Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi ***SPOILERS***  (Read 9678 times)

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »

I have Porgs as well!

Finally got around to seeing it a second time and it’s actually more enjoyable.   Also I feel Kylo was lying about Rey’s parents being nobodies.   

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also I feel Kylo was lying about Rey’s parents being nobodies.

Yup yup yup.  :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 03:18:11 PM »

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:52 PM »
Yup yup yup.  :)

cool picture.  my kids love the porgs.  i havent been around.  do people think the ice wolves are a not subtle tip of the hat to filoni who loves wolves ?

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Finally went and saw this yesterday. What a boring turd of a movie. Convoluted story. Hamill, Fisher, Dern, and del Toro deliver awful performances. (Though I am sympathetic to Dern and del Toro since there characters were so poorly conceived.) Even the action sequences were lacking. I don't think that Star Wars movies are all that good, but they have always been "cinematic" and I understood why people enjoyed them. This did not give me the same "cinematic" feel and I don't understand its appeal. This is just bad filmmaking. 
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »
So is Kylo Ren, aka Ben, going to be Snoke's successor in Episode 9?
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2018, 08:43:23 AM »
So is Kylo Ren, aka Ben, going to be Snoke's successor in Episode 9?
Who knows; by the end of THE LAST JEDI he took over as Snoke's successor so odds seem to be good that he will. 
THAT is the beauty of him killing Snoke at the end of act 2.  At that point and through the end of the film at least, Ren really did finish what his Grandfather had started: surpassing the Emperor/Supreme Leader and becoming the top being with the Empire/First Order - going from apprentice to master.  I personally think it would be fascinating to spend more time with Ren as the Supreme Leader: he certainly seemed to blow his first big moments at the end of TLJ, and it would be maybe fun to see him way overzealously coming back at the remaining Resistance in 'revenge' of being made to look foolish.
But who knows what JJ will have in mind for Ep. 9

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
I'm a little late to the party. I actually saw this movie during the last week of 2017 at Alamo Drafthouse (my first time at an Alamo Drafthouse). The experience is pretty great and I think I'm going to be make this theatre my go-to from now on.

I didn't like that the movie kept Leia alive even though they knew full well probably in Post that Carrie Fisher would not be able to reprise her role in future films. They should have changed the ending to keep Luke alive and allow Leia to die. This way, future films could have helped focus on Luke training Rey because as my brother put it, in the past, it takes years to hone The Force.

I'm not too thrilled at the placement of the humor in this film like when Luke dusts his shoulder off, or when he threw the lightsaber over his back (I still laughed, but it seemed off somehow). I originally had a "huh?" moment with Leia sailing through space, but I guess between finding out that she's a Skywalker and now, she's been practicing using the Force?? I guess that's plausible.

I know a lot of people love Poe and I loved Poe in Episode 7. But this episode made him look like a lovesick puppy fawning after Leia. Like starting a mutiny with Laura Dern, but when Leia sided with Dern, he didn't object because he's that loyal to Leia, but if he trusted Leia that much, why question her decision to put Dern in charge?

I did love the new creatures and I'd go on to say that the Porgs are fun, but the caretakers on that island were the best. I loved the crystal foxes. Looking back, the scenes between Rey and Luke on the island have been pretty funny. Especially since whenever she looked back, it was always of Luke storming up the stairs like a grumpy old man. The resentment is real. I wonder if we'll get a full movie only focusing on the flashbacks (Probably not, but I'd still go see it in the theatres).

I guess I disliked more things than I really liked, but it was still good fun. It was visually appealing. I really liked the red salt. I kind of liked Rose, but she's pretty forgettable, which is bad. When I think back on the movie, it's pretty easy to look over her scenes, but I hope she'll stay and they'll give her something to make her more memorable for me.

I'm not as big of a fan of Star Wars as my brother is. He's pretty upset about this movie and has said that it completely broke him. (Although, if it were up to my brother, the movie would have lasted 15 minutes.) I'm really just here for a good time. If the movie was just the opening scene with text scrolling and the horns blaring, I'd be happy too. I wish there were more lightsaber battle scenes. My takeaway from the last scene with the kid and the broom is that The Force is neutral. It's part of nature regardless if you try to harness it with good or bad intentions. I want to see characters with The Force be good and bad within themselves.

What is going on with Rey, Finn, and Rose?
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »

A few weeks ago, we reported what Luke’s third lesson to Rey would have been, if it hadn’t been cut out of the film. You can read all about it here, but to summarize, it was Luke playing a trick on Rey about the Caretakers being terrorized by bandits.

The Last Jedi Novelization to Feature Deleted Scenes, Star Wars Day at Sea, and More!

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2018, 08:09:50 PM »
I just pre-ordered my Blu-ray copy of "The Last Jedi."  It's coming out March 27.
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
New "manlier" version of the movie poster by Fernando Reza. I do believe that's a Duke Nukem inspired pose :)

Storefront:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login currently running a 20% off special with code KIDZODIAC.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
"Star Wars Episode IX" will feature Carrie Fisher using unused footage from "Episode VIII: The Last Jedi."  Also, Billy Dee Williams will be reprising his Lando Calrissian role as well.

D23 Expo 2017

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
I wonder if they'll use that unused footage and dub over her voice, because there's almost no way whatever lines she spoke for VII will work for IX. Unless it's just vague one liners here and there.

They integrated unused A New Hope footage in Rogue One (mainly the X-Wing pilots), so this plan CAN work.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
Shouldn't this be it's own movie thread?

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

SW corrected to add Keri Russell.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:07:54 PM by SamTurtledove »