Author Topic: 2014 Press Registration  (Read 33475 times)

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
Re: 2014 Press Registration
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm also applying for press this year.  For first timers, when does that happen?  I'm sure we have a decent shot at getting it. Some of our accounts are being followed by official TV show accounts (Hannibal, the Blacklist) and we've been cited by other outlets for our reports.  We aren't officially certified yet, but we're working on that (is that a requirement? because we're trying).  I just don't want to miss the window since we've been working so hard at becoming legit press.

Just got the email that announced that press registration is open.

"Dear X

We are pleased to announce that the press application period for Comic-Con 2014 is now open!

If you are a member of the press and would like to apply for a Comic-Con 2014 press badge, please visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and download the “Comic-Con 2014 Instructions to Apply as Press“ PDF. Press applications and verification materials must be postmarked or emailed by December 13, 2013. Applications sent after this date will not be considered.

Once you have submitted your application and verification materials, please allow 4 - 6 weeks for processing and review. You will be notified via email if you are approved or declined.

Sincerely,

Karen Mayugba

Press Registrar

Comic-Con International

P.O. Box 128458

San Diego, CA 92112-8458

The SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION, INC., (Comic-Con International) is a nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular artforms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.

This email pertains to press registration only.  If you do not intend to apply as press for Comic-Con 2014, please disregard this message.  This message is not related to exhibitor, program participant, professional, volunteer, or attendee registration."

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
If you're applying for the first time, good luck!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:53:55 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
Okay, here comes the speculation...

The deadline for press application is December 31. I suspect that CCI  does not want to be dealing with press applications during the general sale. That would imply to me that the pre-registration will be either well before the press applications are due (implying early-mid November again) OR potentially late December (the 21st?) after they know how many press applications they have and therefore have a better idea of how many badges they might need for press.

My guess is that this points to an earlier pre-registration in November. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Offline Patman

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
What is your outlet if you don't mind me asking?

I show up on  behalf of the Home Theater Forum. 

angel_k

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
My friend messaged me this morning letting me know press registration was active. I downloaded the packets andthen started filling them out and then got an email about 3 hours later that it was open.   So we're compiling everything and will send it off tonight.

Lords of Kobol hear my prayer
Praying to the Old Gods and the New
Praise the Glow Cloud!

There.  I think I have all my favorite fictional deities covered.

Offline supreme126

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »
Sorry if this seems like a lame question (newbie here...)

I will applying on behalf of a blog I write for (There are 4 of us but I will be the only one going). Should I include our stats and such with the application?

angel_k

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
Sorry if this seems like a lame question (newbie here...)

I will applying on behalf of a blog I write for (There are 4 of us but I will be the only one going). Should I include our stats and such with the application?

I am not expert, but a friend of mine helped me with mine and he's been press for 3 years now.  For blogs it asks for archive verification and we included a sort of cover letter with ours explaining who we are, what we do, and our accomplishments.  He looked over the letter and said it was great (with some structure feedback since he's familiar with how press works).  He said nothing about stats specifically, but he encouraged us to include accomplishments with ours.  The application didn't have spot for it but since they asked for supplemental materials (archives), that is where we included that information.

Now since I've already submitted (Lords of Kobol hear my prayer) any advice from here on doesn't apply to me....  :(  But I hope it helps you!   Good luck!

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
As far as what to submit, be sure to take your time and see what they have listed. I think for "blogs" you need to submit archives but not exact numbers. Just be sure to read everything twice and take your time with filling out the forms and selecting your articles.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 06:19:39 AM »
I'm not gonna rush this. Get as much as I can from all the places I write for, and also include some of the film video blogs I present. Hopefully I give them more than enough stuff for verification.
We don't seem to have many UK outlets that cover SDCC, not sure if that makes much difference to when they look at verifying you.

angel_k

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »
Taking your time is probably a good thing, but my friend said earlier is better because they tend to "run out" of press badges.   I have one source I'm getting all of my information from so take that with a grain of salt.  But he also wanted to know if we get rejected ASAP so he can "make some phone calls" and I have no idea what he means by that, but hey I'm not going to decline help.  We all want to see if we can make it without help, though.  We've been working our butt off to become legit press and I feel like we're almost there.  It we get this it'll be some validation that we've succeeded.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
I don't mean take days or weeks, just to make sure everyone takes the time to read all the details. It's easy to miss important info when you're all OMGZ MUST APPLY when things like this are announced. I normally read through it once. Then come back a few hours later to read it again with a clear mind then start putting everything together.

Offline supreme126

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
Ok, another dumb questions...

When they say for bloggers, you need to submit three posts from an established outlet, what is considered an "established outlet"?

Do those posts have to be by just me or can I submit posts both others I work with as well to show our (team) work?

Thanks so much for your help guys and gals!

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
You should submit articles YOU wrote since YOU are the one applying.  I believe established means 18+ months or older. I think it use to be 24 months? That I'm not 100% sure on.

Offline supreme126

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
Thanks.

I wasn't sure if "established" meant links or quotes from other websites.

We are into year 4 now so we have the 18 months covered :)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
They don't want links or quotes. They want articles that include your byline/name.