Author Topic: 2018 Warner Brothers floor swag blowout.  (Read 2622 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
2018 Warner Brothers floor swag blowout.
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »
Late this afternoon, WB had a massive floor swag blowout.  I noticed that the swag changed as the blowout continued.  It seemed to be random based on what box they opened.  The constant was 3 of the special comic-con TV Guides.  Everything else varied.  In my case, being early did not pay off.  I got the 3 TV Guides, a woman's large Batman tank top, a Charlie and the Chocolate factory book, and a Charlie and the Chocolate factory child's book.  A woman I ran into while putting my swag away who went through a few seconds behind me got a Supernatural paperback instead of the Charlie book.  She really loved her Batman tank top.  After putting my swag away and going back to the booth to see what was new, I saw that they were now getting standard unisex t-shirts, a The 100 book and a hardback Harry Potter book.  I much rather have had all that.  Contrary to many things, going first was bad for me in this case.  What did everyone else get?

Like with every other line I stood in during this con, the line cutters were rampant.  The WB people even had us hold up are hands and told us to tighten the formation to keep people from cutting in.  Of course it happened.  As we were bridging the gap from the wall to the booth, these two guys who were walking by tried to jump in front of me.  I literally blocked them with my arm and said "These two guys weren't in line!"  One of the guys responded "Why would you say that?  We were in line."  So I pointed to the two people behind them and said "I know who was behind me and it was those two people."  They ended up getting in line behind those people in that Disneyland line in the WB booth.  I thought they would skate since 10-20 seconds passed and nothing happened, but then those black suited WB security contractors came and pulled them out.  They kept saying "why?" during it all.  I guess the WB booth people went to get the security people to come pull them.  Full props to WB for not putting up with line cutters.  Full disappointed to my fellow people in line, after the fact they acknowledged line cutters suck but they didn't do a thing to stop it.  If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.  People do it since so many people do nothing and let them get away with it.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: 2018 Warner Brothers floor swag blowout.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:04:10 AM »
I got the Charlie and Chocolate factory too and other stuff but no shirts.

Yeah the crowd started getting crazy just after I got there so I left. I saw the boxes of shirts coming out but I got there when they started before the mass of people. I didn't want to stay and try again.  Not worth fighting the shoving and cutting. They did that last year and got cool scooby doo and Harry Potter stuff but it was more orderly and way less people
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:26:50 AM by susanml10881 »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:00:55 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
Many people did not want the TV Guides.  They just left them stacked on top of the trashcan at the WB booth exit or leaning against another vendors booth across the way.  I ended getting about 10 of them.  They are heavy.  I guess many people don't realize that they are special Comic Con exclusives.  At the Krypton panel they talked them up.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 08:11:31 AM »
Yea they were handing some good stuff.
Got a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Novel.
Got a Lego the Movie T shirt
Got a Wonder Woman pez despenser.
Harry Potter Poster Book.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
I stopped taking the TV Guides after I went through on Wednesday night.  Too much weight.  I just politely declined.
On Sunday, I ended up with 4 different Charlie and the Chocolate Factory items that I'll give to my wife for her classroom and what looks like a medium superman gray tee that i gave to my son.  The 100 book would've probably been nice to have, but books are too much weight for traveling.
I didn't really understand the line cutters, everything was moving so fast, you didn't need to stand in line very long.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
Impatience? Maybe they’re worried the line will get capped by the time they get to the end or they’ll run out of stuff.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Impatience? Maybe they’re worried the line will get capped by the time they get to the end or they’ll run out of stuff.

They capped the line and reopened it all the time.  They got shutdown by the fire marshall earlier so they capped it to keep it short but then reopened it once it got too short.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »
Oh. Fire Marshall shut down a few booths then. Dang. Idk.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
My mom made that wb line like 3 times, she got everything you mentioned except the pez thing.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
My mom made that wb line like 3 times, she got everything you mentioned except the pez thing.

I really wanted to when I saw that they had the hardback books but I was just doing a quick walk through the floor to get from an offsite to the Marriot for my volunteer shift.  I guess I had the time to do it once more since I always show up early for my shifts and then spend time sitting under a letter.

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »

Full disappointed to my fellow people in line, after the fact they acknowledged line cutters suck but they didn't do a thing to stop it.  If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.  People do it since so many people do nothing and let them get away with it.

This x 1000. I never understand why people don’t speak up. Line cutters/queue jumpers are essentially saying to everyone behind them that they are more important than you and have no regard for you.

I’ve spoken up in all manner of lines, including Disney and Universal. All other surrounding people just shuffle their feet and look to the sky like they don’t see what’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »
Most people don’t like confrontation. Especially given the demographics at Comic Con. Not like we are all waiting in line for Wrestlemania..

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
Most people don’t like confrontation. Especially given the demographics at Comic Con. Not like we are all waiting in line for Wrestlemania..

It has nothing to do with the demographics at comic-con.  If it did, then there wouldn't be as many linecutters at comic-con would there?  It happens everywhere.  Comic-con or the line to get a hotdog and soda at Costco.  Whenever I call someone out for cutting in line, the people around me will thank me for saying something but they won't say anything themselves.  Not everyone is like that.  In the Taco Bell line especially, a decent number of people spoke up.  But as long as others don't, it simply encourages people to cut in line.

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
Full disappointed to my fellow people in line, after the fact they acknowledged line cutters suck but they didn't do a thing to stop it.  If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.  People do it since so many people do nothing and let them get away with it.

So true. Some guy tried to do that and join his friends in the everything else line when we got there early. I think 5am? The guy wanted to cut with his friends 15 minutes before being let down in the hall. Luckily the security was on top of it. Making people take names. And they didn’t let him cut. Thank goodness cause I have no problem calling him out.

Then yesterday at an offsite some guy tried to cut. Initially we thought he was with the guys in front of us. He talked a bit to them and he was wearing the same colored shirt as their friend who happened to be at the bathroom at the time. Anyways, some guy came up and let me know he tried cutting them a few minutes earlier. I tried to give him a guilt trip to get him to leave. Didn’t work. So I yelled down the line, “Just so you know this guy is trying to cut! Are you all okay with that?” People yelled no...and some with extra expletives. So I looked at him and said “Guess you gotta leave now cause I just made that whole line of people mad at you.” Can’t stand the line cutters.

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
Were the bags with swag only handed out on Sunday? Or were there other days but it ran out earlier?