Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214759 times)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #810 on: June 10, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Woah, that looks AMAZING! Must try!
I know. I think they liked one of my posts, so I looked at their feed and followed (for research purposes). They opened pretty recently.

For the vegans on the forum, they do mention a couple of vegan options.

And-I want to find out what  "pasta cupcakes filled with chocolate cream and strawberries" tastes like (again, for research purposes).
Ang

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #811 on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
And-I want to find out what  "pasta cupcakes filled with chocolate cream and strawberries" tastes like (again, for research purposes).

I was super curious about this too! I've seen "pasta cupcakes" before, but they were savory, not sweet at all.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #812 on: Today at 12:06:30 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #812 on: June 29, 2018, 10:51:58 AM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

COMIC-CON 2018 TOUCAN TIP OF THE DAY! #11: Hey … Where Do You Want to Eat?

It may be the second-most important decision you make at Comic-Con … where to eat? Well, now you have a plethora of answers at your fingertips, because Comic-Con’s 2018 Restaurant Guide is here! Our list includes everything from fine dining to coffeehouses to breakfast and brunch, and snacks.

The Guide features restaurants in San Diego’s world-famous Gaslamp Quarter, the East Village, Horton Plaza, Seaport Village and The Headquarters, and quite a few this year north of Broadway and even into Little Italy. Downtown San Diego is a foodie’s dream, so make sure you get out there and eat your way through the city!

Always wear your Comic-Con 2018 Badge when you go out to eat. Restaurants appearing in our Guide may be offering special discounts to badgeholders.

Click here for the Comic-Con 2018 Restaurant Guide! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Check back for another Toucan Tip tomorrow here on Toucan, the only OFFICIAL SDCC blog! Bookmark Toucan and the Comic-Con Front Page for the latest updates for Comic-Con International 2018!

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #813 on: July 05, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
I forgot to mention-I have updated my google doc with this year's CCI restaurant guide map numbers, and the map that I created is back up again. Also, the San Diego Convention Center coupons seem to be the ones that are good for SDCC (before, they expressly said that they were not good for SDCC). So, I updated the highlights for the restaurants in the doc that have a coupon.

Google doc:

My map of the downtown locations (there is also a link in the header row of the Google doc, in the Map # column). I do need to remove the restaurants that have closed.

Coupons:

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #814 on: July 05, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »
Here's my contribution.  If you are looking for fine dining, look elsewhere.  If you are looking to save money for that SDCC exclusive, read on.

McDonalds has a daily recurring coupon to get a sandwich like the Big Mac, Quarter Pounder and Butter Chicken for $1.  This coupon should recur daily through 9/30.  So each day there will be a new coupon to get a regularly $5-$6 sandwich for $1.  Download the McDonalds app, signup for an account and then look under deals.  There are also a bunch of other good coupons in there that vary daily.  Like buy a $1 drink and get a milkshake or buy a $1 cheeseburger and get a free soda.  Only one coupon allowed per transaction but you can make multiple transaction.

This coupon is active now so you don't need to wait for comic-con.  Use it on your flight to San Diego.  Airport restaurants are expensive including McDonalds.  This coupon will work there.  If anyone refuses it, place a mobile pickup order and use it that way.

Is there a cheap/free food thread on friends?  I for one, would be interested in that.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #815 on: July 05, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
There's a New upscale Mexican place in the Gaslamp ...two stories:

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #816 on: July 08, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
We have a blog post about cheap eats in/near Gaslamp. It mainly focuses on food that is $5 or less and includes a section for Happy Hours with cheap food (usually appetizers). Of course, it should be noted that some businesses change things during Comic-Con (offering special SDCC menus and not their usual, not having the same specials, etc).

We also have a blog post about restaurants where kids eat free: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And one about ways to save on dining in San Diego: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here are some of the notable Gaslamp cheap eats that we've found through our research - I'd love to find out more cheap eats too if anyone has ones to share.

Pizza on 5th
734 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Most of the menu is between $5 and $10, with pizza slices at just $3.50.

Sushi Deli 2
(next to Spreckels Theater)
135 Broadway, San Diego, CA
Many different sushi roll options for $5 or less.

Gaslamp Pizza
505 5th. Ave San Diego, Ca 92101
Sells pizza by the slice for $4. They also offer 5 Piece Chicken Wings for $5.99 and 3 Cheesy Breadsticks for $4.99.

Lucky’s Lunch Counter
338 7th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Several inexpensive breakfast options. For $4 you can get Irish Oatmeal or a bagel with cream cheese or butter. They also offer breakfast sides where you could create your own meal for $5 or less. For example, 2 eggs are $3 and you add on toast or a pancake for another $2.  If you have a bit more to spend, they sell hotdogs or bratwurst for $6 for lunch.

Michos
762 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Inexpensive Mexican food, inside The Atomic.  Much of the menu is under $5 — tacos are $3-$4, bean and cheese burrito is $4.49, plus more.

Lolita’s at the Park Downtown
202 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92101
Numerous items under $5, most of the menu is under $10. You can get a bean burrito, shredded beef burrito, chicken burrito, or veggie burrito for $5 or less. All of their tacos are under $5 (except shrimp).

