Author Topic: International Attendees - How Do You Get Your Stuff Home?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Br3nt0n

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
International Attendees - How Do You Get Your Stuff Home?
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
2018 is going to be my first time at the Con and while I've only got a ticket for 1 day, I plan on making the most of it shopping wise! My only concern is over buying and then having to get everything home. I'm travelling around the US afterwards, so taking it all with me isn't the best. What do other international attendees do in this situation? How easy is it to send stuff home?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
Re: International Attendees - How Do You Get Your Stuff Home?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »
I normally try and fit it all in my suitcase.
However, previously I have posted some stuff back to the UK. It cost a fair bit of money and took about 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:10:09 AM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »
I'm not quite international but live in Hawaii so pretty much the same thing.  Granted the fact that you are traveling around after SDCC this might not work but I typically do the suitcase within a suitcase thing.  I usually buy a bunch of stuff and grab a lot of swag which would cost me an arm and a leg to ship back.  Flying to SDCC I have a huge normal suitcase that I put a hard case suitcase inside of and then put my carry on bag inside of that which has my clothes for the trip.  In the gaps inside between the suitcases I stuff with the amazon prime air bag things that I end up using on the way back to pack/protect my purchases.  I usually kinda pack up my purchases/swag each night so I know how much room is left as Sunday is usually my big purchase day.  I put the more valuable stuff in the hard case, bigger and non fragile things in the giant suitcase, and cram everything heavy and book like in my carry on bag.  If you do have to ship stuff luckily they do have shipping services right in the convention center so at least you won't have to make an extra trip somewhere else to do so.  Also, as you will see here on the forums in the future some of the vendors will have pre-order options for you to have items shipped to you instead of picking up at the convention.  You are going to have a blast!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
Just to point out... a lot of the hotels downtown have shipping centers in them as well. The prices are just as outrageous as the convention center, but the lines are shorter. ;)

For example, the MMM has a FedEx in their business center, and the Hilton Bayfront has a UPS.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just to point out... a lot of the hotels downtown have shipping centers in them as well. The prices are just as outrageous as the convention center, but the lines are shorter. ;)

For example, the MMM has a FedEx in their business center, and the Hilton Bayfront has a UPS.
The MMM has a UPS store, not Fedex. I found the hotel ones to be a little more expensive, but I may be thinking of back when we were foolishly letting them pack the boxes for us.
Ang

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »
The MMM has a UPS store, not Fedex. I found the hotel ones to be a little more expensive, but I may be thinking of back when we were foolishly letting them pack the boxes for us.

Huh, I could have sworn that it was FedEx.... I might also be remembering form a few years ago.  Ah well, thanks for the correction!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
I feel lucky i live close to san diego, even though i dont wait in line for exclusives or get anything i dont need or want real bad. i collect swag where possible cause there is alot but depends on where u go and when cause i guess there are swag hunters who are like vultures i notice lol from last year. i try ask if can grab or get at time and get a no or gotta wait or a yes at time. i learned from reading around and planning to grab or get what u want most and some things didnt plan to get but got at time cause otehr stuff people just swarmed or waited around to get free stuff even if already had i guess lol. i dont know if some ask if u got already or just dont care cause they have boxes and open anything anytime, so u just gotta be at right both or display area at the right time before the vultures arrive and try take all for own collect or to ebay later by chance lol. nothing against those who sale on ebay, but think and guess from what i have read and learned that they sale for twice the amount for stuff even if got for free lol to anyone who want cause didnt get to go to con at time. i try budget or only take so much, but scored modern comics for cheap at time and striaght price cause both had no register so 50 cent comics and that all u paid lol no sales tax for extra hassles lol. so i guess it a win -win if not gotta pay any tax lol. i do skip exclusives cause lines long and if everyone uses a card always gotta way so it clears as i read some spend alot lol.

Offline Br3nt0n

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone!

Think I'll be spending the day after the con doing some packing and shipping before my travels!

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
I BRING ONLY one suit case, in it i pack another bag, a carry one, i bring a brief case or bag  as a personal item, i also bring clothing that can get throw away, this all gives me room to bring stuff back , i also have a mail box in Ny state so i can mail stuff back
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 04:48:07 PM »
I don't know how much of an option this is but do you have someone that can check your place for packages or can the local post office hold mail if it arrives early? We combine our trip to SDCC with visiting family so we're there about 2 weeks after SDCC ends. We pre-ordered things and sent some stuff that ended up getting back faster than we did. Luckily one of my husband's coworkers was willing to pass by and stack our boxes inside when they arrived.

I know UPS and FedEx in the states lets you track your packages and they will hold items for delivery too but I'm not sure if that works internationally since I know some companies contract/transfer to other delivery companies depending on the country. I scheduled the USPS to hold my mail... and they didn't hold my mail so my husband's coworker was a lifesaver. We would've probably lost so many packages otherwise.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »
Yea, from what i read i guess stuff has been stolen from door step so to speak in the past. i dont know if it all states but u read or see news about people stealing stuff after they see it dropped off at the time by chance. so good if u can have the place hold it at their business so u can go by and check in to bring it home urself. that would sux to spend so much to get and send and to have anyone come by and just steal it before u get home to get all sorted and stuff. also good to have anyone u know and trust to check things and have it all put in the house or place so it not get taken after it dropped of by any service at time.

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »
I'm Australian ... my number 1 recommendation would be to NOT use Fed Ex in the convention centre.  It is convenient but costs a FORTUNE.  If you want to ship stuff home, use USPS. 

We are also travelling afterwards but will have a vehicle, so we basically try to only buy as much as we can take home (but I'm fortunate that I"m allowed 3 pieces of luggage with the airline I'm travelling on), and it just travels with us for the week after SDCC. 

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »
I usually buy a 24 X 24 X 12 box and treat it as checked luggage.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
One thing I do, though I am not international.
Use the computers in the hotel to print out a shipping label and then they let me leave packages at the front desk that they got ot the mail man for me.
Was a very nice convenience.

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
I usually buy a 24 X 24 X 12 box and treat it as checked luggage.

Agree with the box idea - last year I came with one suitcase and then bought boxes at Walmart. Much cheaper than buying extra suitcases and fit more in (just be careful of the weight).