Author Topic: "Best" Hotel for Wondercon?  (Read 18853 times)

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Re: "Best" Hotel for Wondercon?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
Avoid the fifth floor at the Hilton, if want a short walk to elevator . The fifth floor contains the swimming pool and Lanai lounge and a butt load of rooms

And the Sixth floor too
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:27:26 PM by Jim Watari »
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Alamo didn't have anymore 96 dollar rooms so I book a room at the Anahiem Express Inn instead. They said a 50 dollar deposit is required and I can pay in cash
Glad you got a room. I drove home after I picked up my badge and what 40 minutes to drive down there took over an hr to drive back. But I had cookies to bake and Easter baskets to put together and yeah still need to pack  ::)
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 03:27:01 PM »

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
Kappo you doing all three days again? I think Rando is staying at the Marriott or one of the deals Kitty posted awhile ago

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Yes, I am. But at Anabella Hotel. (Booked too late and Hilton / Marriot were sold out).
I'll be there in 2 hours or so!

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2014, 07:16:17 AM »
I booked Friday at Marriott,  checked in at 1:00pm got room on 1st floor with 2 double beds. Internet was 12.95 a day but free in lobby. Room also had a mini fridge in the room.  Was very Conveinent for attending anime n games in the evening. Unfortunately, always ended up parking on the roof. Parking was included n price and had in n out privledges. They give u u a parking stub to use.

Saturday moved over to Hilton. Checked n at 1130 room was available, this time all the way up on 14 floor,  2 queen beds but no fridge.  Parking was more accessible than Marriott and was always able to get parking in the structure, didn't have to go to roof, but parking not included n price ($16) although, like the Marriott it includes in n out privileges, but u have to give ur name n room number everytime. The noise level in lobby reminds me of Vegas. Elevators were frequently full and would have to wait for 3 or 4 cars till u could get in.

Overall,  15 yr old daughter prefers Marriott & so do I, so next yr Marriott for us.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:02:03 PM by dolphinax2 »
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
I'm thinking I'll switch to the Marriott next year.

The Hilton has a weird building design and being on the 5th or 6th really sucked if you wanted a short walk to the elevator. The condition of their carpeting left a lot to be desired. The house keeping of the rooms was the worse I'd ever seen. No fridge , only one power outlet available on the pull out desk, (lucky for me I packed an power strip). I used iPhone for WiFi and did get free AT&T WiFi on my phone since I have AT&T plan , but the WiFi would not work on my laptop , so I used my iPhone as a WiFi hot spot . I did not eat any meals at the Hilton and there seemed to be only one restaurant "Mix". I'd eaten previously at the Marriott restaurant down stairs in the lobby , so I ate there again and it was fine. The clock radio was off by an hour and there seemed to be no way to fix it. There was low level stinky smell in the bathroom that was annoying. The water from the tap was so hard that the water looked white, I guess they are too cheap to get a water softener. Being so close to Disneyland I guess  really don't care about repeat customers and assume the Hilton name will keep their hotel filled.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline itsmarty

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
I've stayed at the Marriott the last couple of years and it's worked out very well. The convention price of $119/night is a great deal, too, considering the 'con rate' for next year's Star Wars Celebration is $199/night.

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
I stayed at the Anabella Hotel.
Good:
- Free WiFi (speed of it was decent)
- 5 Minutes walk to the con
- Wooden floor / Room was decent,

Not so good:
- Parking is horrible, they don't have enough parking spots for all the guests, you have to park on the fire lane (I didn't, but lots of people did) and they charge $15 per night, and if you don't leave at check out it's $7 more.
- Room smelled "not fresh"
- No vending machines for drinks/snacks
- No food options

I think next year I'll try to get the Marriott (if WonderCon stays in OC), which I preferred last time (but I think there was no free WiFi)

Offline Laminas92675

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:10 PM »
I didn't know the Marriott had a fridge. I might end up staying there next year.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »
I've stayed at the Marriott the last couple of years and it's worked out very well. The convention price of $119/night is a great deal, too, considering the 'con rate' for next year's Star Wars Celebration is $199/night.
My son attends BlizzCon which is held in November at the Anaheim Convention Center, Marriott is sold out already (was announced 2 days ago) and Hilton was $259/night. Love the WonderCon room rate

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
Blizzcon was crazy last year. Not surprised most of the hotels went quickly last time. No free wifi at Marriot but the lobby has free wifi, and usually plenty of seating.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
Yeah, my daughter and I stayed there one night for WonderCon but will stay two nights next WonderCon and this year my son is staying at the Sheraton for BlizzCon (seems like it is just as hard to get tickets for that as it is SDCC) so he caan tell me what he thinks of the Sheraton, but I don't think the Sheraton was offering special rates for WonderCon.