The Old Spaghetti Factory
275 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
While there isn’t much food that is $5 or less on their menu (except a single chicken parm, a few meatballs, or their broccoli), this is an inexpensive place to eat for lunch (Monday-Friday). They offer a pasta entree with marinara sauce, soup or salad, and bread for just $7.  They also offer a lunch special of unlimited soup or salad for the same price. Dinner entrees are $11.25 and up, but they come complete with soup or salad, bread, and ice cream for dessert.

Subway
611 K. St San Diego, Ca 92101
Known for their $5 Footlongs of certain varieties, but many other varieties cost under $5 for a 6″ sandwich. Get a Kids Meal and you can have a small sandwich, apples, and a drink for less than $5. There are several more Subways in the Gaslamp District. This one is the closest to the Convention center.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:34:56 AM by comicconfamily »
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #817 on: July 08, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
We have a blog post about cheap eats in/near Gaslamp. It mainly focuses on food that is $5 or less and includes a section for Happy Hours with cheap food (usually appetizers). Of course, it should be noted that some businesses change things during Comic-Con (offering special SDCC menus and not their usual, not having the same specials, etc).

We also have a blog post about restaurants where kids eat free: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And one about ways to save on dining in San Diego: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here are some of the notable Gaslamp cheap eats that we've found through our research - I'd love to find out more cheap eats too if anyone has ones to share.

Pizza on 5th
734 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Most of the menu is between $5 and $10, with pizza slices at just $3.50.

Sushi Deli 2
(next to Spreckels Theater)
135 Broadway, San Diego, CA
Many different sushi roll options for $5 or less.

Gaslamp Pizza
505 5th. Ave San Diego, Ca 92101
Sells pizza by the slice for $4. They also offer 5 Piece Chicken Wings for $5.99 and 3 Cheesy Breadsticks for $4.99.

Lucky’s Lunch Counter
338 7th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Several inexpensive breakfast options. For $4 you can get Irish Oatmeal or a bagel with cream cheese or butter. They also offer breakfast sides where you could create your own meal for $5 or less. For example, 2 eggs are $3 and you add on toast or a pancake for another $2.  If you have a bit more to spend, they sell hotdogs or bratwurst for $6 for lunch.

Michos
762 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Inexpensive Mexican food, inside The Atomic.  Much of the menu is under $5 — tacos are $3-$4, bean and cheese burrito is $4.49, plus more.

Lolita’s at the Park Downtown
202 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92101
Numerous items under $5, most of the menu is under $10. You can get a bean burrito, shredded beef burrito, chicken burrito, or veggie burrito for $5 or less. All of their tacos are under $5 (except shrimp).

The Old Spaghetti Factory
275 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
While there isn’t much food that is $5 or less on their menu (except a single chicken parm, a few meatballs, or their broccoli), this is an inexpensive place to eat for lunch (Monday-Friday). They offer a pasta entree with marinara sauce, soup or salad, and bread for just $7.  They also offer a lunch special of unlimited soup or salad for the same price. Dinner entrees are $11.25 and up, but they come complete with soup or salad, bread, and ice cream for dessert.

Subway
611 K. St San Diego, Ca 92101
Known for their $5 Footlongs of certain varieties, but many other varieties cost under $5 for a 6″ sandwich. Get a Kids Meal and you can have a small sandwich, apples, and a drink for less than $5. There are several more Subways in the Gaslamp District. This one is the closest to the Convention center.
This is a terrific resource! Thanks for posting. Lots of good information. Luckily, I looked at it after lunch.
I added it (and the restaurants I didn't have on it) to my Google doc.
Ang

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #818 on: July 10, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
There's a new Food Hall opening in Little Italy right before the convention.

Here's an article from Eater about it:

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #819 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »
I was talking to a friend today about SDCC.  Usually on Sunday we go to Oceanaire Seafood Room as our end of Comic Con tradition.  Good food and Sundays usually have some deals.

But I was reminded of another place I've been called Lion's Share.  I went there a few years ago, but they still have their high yelp ranking, collection of varied and tasty meat dishes and "interesting" decor.  Its pricey and may require a reservation (the time I went with another friend, we walked right in no problem on a Friday Night).

Both these places I recommend if you are into something a little more fancy.

Offline PurpleCalico

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #820 on: July 15, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »
With regards to food & drinks, is it safe to drink water from the tap in San Diego or do you have to boil it first?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #821 on: July 15, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
With regards to food & drinks, is it safe to drink water from the tap in San Diego or do you have to boil it first?

It's safe to drink.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #822 on: July 15, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »
It's safe to drink.

Yes, totally safe, but totally tastes awful.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #823 on: August 02, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
The $1 Big Macs are still going on with the app coupon.  Today it gets even better since with any Big Mac purchase they are giving you a 50th anniversary coin good for another Big Mac in the future.  So it's 2 Big Macs for $1 today.

Offline Kira001

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #824 on: August 06, 2018, 08:33:12 PM »
I don't know if this had been said already but every single year that I have been going to Comic-Con, I can't pass up the chance to hit up the Tin Fish. I know that its just a regular fish and chips place but from what I've had though out the years, its some pretty good fish and chips. And for the past couple of years, I've been going to Kansas City BBQ and Bubs, they have been pretty recent finds but they have been pretty good so far.