Author Topic: NYCC: How does NYCC stack up against SDCC?  (Read 10497 times)

Offline the7thcandidate

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
Re: Comparing NYCC to SDCC
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
It seemed to me like you had to walk several blocks from the Javits Center before you really start to see attractions, but I was probably wrong on that.

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
no you do, your not wrong. I was just also pointing out that while there may not be dedicated NYCC events righto outside the convention center like their is for SDCC you are still in manhattan
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: NYCC: How does NYCC stack up against SDCC?
« Reply #32 on: Today at 12:52:11 PM »

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
Nice article. Should see the surrounding area become less of wasteland, in the future. There are number of construction projects going on in around the Javits center. This is just one of them:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
no you do, your not wrong. I was just also pointing out that while there may not be dedicated NYCC events righto outside the convention center like their is for SDCC you are still in manhattan
I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of stuff on 10th ave
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
Really nice succinct article! After going to NYCC the last 2 years and SDCC ... I feel the biggest difference is the corporate big company/vendor piece. SDCC I feel is now like 70% big company/vendors (HBO, Fox, Lionsgate, AMC, Hasbro, Mattel, Nintendo, Lego, etc.) and 30% smaller vendors, NYCC seems to be the opposite. The biggest vendors at NYCC from a booth presence were Marvel and well Marvel. Lego had a small booth there but Geico Insurance, AT&T, even Chevrolet had "big" booths and presence. Now I did get a nice SWAG NYCC t-shirt from the Chevy booth so I'm not complaining too loud but it's not like it was Chevy advertising Transformers, it was really just Chevrolet cars! :)
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline the7thcandidate

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
Agreed! The lack of major studios on the floor also helps out with those pesky human traffic jams. I remember being in front of the WB booth during a 'Supernatural' signing this year. It was horrible. The only small downside to not having the big studios set up at NYCC is the lack of swag. But that's really not a huge deal.

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Really nice succinct article! After going to NYCC the last 2 years and SDCC ... I feel the biggest difference is the corporate big company/vendor piece. SDCC I feel is now like 70% big company/vendors (HBO, Fox, Lionsgate, AMC, Hasbro, Mattel, Nintendo, Lego, etc.) and 30% smaller vendors, NYCC seems to be the opposite. The biggest vendors at NYCC from a booth presence were Marvel and well Marvel. Lego had a small booth there but Geico Insurance, AT&T, even Chevrolet had "big" booths and presence. Now I did get a nice SWAG NYCC t-shirt from the Chevy booth so I'm not complaining too loud but it's not like it was Chevy advertising Transformers, it was really just Chevrolet cars! :)

This was actually what I didn't like about NYCC when I went. What do Geico and AT&T have to do with comics or pop culture? Why are they a large presence on the exhibit hall floor, but Lego is not? It kinda reminds me of product placement in movies. NYCC was a great show - far superior artist's alley in my opinion - but all of the non-comics related sponsored rubbed me the wrong way. I don't like getting "shilled" to.

There is a great thread somewhere else in this forum where John Rogers (president of SDCC) gave an interview over the weekend and he talked about how SDCC picks it's exhibitors and sponsors. Apparently they could make a TON of money if they partnered with car companies or cell phone companies, but it doesn't meet their mission statement. Can you imagine if SDCC had a big Mountain Dew booth in the middle of their hall?!?  ;D ;D >:D

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
I'd be in HEAVEN if SDCC had a giant Mountain Dew booth that gave out free Dew.

And keep in mind, NYCC can invite companies until their blue in the face, but they can't make them accept or attend.

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »
I'd be in HEAVEN if SDCC had a giant Mountain Dew booth that gave out free Dew.

And keep in mind, NYCC can invite companies until their blue in the face, but they can't make them accept or attend.
  I was thinking we could all benefit from a big AXE body spray booth  ;)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
  I was thinking we could all benefit from a big AXE body spray booth  ;)

AXE body spray might be too strong though.  I think a Febreze spray booth might be better. *laughs*
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 06:10:53 AM »
AXE body spray might be too strong though.  I think a Febreze spray booth might be better. *laughs*

LOL I was coming in to say the same!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
LOL I was coming in to say the same!

At the convention I staff for (unrelated to Comic-Con, ha ha), we have Febreze spray bottles that we occasionally use to freshen up the concert hall or venue in-between the aisles.  Totally worth having a few of them handy!  Ha ha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline the7thcandidate

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
I would love an Axe and Febreze  booth at NYCC! Lol And I loved how SK Energy was handing out free energy shots on the floor. Those really came in handy. I think the reason you see Geico and Chevy on the floor is because Reed Pop is a for profit company, whereas CCI is not. Sponcerings like that is how NYCC is able to offer Special Access badges, VIP badges, and the like. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I also would love to see a Mountain Dew booth. I'm just sayin'.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »
Of all the random vendors we could have at a convention, a deoderant or body spray company would be a HIT. I mean, we've had Schick giving away razors and shaves the last two years, for gods sake. It would certainly make everyone happier :)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
Axe would make a killing!
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog