Author Topic: Sdcc talk back panel link-UPDATED(again) for complete talk back panel  (Read 5363 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
UPDATED for correct link

I wasn't able to get in for the first 30 mins
I will try and get the full link soon

thanks to [member=10]ukdeejay[/member] aka an englishman in sd aka leonard

here's a link to the full talk back
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:20:49 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

The Gossamer

Re: Sdcc talk back panel link
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »
Thanks alyssa. I tried to go and thought it was unusual there was a mini Hall H line to get in. I did not get in.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
Isn't this NYCC last year?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »

Raise your hand if you’ve heard this one before: The lines to get into the vaunted Hall H at Comic-Con are intolerably long, poorly managed, and something needs to be done to correct the problem.

Comic-Con International board president John Rogers heard an earful Sunday afternoon during the convention’s annual talk-back session where dozens of attendees lined up to air their grievances about everything from poor line control and mistreatment of disabled attendees to shuttle drivers who didn’t know the route to the hotels from the convention center.

The laments were not new to Rogers, who dutifully took notes and made the occasional observation and apology as attendees peppered him with questions, emotional pleas and angry rants. Sunday was the final day of the four-day gathering downtown that drew more than 130,000 attendees.

“This is my 23rd straight Comic-Con and every year, you have Issues with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), line management and security,” said Romeo Fayloga, one of the first to line up to address Rogers. “Are you trying things throughout the year so this doesn’t pop up every Comic-Con?”

“We’re always defining our plans, getting better maps to everyone involved, trying to get information to security companies so they can execute better, and hiring additional line managers,” Rogers said in a measured tone. “We went from 30 to over 150 this year, and we clearly don’t have that one cracked yet. The lines have grown more, and the rate at which we try to solve the problem doesn’t keep up with the rate it’s growing but we are trying.”

It’s no secret that Comic-Con, which usually sells out within an hour of badges going on sale, long ago outgrew San Diego’s bayfront convention center. One consequence - a major one: entry into the highest profile, celebrity-studded television and movie panels that take place in Hall H requires waiting in huge lines that begin forming the night before and even earlier.

Comic-Con instituted a wristband system a few years ago in hopes of making the Hall H wait a more orderly process and to discourage line-cutting. But on Saturday, there were reports of hundreds of counterfeit wristbands circulating that ultimately kept many of those waiting in line with legitimate wristbands from getting into Hall H.

“The thing is, we had zero communication,” Aaron Weis of San Diego fumed. “The people in that line deserved more in terms of communication.”

Several others echoed his frustrations.

“I’m a gadget guy, and I have come up with 10 different schemes,” Rogers said of the line dilemma. “It’s quite possible there were some number of counterfeit wristbands produced.

“As much as I love technology, I also get persuaded by other staff that every piece of technology we add is something else that can go wrong. They will say we’ve never had a duplicated wristband, let’s not make it more difficult. And I said, ‘Oh boy, I don’t get to have all my whiz bang toys but maybe I do get a new one now.”

A number of individuals with disabilities recounted multiple difficulties and inequities related to their experiences waiting in the special ADA line for entry into Hall H. In some cases, they said, they encountered disrespectful attitudes from staff and security, as well as attendees.

Kris Lewis of Oceanside, seated in her wheelchair as she addressed Rogers, recounted the indignity of hearing people inside Hall H speak ill of her because her chair was blocking their view to the stage.

“We’re not generally complainers, but we’re not being represented here,” said Lewis, her voice cracking at one point. “You have a much higher percentage of ADA people who come here than to other conventions. The reason we read comics is we’re looking for something to escape the fact we’re stuck in a chair.

“I’ve been disabled for a very long time. But after eight-plus hours of people talking crap about me, it made me want to cry.”

Rogers was sympathetic.

“We try to make it better each year but we’re not getting there yet,” he acknowledged. “How members of the public behave is a shock to me. … We haven’t considered how the (wheel)chairs affect the sight lines. That doesn’t necessarily work for all the humans sitting there who feel (their views) have been compromised.”

Not everyone was quick to criticize. Some commended Comic-Con organizers for their ability to attract top-flight celebrities and film directors, while a few others said they really enjoyed themselves during the convention.

“I’ve been going to Comic-Con for 30 years and people have always been courteous,” said one attendee toward the end of the session. “Listening to all these complaints, I realize this might not be universally true but I want to extend a big thanks to all the fans. You’ve all shown a basic level of human decency.”

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
Isn't this NYCC last year?

Yes, I think link is to the 2016 NYCC talk back. Hopefully Alyssa will get a chance to correct it.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39:14 PM »
Yes, I think link is to the 2016 NYCC talk back. Hopefully Alyssa will get a chance to correct it.
yikes...

sorry abt that

that's what happens when i do stuff fast-

updated the OP to correct with link
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:43:55 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline sheilaac717

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 15
Re: Sdcc talk back panel link-UPDATED
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:47:04 AM »
I didn't listen to the entire program, but did anyone ask about why regular registration and hotel registration was so late? And is this going to be a trend. Having it so late made travel plans more expensive.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
I didn't listen to the entire program, but did anyone ask about why regular registration and hotel registration was so late? And is this going to be a trend. Having it so late made travel plans more expensive.

Someone asked about Returning registration.  SDCC said they had been considering a change in the process, but by the time they decided not to execute the change, they were behind schedule.  It won't happen again this year, they said.  Everything will be earlier.

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
Someone asked about Returning registration.  SDCC said they had been considering a change in the process, but by the time they decided not to execute the change, they were behind schedule.  It won't happen again this year, they said.  Everything will be earlier.

Yes, TJ asked that question!

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »
The change in the process scares me...wonder what they were trying to do. I had just gotten used to this way!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
i have to say the guy at marker 41:15 was a bit offensive- I am aware however that there are things to be learned from offensive opinions

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
The change in the process scares me...wonder what they were trying to do. I had just gotten used to this way!

It seems likely that they were trying to create a system to handle the badge sale in-house instead of contracting it out. Last year they said they were no longer working with Expo Logic, but then when badge sales FINALLY happened it was still through Expo. So it looks like they tried to build a new system but testing did not go well.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »
It seems likely that they were trying to create a system to handle the badge sale in-house instead of contracting it out. Last year they said they were no longer working with Expo Logic, but then when badge sales FINALLY happened it was still through Expo. So it looks like they tried to build a new system but testing did not go well.

I would agree. WonderCOn badges this year were purchased by logging directly into your Member ID account. My guess is that they were trying something similar for SDCC.

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
I was there from the beginning and left right when the more aggressive guy (41:15) started talking. Just listened to the rest though (thank you for recording and posting this). While I feel like a lot of the flak John took was unjust and out of CCI's control, there was definitely some valid complaints. The one I found most interesting though was the guy who claims he was one of the founders of Comic-Con and that his Gold pass had been revoked. I had no idea a Gold pass (or any recurring privelages) even existed. Does anyone know any more about this?

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
Thank you for recording this, [member=1]alyssa[/member]. I didn't make it in but am happy to see that some of our own questions were asked by others. I've listened to the 1st hour, will finish the rest tomorrow. Don't agree with the guy at 41:15 -- a bit harsh I would say. And the whole gold pass thing?? Never knew such a thing existed.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022