Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211219 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2019, 09:02:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We are keeping a tally for the big hotel party we have every year for B-days.  Oh were you not invited.  AWKWARD!  Guess you have been staying at the wrong hotel  :P

Well if I can't come, nobody else who has a birthday on July 23 can come either WOOPS

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
Well if I can't come, nobody else who has a birthday on July 23 can come either WOOPS

As far as I am concerned we only celebrate July 23rd and everyone else is out!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #257 on: Today at 01:05:38 PM »

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »
Hey! I have another question about the hotel sale. What constitutes a duplicate submission. I know that having the same names will; but will having the same address trigger a duplicate submission as well? What will happen if 2 different people from the same address try for a room? Will Onpeak assume that they are rooming together?

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:25 AM »
Hey! I have another question about the hotel sale. What constitutes a duplicate submission. I know that having the same names will; but will having the same address trigger a duplicate submission as well? What will happen if 2 different people from the same address try for a room? Will Onpeak assume that they are rooming together?
As far as I could tell, duplicates were determined mostly by phone number and email address, which are the easiest to match, then possibly by name, but then again a lot of people can have the same name, so that's a tough one.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »

Someone else can weigh in, but...

I think that's the million dollar question.  No one knows, and OnPeak can't/won't answer the question
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »

I would alter everything slightly just to play it safe.  We know for sure that names get flagged.  I got an email one year (can't remember the year. Want to say 2016?) because my name is SUPER common (think the most anglo saxon first and last name for women possible) and there was another attendee with a reservation too.  I responded that we were different and they let us both have submissions.  If all of the room people are the same, though, that's beyond coincidence. 

Emails, addresses, etc I don't think have been proven to be flagged, but I wouldn't risk it.  You can always correct the information on whatever submission gets a room later.  I know that two of my roommates are married and have the same address, but I don't think their submissions have ever been flagged as duplicates.  But it's possible it was and we were just never told so.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
I would alter everything slightly just to play it safe.  We know for sure that names get flagged.  I got an email one year (can't remember the year. Want to say 2016?) because my name is SUPER common (think the most anglo saxon first and last name for women possible) and there was another attendee with a reservation too.  I responded that we were different and they let us both have submissions.  If all of the room people are the same, though, that's beyond coincidence. 

Emails, addresses, etc I don't think have been proven to be flagged, but I wouldn't risk it.  You can always correct the information on whatever submission gets a room later.  I know that two of my roommates are married and have the same address, but I don't think their submissions have ever been flagged as duplicates.  But it's possible it was and we were just never told so.

I wouldn't suggest more than one submission, but I get it if you and your roommates are at work and you can't communicate you aren't going to have just one person try.  At that point, I would communicate in advance to find out what you are putting in to make sure you don't duplicate.

I know husbands and wives have been flagged for the same address or home phone.  I have also heard, email, name, it all seems to vary.  Luckily I am the only person in the world with my last name entering.  No I won't tell you what it is.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
The past few years, my sister and I have played it safe. We obviously use different email addys, and we use different mailing addresses. But I use her middle name as my guest, and she uses my middle name as her guest. So honestly, the only thing that they could possibly flag as duplicate is that we're both trying from the same IP address. Although a couple times, just to play it even safer, I've used a VPN for my session, so OnPeak will see different IPs for our sessions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:58:03 AM by accelerate »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
I know husbands and wives have been flagged for the same address or home phone.  I have also heard, email, name, it all seems to vary.  Luckily I am the only person in the world with my last name entering.  No I won't tell you what it is.

Ohhhhh this is good to know.  As far as I know my husband and wife roommates have NOT been flagged.  But I'll relay this information to them just in case.  In the three years we've been doing this, they haven't been the ones to secure a room for us anyway.  So I suppose it's possible they HAVE been flagged.  When I was flagged, I got an email about it (and was able to fix it).  Is an email in these situations standard or do they just delete them without notification?

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »
Ohhhhh this is good to know.  As far as I know my husband and wife roommates have NOT been flagged.  But I'll relay this information to them just in case.  In the three years we've been doing this, they haven't been the ones to secure a room for us anyway.  So I suppose it's possible they HAVE been flagged.  When I was flagged, I got an email about it (and was able to fix it).  Is an email in these situations standard or do they just delete them without notification?

This! This is what I'm worried about. Not knowing that 2 similar submissions can get flagged and being removed from the sale without even knowing.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:01 AM »
This! This is what I'm worried about. Not knowing that 2 similar submissions can get flagged and being removed from the sale without even knowing.

Yep, so play it safe.  I'm going to be relaying that to my husband/wife duo as well.  We already change names but we're going to adjust accordingly this year.  Thanks for bringing this up!

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2019, 11:48:36 AM »
Yep, so play it safe.  I'm going to be relaying that to my husband/wife duo as well.  We already change names but we're going to adjust accordingly this year.  Thanks for bringing this up!

No, thank YOU - for appreciating my anal retentivness.

This is the sh*t I'm worried about when I should be working. Lol
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:05:31 PM by Virgo911 »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »

You get an email if you both secured a hotel.  But if they take out your submission before they delegate them you get no notice.  That is how we truly learned they just remove duplicates.  When they moved to the lotto that first year there were tons of people that got nothing.  When they called they found they were removed for same names, phone numbers, emails etc. 

I think the amount of good hotels in the 2nd round show less is flagged as duplicates and people take the room they need and release the other rooms.  So the good news is 2nd round doesn't always mean you are doomed, but the chances of a downtown hotel are lower.  BUt if you are in the same house I still suggest just filling out the one that gets in first to be safe!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »
You get an email if you both secured a hotel.  But if they take out your submission before they delegate them you get no notice.  That is how we truly learned they just remove duplicates.  When they moved to the lotto that first year there were tons of people that got nothing.  When they called they found they were removed for same names, phone numbers, emails etc. 

I think the amount of good hotels in the 2nd round show less is flagged as duplicates and people take the room they need and release the other rooms.  So the good news is 2nd round doesn't always mean you are doomed, but the chances of a downtown hotel are lower.  BUt if you are in the same house I still suggest just filling out the one that gets in first to be safe!

Ohhhhhhhh shooooot.  This means that 2 of our group have probably been removed without us even knowing for years.  No wonder we've been consistently unlucky.

Proof here folks that even people who have been attending for a long time (since 2011) can learn new things!  God, I love this forum <3

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh shooooot.  This means that 2 of our group have probably been removed without us even knowing for years.  No wonder we've been consistently unlucky.

Proof here folks that even people who have been attending for a long time (since 2011) can learn new things!  God, I love this forum <3

Yep, it's why I tell people only do one form if possible.  Tons of people think they are unlucky but in reality, it's the duplicates that get them.   I get it though we all want rooms and if you have more than one person in your room why would only one person try.  That would be like your family only logging in with one of the registration codes.  But remember just like you can only get one badge, you can only get one room.  Just sadly the system doesn't tell you upfront you have been blocked.  Since time isn't a factor in filling out the form we have a group text.  The first person to get in texts that they are going to submit.  Then we know not to submit ours.   So far the strategy works for us.