Author Topic: 2014 Comic Con Panel Playback DVD  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
2014 Comic Con Panel Playback DVD
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
It's now day two post Comic Con and if you're like me you've been watching videos on youtube, vimeo or dailymotion about Comic Con.  This got me thinking and I sent the following to CCI.

Dear CCI,

First off, thank you for a great con!  My family and I really enjoyed ourselves!

As great as it was there is always room for improvement and as you know plenty of people are frustrated about the lines for Hall H and B20.  My child is five and is not able to camp out which meant I couldn't see anything in Hall H.  Fortunately, there's youtube, vimeo and dailymotion and I have been watching several panels that I couldn't make it into.  However, these videos are all over the web and vary in quality.  Since Panel Playback is already made, why not burn or stamp these onto DVD?  Create an official Panel Playback DVD that could be sold to attendees!  This would increase accessibility and expose people to more of what the con has to offer.  Please consider this for next year's con.

I will see you in 2014!

Long live Comic Con!

I am a can do kind of guy and not a can't do.  I look for ways for things to get done.  If you think this is a good idea, please contact CCI!  I would happily cough up $25 for a chance to watch this over and over!
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: 2014 Comic Con Panel Playback DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
I think the idea is good. However I suspect that the exclusive footage couldn't be included (just like its not included in panel playback) and there might be copyright issues.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:43:38 AM »

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the idea is good. However I suspect that the exclusive footage couldn't be included (just like its not included in panel playback) and there might be copyright issues.

Yup. No exclusive footage.

And probably a lot of legal haggling with the studios over the rights to the content.

If anything, I'd rather see pressure put on the studios to share the content - some now do post on their websites soon as the panel is over.

If I've learned anything over all the years, it seems that CCI would rather defer to others to make a decision before they have to step in themselves. Contact Epic, reach out to Ace, work with Travel Planners, it's the studios decision.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
I have seen a lot if CCI panels as bonus content of DVDs.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
I have seen a lot if CCI panels as bonus content of DVDs.

Same here.  Actually one of my questions to Guillermo Del Toro for Hellboy was on the second release three disc set for Hellboy.  They took me out but the first question is mine.

Yeah, exclusive stuff would out but everything which already all over the web would be in one nice location.  I like the idea of being able to revisit old cons just by hitting play.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
I think the content/footage of the panel is property of who makes the panel, and not CCI

Offline jasonsmith

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
At least with the footage people shoot, you might could see the exclusive content to know what they are talking about.