Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214743 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #825 on: August 07, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
I've also made Tin Fish one of my regular eats (and usually on Friday after con for some reason), as well as Burger Lounge. I used to also frequent this one woodfire pizza place on 4th that sadly closed maybe five years ago. I haven't found a convenient, good pizza place in Gaslamp to replace it yet.

Offline meecheles

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #826 on: August 09, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »
Yes. Love the burger lounge.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #827 on: Today at 08:13:34 AM »

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #827 on: February 19, 2019, 06:20:47 AM »
Anytime I'm in San Diego, I always try to hit the Strip Club (grill your own meat/veggies), and La Playa Taco Shop in Mission Beach. The Taco Shop has THE BEST al pastor burrito I've ever had.
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020

TravT77

« Reply #828 on: February 22, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know if this had been said already but every single year that I have been going to Comic-Con, I can't pass up the chance to hit up the Tin Fish. I know that its just a regular fish and chips place but from what I've had though out the years, its some pretty good fish and chips. And for the past couple of years, I've been going to Kansas City BBQ and Bubs, they have been pretty recent finds but they have been pretty good so far.
The shrimp tacos are freaking delicious at Tin Fish! I ate them twice during our last con trip(ok, maybe three times). And yes, I agree the fish and chips are excellent :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »
I've also made Tin Fish one of my regular eats (and usually on Friday after con for some reason), as well as Burger Lounge. I used to also frequent this one woodfire pizza place on 4th that sadly closed maybe five years ago. I haven't found a convenient, good pizza place in Gaslamp to replace it yet.

Is tin fish all breaded, deep fried?

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »
Is tin fish all breaded, deep fried?
You can get fried or grilled, sandwich or platter.
Here's the menu - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #831 on: May 01, 2019, 12:24:46 AM »
Sushi Deli 2
(next to Spreckels Theater)
135 Broadway, San Diego, CA
Many different sushi roll options for $5 or less.

I agree, [member=3681]comicconfamily[/member]!

My contribution:  Also not far from Spreckels Theater:  The Sofia Hotel's restaurant and bar, Currant Brasserie's Happy Hour 3 - 7:00 p.m.  They have the best "Popcorn of the Moment" that is served in a paper cone - $3.95, I think.  The seasonings are savory and outstanding - so buttery and crave-able.  Other offerings include Thyme Fries or Truffle Parmesan fries, crabcakes, wings, flatbread and the like.  Dinner can be pricey but the Happy Hour is pretty affordable and tasty.  Have yet to make it there for brunch which I believe, offers Beignets - yum.  A hidden gem. 

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #832 on: May 12, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
Volcano Rabbit’s all booked up Thursday to Sunday    ???

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #833 on: May 12, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
Hmm. Maybe someone is doing an activation/theme bar there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #834 on: May 13, 2019, 09:56:29 AM »
Frankly I don't have time to go to a restaurant during the con. I just go to Costco and get a tray of those turkey wraps and eat them in my car. By Sunday I'm pretty sick of them but I don't waste precious Con time waiting to get into an overpriced restaurant. I do like to get a beer at one of the Con Hotels.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:12:12 PM by Old Man Grey »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #835 on: May 13, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Frankly I don't have time to go to a restaurant during the con. I just go to Costco and get a try of those chicken wraps and eat them in my car. By Sunday I'm pretty sick of them but I don't waste precious Con time waiting to get into an overpriced restaurant. I do like to get a beer at one of the Con Hotels.

As I've gotten older, I find the opposite to be true. I used to spend every single minute doing something SDCC-related or being in/around the convention center, and I would subsist on energy bars or those pretzels they have everywhere. Now, I value decompression time and getting fed over needing to see just one more thing at SDCC.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #836 on: May 13, 2019, 02:20:09 PM »
As I've gotten older, I find the opposite to be true. I used to spend every single minute doing something SDCC-related or being in/around the convention center, and I would subsist on energy bars or those pretzels they have everywhere. Now, I value decompression time and getting fed over needing to see just one more thing at SDCC.

Age is why I avoid the crowded restaurants. I only have enough energy for about 10 hours at the Con per day. Too much to do to waste an hour or more fighting for a table. Of course that's me, your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:27:49 AM by Old Man Grey »

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #837 on: May 15, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »

Same. It’s nice to break away from the mass crowds and get a drink/real food. Plus you can usually people watch.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #838 on: May 27, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
A friend and I were talking about those bacon-wrapped hot dogs (or maybe they’re sausages?) that the street vendors in SD sell, and how they smell so amazing, but we’ve always been scared to try them. Has anyone here ever had them? How are they? And did you have any gastrointestinal issues after lol?

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #839 on: May 27, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
I have had several street hot dogs locally, in LA, and in SD. I have never had any gastrointestinal issues. I will say they like to use jalapenos in SD and I'm not a huge fan of that. But street vendors tend to have some of the best hot dogs I've ever tasted.
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020