Author Topic: NYCC Reviews  (Read 10183 times)

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
Re: NYCC Reviews
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know the Marvel booth was even complaining about the Stan Lee both and heard them call for security a few times on Saturday (I think it was Saturday) because of line issues and the fact that their line was blocking the Marvel booth.
Yes the Marvel Booth was not happy at all about the line from the Stan Lee Booth. I understand the guy from marvel didn't want his booth blocked but he also didn't handle the situation very well. He was taking it out on the people in the line and acting very rude to us in an attempt to get us to leave. Then when he called security and when they didn't immediately do exactly as he wanted he acted like a little child who didn't get his way and didn't even give security a chance to try to figure out what to do with the line so that maybe they could make everyone happy. Security was trying to work it out at first to figure out what to do with the line but the marvel booth guy was being such a pain that they just gave up and made everyone leave. Once that happened security also became kind of rude and angry and told anyone who didn't leave right away they would have there badge taken away. While all this was happening no one from the stan lee booth even bothered to come over and talk to anyone or actually do anything at all to fix the situation or tell us when to come back or what to do.  The whole situation was just a mess. Stan lee booth should have had a better plan for the line. They had to know they were going to get a huge amount of people for Stan Lee signing. But they really don't care about anything related to customer service. worse company i have ever had the displeasure to deal with.
But i also blame the marvel booth for inflaming the situation and not even wanting to listen to any attempt to fix the situation except  if it was the answer they wanted to hear which was to get rid of the line completely.
And security while trying to help at first gave up rather quick and only wanted everyone to leave without giving any information on what to do. and then threatening to take away badges for just asking questions.
As i'm sure everyone can tell i am still highly annoyed by the situation.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
I know Stan had one signing in a room. That's how he should be handled I think. It causes too much drama to have him out on the floor between the lines and people just trying to sneak a peak and grab a quick photo. OR put that booth in another area away from other popular booths. It doesn't take a genius to know that Stan Lee is going to draw a crowd.

I honestly might take a break from NYCC. This year was just way too crowded, even for me. The way the place is laid out, it's hard to just find a spot to hide for a minute. I know I missed most of the floor because I just couldn't get around.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:01:59 AM »

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know Stan had one signing in a room. That's how he should be handled I think. It causes too much drama to have him out on the floor between the lines and people just trying to sneak a peak and grab a quick photo. OR put that booth in another area away from other popular booths. It doesn't take a genius to know that Stan Lee is going to draw a crowd.

I honestly might take a break from NYCC. This year was just way too crowded, even for me. The way the place is laid out, it's hard to just find a spot to hide for a minute. I know I missed most of the floor because I just couldn't get around.

I agree with you about Stan Lee.

It's funny because my friends and i found this year the crowds on the show floor to be more manageable then last year. I  think a lot of it depends on timing. If you end up going down an aisle when something is happening like people are stopping to take pics of someone in cosplay it gets really crowded. But for the most part i found it much easier to move around this year compared to last year.
I honestly don't see any difference in crowds and crowd control between NYCC and SDDC. At times at last years SDCC i was ready to give up and leave because i was stuck in a crowd that just wasn't moving.
I think the biggest problem as far as crowds and keeping people moving is the whole stopping for pics of people in cosplay. It just really backs up the crowds and is a big problem. Not really sure what can be done about it though.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Most of the "stop and go" issues I saw were due to people not knowing where they wanted to go or what they wanted to do. I never had traffic issues because of cosplayers. Maybe it depended on the area of the floor. Any of the cosplayers that were stopped all moved out of the flow of traffic as far as I could tell.

I just feel like every inch of that convention center is packed. During SDCC, I can easily find a quiet spot. I do it every year. Once I sat on the back steps looking at the Bay for 20 minutes just to get some fresh air. There are other parts that are pretty quiet as well. Plus with the location of the CC, you can leave and find other things to do to get a break. Because of the location of Javits, there really isn't anything else to do unless you want to walk a lot of blocks.

I know it sounds crazy for someone who's been to SDCC to say that NYCC was packed and crazy but that's how it felt to me this year. I mean, this year at SDCC I really had no issues walking the floor. In fact, some days it was almost creepy how easily I could walk around.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
Security made the Stan Lee situation worse at SDCC a couple of years ago.  There was no one around them and they stretched out their arms and started yelling “Keep moving everyone!” over and over which caused a crowd to form to see what they were yelling about. 

Rocket surgeon came up with that one.   :)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »
I wanted to add, I did have a good time. I finally got to meet Kelly Sue and get some comics signed and a photo. I attended a few panels that were on my list. I chatted with Zac Levi and saw "First Date" plus hung out with friends I only see at conventions. Plus I got my Rocket Raccoon.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
I had a ticket for the Stan Lee signing And made an attempt Saturday morning. The security people caped the line and were not all too friendly but this was due mainly on poor line management. Hearing about the Marvel manager reaction is disappointing considering they had huge lines themselves that same morning and he could have approached the issue better.

The folks working Stan Lees booth were nice during my encounters on Friday and Saturday morning but they were not staffed to handle the line and I do not think they know what to do. Needless to say after I was told to come back later I returned 15 or 20 minutes later and was able to walk right up and get my autograph. It was a bit rushed and there was no personalization but I got the signature.

Line management and coordination with neighboring booths is crucial if one expects long lines or signings. For comparison BBC America, FOX, and Legendary had good systems in place for SDCC. It is now up to Reedpop to figure out how to minimize issues in upcoming years.

Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog