Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14748 times)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2018, 01:31:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Getting back on-topic regarding the popularity of SDCC...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone read or heard about Rob Salkowitz's book Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture: What the World’s Wildest Trade Show Can Tell Us About the Future of Entertainment

(I just heard of it myself while I was searching away on Amazon, but I might be curious enough to read it, ha ha.  XD)

There are a few pages of excerpts on the Amazon website as well, if anyone is interested in checking it out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Summary from Amazon:
Great find! As a university dean who has attended Comic-Con for the last 10 years and has been influenced in my decision making, particularly in my department of visual arts, this is a must read for me! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2018, 06:03:00 AM »
I think the popularity of SDCC for some types of fans will wane, and maybe has already begun to fade.  It is soooo intense for most of us to assemble all the parts it takes to come to the con.   So many choices, so much walking, and waiting.  I have to be really clear in my soul as to what I want for so much effort.  For me it has mainly been the atmosphere, the people, the energy.  I can sit outside on one of the benches and watch 'my people' walk by and I feel wonderful.  I can sidle into a panel that I didn't have on my list and find great discussions going on inside.  I can have one of my fave actors simply walk across my path, and say 'hi'. At SDCC, I can relax and breathe in the fandoms that make me feel like I am 'home'.   
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 05:17:41 AM »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2018, 01:52:28 PM »
Saw this article from the Hollywood Reporter.  Live events is the way to go, but it will be interesting to see how they activate at these events. 

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2018, 04:47:07 AM »
What an interesting article.  Everybody wants their piece of the pie.  The whole world is becoming one big convention, with tracks every week.  This week Disney, next week BET, then Nickelodeon...maybe grocery store chains will join in. Come to Publix con! Attend the deli panel and try our new food items!  Cosplay as your favorite Publix bakery confection--Publix gift card awards will be given! Experience battling chefs with new recipies! Kapow!  Hmmm...maybe it is too early in the morning, and I should just shut my brain off for a bit. ;D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
HBO is out. Lot of no-shows at SDCC this year. I know most have stated that the reason they're skipping is either because of production schedules or nothing to show but I think we may be seeing the beginning of the end of the media behemoth SDCC is/was.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
HBO is out. Lot of no-shows at SDCC this year. I know most have stated that the reason they're skipping is either because of production schedules or nothing to show but I think we may be seeing the beginning of the end of the media behemoth SDCC is/was.
I’m not panicking... yet.

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »
I’m not panicking... yet.

Seems like, at least up to this point, that most of the drop-outs will only be affecting Hall H... CCI is lots more than just Hall H (although I know that for a great many people Hall H is where it's it).

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »

Yeah it's a really weird year. No MCU.  No HBO.  Lots of offsites are also gone (Nerd HQ, Conival, SyFy Live).

But you know what? I'm fine. It sucks things I love aren't there but SDCC is still a draw to me.  I'll just be doing different things.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:53 PM »
Has there been any word whether Nathan Fillion will be promoting The Rookie at SDCC this year? It’s not a geek oriented show, but that didn’t stop ABC from promoting Castle at the Con in the past.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
Has there been any word whether Nathan Fillion will be promoting The Rookie at SDCC this year? It’s not a geek oriented show, but that didn’t stop ABC from promoting Castle at the Con in the past.

No word yet but ABC usually has a presence and Nathan loves SDCC so I'd say it's a strong possibility.  It's essentially "Castle... Again" so yeah.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
GoT was always iffy this year because of the production schedule. Westworld is a disappointment though. However, one of the best SDCCs for me was 2011 when there was no Marvel and the  Saturday Hall H highlight was Snow White and the Huntsmsn

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
GoT was always iffy this year because of the production schedule. Westworld is a disappointment though. However, one of the best SDCCs for me was 2011 when there was no Marvel and the  Saturday Hall H highlight was Snow White and the Huntsmsn

I figured they'd accommodate for SDCC. It's their last year and their last chance to have a huge SDCC blow out so I figured it'd be their best panel yet.  But... here we are.

Offline epicskyline

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
I was always guessing that the last season of GOT would air at the end of the summer, making next year the big blow out. We’ll see, since we still don’t know the air date for it. I think this is year is a perfect storm of off-scheduling, with GOT and Westworld both not returning for a year plus. I also think Netflix is likely to skip again this year for exactly the same reason. And we already know that’s why Marvel isn’t coming. Hopefully cool stuff will take their places, and I bet next year is going to be the return of everything.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
I also think Netflix is likely to skip again this year for exactly the same reason.

Netflix isn't skipping. I got a press release this morning about Iron Fist.  It will be there.  Not sure about other properties, but at least one of their shows will be present.  The press release was very vague, though, so I'm not sure what capacity it'll be there.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
I was always guessing that the last season of GOT would air at the end of the summer, making next year the big blow out. We’ll see, since we still don’t know the air date for it. I think this is year is a perfect storm of off-scheduling, with GOT and Westworld both not returning for a year plus. I also think Netflix is likely to skip again this year for exactly the same reason. And we already know that’s why Marvel isn’t coming. Hopefully cool stuff will take their places, and I bet next year is going to be the return of everything.

I keep on forgetting that no formal release date has been announced for GoT. Even if the final season airs before SDCC 2019, I still think they're going to have a farewell panel. I feel like GoT is one of those shows that has really shaped pop-culture that it would be a crime for it not to have one last panel at SDCC.