Author Topic: Should I get this serviced?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Comico

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
Should I get this serviced?
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
Hi, my car makes a squeaky noise at low speeds but it doesn't sound like bad brakes. The technician at Valvoline noticed that the struts, suspension or shocks were worn on my 1998 Toyota Rav4. He said it was expected because it has over 100K on it but didn't know how serious it was or what to do because it's not his expertise.

Here are 2 pictures from my front axles:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

1) Should I have this serviced? If so, about what would it cost?

2) How urgent is this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: Should I get this serviced?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »
Hi, my car makes a squeaky noise at low speeds but it doesn't sound like bad brakes. The technician at Valvoline noticed that the struts, suspension or shocks were worn on my 1998 Toyota Rav4. He said it was expected because it has over 100K on it but didn't know how serious it was or what to do because it's not his expertise.

Here are 2 pictures from my front axles:

1) Should I have this serviced? If so, about what would it cost?

2) How urgent is this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi! This might not be the best place for auto repair advice, especially about possible costs. The struts don't look very good but the most expensive part of the repair is usually labor. My advice would be to ask around and try to find a mechanic in your area that you can trust and who can explain what the problem is and what your options are. If the car is drivable and the estimate is expensive then maybe get some other estimates from other mechanics. If you have AAA or a similar service then you might be able to get recommendations for mechanics through them. Good luck!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:22:59 PM »

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:36:18 AM »
yeah, while i don't like to judge folks- i tend to thing us geeks are more interested in star ships then auto's... LOL

I will say, having had dodgy mechanics recommend unnecessary repairs in the past, look on line for good feedback on a place before taking your car there.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »
To add to [member=1]alyssa[/member]'s comments, much like we're all geeky bout comics and movies, there are other forums specific to what you're looking for (for example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).  You'll probably have much better luck there.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
Yes, always have some u trust to check it with u and saw the pics and looks like something is cracked or broken or came apart somehow.

The Gossamer

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:12:51 PM »
[member=7802]Comico[/member]  Your coil over spring insulator is worn out. The spring will contact the strut perch and can cause the noise you are talking about. If the struts are not leaking oil they might not be bad unless your car wanders and bounces excessively at higher speeds. I would recommend new spring insulators be replaced at the very least. As noted above try to find a trustworthy auto tech/shop either through a good referral and/or online reviews.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:02:29 AM by The Gossamer »