutdown was a welcome but surprising change

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:18:02 AM »
I'm wondering if the Hall H wristband system will remain the same this year, givenn last year's counterfeit wristbands. I'm guessing that it won't...

Offline CaseyJones14

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
I'm mainly curious about the Exclusives Portal. Will I be camping out overnight for stuff, putting all my marbles into the lottery, or be out of luck because I'm a guest of a professional?
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
I'm mainly curious about the Exclusives Portal. Will I be camping out overnight for stuff, putting all my marbles into the lottery, or be out of luck because I'm a guest of a professional?
I'm curious about this too. I'm a pro and I hope I'm not excluded.

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
I saw this Twitter exchange recently that seems to indicate news is coming a little early compared to last year: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But I can't deny that personally, it feels like everything is really late this year for whatever reason.
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
I also feel like its later this year, but maybe its just because this year has already felt like a million years long.

I also don't have tickets to anything yet, and I usually do by now. I think this is also because so far most stuff is Wednesday night. I generally always do the symphony but its announced for Wednesday this year too. My group has a dinner tradition Wednesday night so we're all skipping the symphony. (They did John Williams last year so we're not missing something totally new at least.)

I feel like this is gonna be a super chill SDCC for me and I'm already super cool with that. I really need vacation time.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
I also feel like its later this year, but maybe its just because this year has already felt like a million years long.

OMG that's an excellent point.

I feel like this is gonna be a super chill SDCC for me and I'm already super cool with that. I really need vacation time.

I feel similarly.  It might be an unusually chill year.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
Last year, it is important to note that Pre-Reg didn't happen until MARCH (I still can't get over that fact, FYI).

Hence, we were operating under a significantly condensed timeline between registration and all of the subsequent SDCC news.

This year we're back to the normal cycle of Pre-Reg being late in the prior year or very early January, etc.  Meaning, much longer wait times in terms of the duration between knowing if we're going to SDCC and actually getting news about it.

Just my two cents.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »
Last year, it is important to note that Pre-Reg didn't happen until MARCH (I still can't get over that fact, FYI).

Hence, we were operating under a significantly condensed timeline between registration and all of the subsequent SDCC news.

This year we're back to the normal cycle of Pre-Reg being late in the prior year or very early January, etc.  Meaning, much longer wait times in terms of the duration between knowing if we're going to SDCC and actually getting news about it.

Just my two cents.

That's a very point.

Also I did another time hop for this day in history and last year it seems the exhibition hall schedule was released TODAY, so very close for that.  That's on schedule at least.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 04:22:53 PM »

Just my two cents.

I think this is the best explanation so far.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 04:11:10 AM »
I agree since badge sale was late last year we've just had more time to wait and it feels like FOREVER! I was thinking Conan was running later than normal but based on last year, for me, I rsvpd for a bunch of stuff within 3 weeks of Con all the way up to a few days before. I think within the next week things are gonna start being announced left and right. Trying to plan drives me crazy buy the last couple years I've waited to commit to anything till the last minute and it's worked out well.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »
I keep detailed notes on when things are announced so I can refer to it the next year.

According to them we are actually a bit earlier for things like banners (6/23 in 2017; 6/20 this year) and trolley wraps (6/17 in 2017; 6/6 this year).

Merchandise was released on 6/20 in 2017 and 6/21 this year so basically the same time.

Conan tickets were available on 6/23 in 2017 (a friday) and approved on 6/27 (a thursday). So this may seem a tiny bit later, but since SDCC was a day later in 2017 they may be waiting for this weekend to pass and start on Monday since 6/23 this year is Saturday. So really Conan is right on target unless they decide to not announce next week for some reason.

As for studio/off-sites, I have Amazon as releasing info 6/21 and 6/27 in 2017 Vs. 6/8 in 2016. Next I have Nickelodeon announcing on 6/26 in 2017.

I don't have as much info as far as parties go because I only keep track of the ones I am interested in - but here is what I have from last year:

Wired Cafe - 6/29/17
Syfy - 7/5/17
Impractical Jokers - 7/12/17
Team Alpha - 7/13/17
NerdNite - 7/13/17
Nylon After con - 7/19/17
IGN/Sony - 7/10/17
Adult Swim on the green - 7/10/17

So from my estimation we aren't really late on things this year. But things will gear up really soon...hopefully we get Conan next week!