Author Topic: GenCon: August 2-5, 2018  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
GenCon: August 2-5, 2018
« on: August 22, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
Okay, now that this year's GenCon is over, who is planning to attend next year? [member=1222]mllNY[/member]  [member=737]DaveG[/member]  ? Anyone else?  I know my family is planning to be there!!

Mods, please add this event to the calendar.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:09:19 AM by Angology »

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
Re: GenCon: August 2-5, 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:09 AM »
Yes, already looking forward to it.  The good news is that it's early in August next year.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:03:18 AM »

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »
maybe, I think I'm leaning on yes though
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, already looking forward to it.  The good news is that it's early in August next year.

I agree! Next year my kids can come with us, which will be fun. I missed them this year.

Hope you can come too, Mllny!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Calendar link added!
Ang

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
Badge Registration will open on January 14, and Event Registration will be on May 6. Mark your calendars now!

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
So....housing registration information is now available.  Wow.  Can you imagine if SDCC were to try something like this?

Housing Registration

Housing registration for Gen Con 2018 will open on Sunday, February 11. In partnership with housing provider Q-rooms, we have made some adjustments to the housing registration process. Room assignments are now unique and personal to the Gen Con account holder who purchased the badge and requested the assignment. In 2018, room assignments cannot be transferred, traded, or otherwise re-assigned among Gen Con attendees. To register for housing, you must first purchase a Gen Con 2018 badge. Room assignments will stay connected with your account until housing registration closes or the room assignment is cancelled. For more information, head over to the Travel and Housing page.

Basically, you can only register for housing if you've already purchased a badge and then any hotel you book is assigned to you and cannot be transferred or traded.  Your choice is to either keep it or cancel it.  Although, I do have to wonder if the hotel will be more open to changes after they turn over the registrations to them on July 16th.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm wondering what's with the change. Did they have issues with people hoarding rooms last year? I thought the $50 cancelation fee would have been enough to prevent that...

Now if your plans fall through and you legitimately have to cancel, there's no way to avoid paying that fee....

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
GenCon tickets went on sale this morning! If you want to participate in the housing lottery, make sure you buy your badge by February 10!

Also, last year for the first time ever, GenCon sold out. They figured out the maximum number of people they wanted in the eent and didn't sell any more tickets than that. The same is quite likely to happen this year, so the earlier you buy your badge, the better.

Offline joey125

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member]

Had to search a bit to find the proper place to post/ask questions! It looks like we missed out for this year, but I will definitely try to bring my boys to GenCon next year. We host a D&D encounter with about a dozen 12-14 year-old boys and girls every Wednesday. IYO, would it be a good Con for teenage boys? They like D&D, dice masters, Pokémon and a few other tabletops I cannot recall at the moment.
🔥 bad. 🌳 pretty.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »

Had to search a bit to find the proper place to post/ask questions! It looks like we missed out for this year, but I will definitely try to bring my boys to GenCon next year. We host a D&D encounter with about a dozen 12-14 year-old boys and girls every Wednesday. IYO, would it be a good Con for teenage boys? They like D&D, dice masters, Pokémon and a few other tabletops I cannot recall at the moment.

You have not missed out! Badges are still available!

Hotel is another story. I believe there are still a few rooms out by the airport. It sounds like your kids would have a blast! I started bringing mine when they were 12 and 14.

It is an excellent con for teenagers (boys and girls) into D&D, Pokemon, tabletops/CCGs/RPGs in general. My son's favorite activities are casual LARPs, boffing (fighting with foam swords), Star Wars Destiny and casual RPGs.

If you are thinking about going, you are asking at the right time. The Event Lottery (where you buy tickets to the events you want to attend) happens in about 3 weeks. Essentially, instead of spending hours and hours in line all day, you can book the events/panels/games you want in advance. You may not get everything you want, but you know what you're doing before you get there and are guaranteed a seat, so there is almost no waiting in line. It makes it easy to plan meeting up with people, meals, etc.

If you want to go, and want advice on how to book your events, LMK. I am happy to help.

Offline joey125

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »

I think we might try it! We can drive AND if we can pick our events and cut out the line waiting I might be able to avoid the moaning and groaning of three boys!

Is there a forum for GenCon? I’d love to read people’s favorite experiences are so I could gauge what event tickets we might want to purchase in advance.

Also, I see on their website if we buy 5 badges we should be able to get the two rooms we need— hotels raise their rates outside the con room rates as well, sigh.

Wow. I’m pretty excited and so are my boys. One word. BOFFING.

Have you taken your kids to SDCC? We were thinking about it this year b/c two of them are still free, but Im afraid they’ll be horrible in long lines.

😊 thank you so much. It’s been a silly week. This helps!
🔥 bad. 🌳 pretty.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »

I think we might try it! We can drive AND if we can pick our events and cut out the line waiting I might be able to avoid the moaning and groaning of three boys!

Is there a forum for GenCon? I’d love to read people’s favorite experiences are so I could gauge what event tickets we might want to purchase in advance.

Also, I see on their website if we buy 5 badges we should be able to get the two rooms we need— hotels raise their rates outside the con room rates as well, sigh.

Wow. I’m pretty excited and so are my boys. One word. BOFFING.

Have you taken your kids to SDCC? We were thinking about it this year b/c two of them are still free, but Im afraid they’ll be horrible in long lines.

😊 thank you so much. It’s been a silly week. This helps!

[member=2206]joey125[/member]

Glad to hear that! I'll warn you, GenCon is an addictive con. It's one of those things that once you go, you'll want to go again every year. ;)

There is a GenCon forum, on the GenCon website.

It's not as active as FoCC, but you will find some helpful people there.

Yes, if you buy all of the badges yourself, then you'll be able to book 2 rooms together. Generally that's not the 'best' way to do it, but since the hotel lottery is over, you're okay doing that.

Make sure that you set up a GenCon account (with a unique email address) for EACH person attending, even kids. Make sure that you can access that email account, as well as the GenCon account. Then make sure all of the accounts friend each other. Now you can buy badges for your whole family, and you'll also be able to buy event tickets for each other.

Yes, hotels raise their rates outside of the block. It's cheap compared to SDCC, but not by most other standards. ;)  But like SDCC, you can find reasonably-priced lodging every day out by the airport. Since you already have a car, you're ahead of the game. There are close parking options at GenCon, and it's much easier to get parking than at SDCC.

Yep, I've taken my kids to SDCC for a number of years, and they had child badges for a long time (they're both juniors now, though). I trained them that 'the longer the line, the better the thing we're waiting for'. Then I made sure that they each had their own packed bag every day with activities and snacks. That way they could entertain themselves while we waited in line. If you have older ones, they can also take the younger ones off to do things while the adults wait.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:38:15 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18:53 PM »
hope everyone is enjoying gencon! I need to get back there one year
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
I got an email from Alpha with their panel plans. They also mentioned a party. I think it was a party. Did anyone go?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Ang