Author Topic: Award Shows... Golden Globes/Critics Awards  (Read 2232 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Award Shows... Golden Globes
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Agreed.  I always remember the Golden Globe nominations for The Tourist, to get Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie to attend their party.  The movie was awful.
YES!  That was the most recent example I was thinking when I typed what I did!  While the HFPA does donate significant money to journalist stuff (i.e. it serves a great purpose in general), I always thought their awards were just pointless fun: never a great harbinger for what the "real" awards would be.  See the Guild awards for a MUCH better predictor of The Oscars.  The Globes are always fun to watch because 1) it's a game of "who is the most drunk at the podium (it's the ONLY awards show that has drinking, though the Independent Spirit Awards might as well) and 2) as the night draws on and the people become more inebriated the speeches get a lot more fun.  Other than that, who cares (though of course you can make similar arguments on why the typical "old guys patting themselves on the back" Oscars are also dumb).  I can tell you for a FACT when it comes to The Academy typically either the voters 1) don't care much or 2) vote for friends/against adversaries.  I've actually voted for friends/colleagues Oscar and SAG ballots in the 1990s because the actresses either didn't care enough to vote and knew as a uber movie nerd they could 'trust' me or  they didn't see enough movies to feel good about voting (the times I did I actually did well too  8) )

But that in itself is a problem: winning for the band rather than the film. It should only be about what is on screen.

The Golden Globals became irrelevant when they put The Tourist as one of the best films of the year. This year's winners continue that irrelevance.
For the most parts the Globes have ALWAYS been irrelevant.  They're more "star F@$#ers" than anything else, which is why if a movie star is in a TV series or limited series they almost certainly WILL get nominated, if not win.  I sincerely wonder if they voted for BOHEMIAN to win just salivating at the thought of having the actual band at the ceremony/up on stage  :P

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Award Shows... Golden Globes/Critics Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 09:21:33 PM »
wow, granted i started watching the critics awards late but the seeming over all quality of nominees and general lack of production is refreshing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:24:48 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:45:05 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:01 PM »
Well, the list of must watch shows is increasing

Roma, best picture
vice, best male actor
the wife, best female actor
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
Well, the list of must watch shows is increasing

Roma, best picture
vice, best male actor
the wife, best female actor

ROMA is brilliant: yet another Curan masterpiece.
I really liked VICE, but I can see others may not.  Regardless, Bale is off-the-hook as Cheney and deserve every accolade he gets
I need to see THE WIFE; Glenn Close is an incredible actress, so I have no doubt she's also deserving of her praise.

I didn't get to watch the Critics' Awards, but the winners list looks MUCH closer to what I would praise vs the Golden Globes

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
I didn't get to watch the Critics' Awards, but the winners list looks MUCH closer to what I would praise vs the Golden Globes
I only caught the last hr of the show but that is exactly how it felt, as tho the nomine's were judged on skill & merit rather then popularity.