Author Topic: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC  (Read 11664 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
From the look of the map, you can still drive right into the Hilton and their garage with no permits. I don't think the Hilton lawn or that backside lawn where Adult Swim usually goes will be impacted. Plenty of people without badges will be able to get to those via the pedestrian bridge it seems.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »
so what is an activation? a place to activate your badge or scan? activity location? place where they screen you? IMO kind of a poor choice of word (even looking in the FAQ doesn't tell me what the word is talking about!)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:40:00 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
so what is an activation? a place to activate your badge or scan? activity location? place where they screen you? IMO kind of a poor choice of word (even looking in the FAQ doesn't tell me what the word is talking about!)

It's the fancy marketing buzzword for what we usually call "offsites" around here.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »

Activation = off site event such as the Rick and Morty-mobile, Adult Swim area. Things that are set up outside the convention center not usually affiliated with CCI.

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 11:07:15 AM »

Activation = off site event such as the Rick and Morty-mobile, Adult Swim area. Things that are set up outside the convention center not usually affiliated with CCI.
It's the fancy marketing buzzword for what we usually call "offsites" around here.

wow, thanks for the replies. they really should have used a better word especially since this document is public facing. ironically a marketing fail lol...

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
from the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The San Diego Police do take security at comic-con very seriously.  I spoke to the chief of police last year as she was personally overseeing things.  But I said it last year and I'll say it again, they really need to at least shut down Harbor Drive.  Just one lone car attack when people are walking across the street would be disastrous.  There's nothing the police can do about that before it happens.  Once it happens it's too late.  I've been to events at the convention center where they do shut down Harbor Drive.  I don't understand why they don't for comic-con.  I would expand that further and turn the entire gas lamp into a pedestrian only area during comic-con.  There was that zombie walk incident a few years back involving a car.  Pretty much anywhere in the gas lamp at the height of comic-con would be a horrendous if there was a car attack.

[member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] , thanks!

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »
wow, thanks for the replies. they really should have used a better word especially since this document is public facing. ironically a marketing fail lol...
It's a fairly new use of the word, but it is widely used in advertising circles. It's really brand activation (or experiential marketing, which is closely related), but it gets shortened to activation.

A brand activation is any campaign, event, or experience that enables your brand to engage directly with consumers and build a loyal brand community around your product or service. Activations, often inclusive and interactive, ignite the fire that will light the way for people to find your product and align with your purpose.
Ang

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »
Didn't most of the activities behind the convention center technically require badges, anyway? I am not sure if anything would change except for the badge-less not being able to wander the area and sneak into the offsites.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
Long time coming and happy to see this change, from safety to crowding benefits. Logistics will take some time getting used to, and expect it not to be an exact science on day 1. 

I don't think this will affect the lawn con activistions,  but we will see

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »

Ha!  I remember thinking of this when the news came out.  Does [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] have any lotto numbers to share too?

Didn't most of the activities behind the convention center technically require badges, anyway? I am not sure if anything would change except for the badge-less not being able to wander the area and sneak into the offsites.

I don't think for the Adult Swim offsite they did.  I do remember you could sign on from their website to get some kind of "fast pass," but I don't think there were any requirements for SDCC badges.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:08:49 PM by Vapors »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »

No, most offsites don't need a badge.  They promote them as a comic-con experience for people that can't a ticket to comic-con.  I don't think closing off the front of the convention center would mean having to close off the lawn where those offsites are.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »

Thanks for the recognition!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »
I can’t imagine them giving up that prime real-estate in the back. I just need to remember to always have my badge when we leave the Hilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would mean closing off the street around the clock, but think how much money the city could make renting out Harbor Drive for offsites.  It's prime real estate since so many people walk between the convention center and the gaslamp as well as all that trolley traffic.  Location.  Location.  Location.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »
Informative article about the access plan in The San Diego Union-Tribune: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
No, most offsites don't need a badge.  They promote them as a comic-con experience for people that can't a ticket to comic-con.  I don't think closing off the front of the convention center would mean having to close off the lawn where those offsites are.

I know that most of them don't. I was thinking of the activities on the lawn, specifically.